Tolls

It depends which booth you end up in and that job ends up in the hands of the wife some booths take cash some only take cards we carry both to be on the safe side.

We have the Sanav Bip & Go, works for us

Now living in Haute Vienne France

I pay by card and I jump out and put my card into the slot as when I have the van on the back my wife cant reach the slot to put the card into. The barrier will stay open until you have driven through. Make sure that you have your seat belt on before you pull away, if the police see you move off with no belt on they could stop you and fine you.

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I - sitting in the passenger seat - normally jump out and either feed in a note or a plastic card. Sometimes the machine wants you to put it in the top one as it thinks you're a lorry !! Hubby handed me his wallet once, I took the note out and fed it into the machine and must have put his wallet down somewhere. .... gone ! Not a happy hubby ! :o

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We have the Liber T tag via the French site rather than going via Sanef UK who charge more

http://www. aprr. fr/fr/souscrire_telepeage_liber_t/commandez_badge

Link it to UK credit card no problem and only €1. 60 each month we actually use it

Can use any non height restricted lane when towing and drive right up to barrier and wait for bleep and off you go. Pay for it all about 6 weeks later

Easy

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

When we got the motorhome we decided that we would get the SANEF Tag which makes like very easy as they bill you on a monthly basis. However for a two week holiday that might be a bit OTT. Previously we always paid by credit card, no need to sign or put in a pin, transaction done in seconds. With the increasing number of self service toll booths on exit, using a card is the easier option if you don't have a Tag.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We pay cash and as little as possible without making life difficult.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

When we got the motorhome we decided that we would get the SANEF Tag which makes like very easy as they bill you on a monthly basis. However for a two week holiday that might be a bit OTT. Previously we always paid by credit card, no need to sign or put in a pin, transaction done in seconds. With the increasing number of self service toll booths on exit, using a card is the easier option if you don't have a Tag.

David

What David says makes a load of sense, depends on how many times you are going to use European Toll Roads.

For a 2 or 3 week holiday stick with cards or cash IMHO.

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

We thought that before we had a tag!

Set up isn't that expensive as part of it is a returnable deposit ( €20?) and costs each year are only just more than a £1 month that you use it. You also have about 2 months or so to pay them off to spread the cost

There was an offer last year with Euro Tunnel for free set up and tag I believe with Sanef UK whoch may work better for some aswell

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Cor blimey, this place is a gold mine of information, I'd never heard of these 'tags' before, it would've saved a lot of mither last year, especially at one booh, wrong lane with irate motorists queueing behind.

ive found the tag great. it means if you travel in the evening and my wife is having a snooze, there is no need to wake her. also if its rainy and windy we don't get wet. if the queues are busy it can save quite a lot of time, especially if you go through the 30kph lanes.

if you are a solo driver it also save the hassle of getting out and walking around to the booth

most take UK Debit and Credit cards -- even for amounts a low as €1

-- otherwise the wife has a handful of coins to throw at the machines -- as they are always on her side !!!

Tried the tag one year I think it cost about €8 to set up inc VAT plus € per month plus VAT. We found it didn't seem to work on all Auto-routes and if you have paid for a Caravan -- or roof box one -- and travelling solo you have paid too much !! Even going through the T lane it just scans the chip and charges you -- no matter if you have the van on or not.[don't work in Spain if you are travelling from Bilbao etc.]

So you don't get it any cheaper and you have to pay the admin charges!!

We pay by UK card in Spain and France or by coins.

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

ive found the tag great. it means if you travel in the evening and my wife is having a snooze, there is no need to wake her. also if its rainy and windy we don't get wet. if the queues are busy it can save quite a lot of time, especially if you go through the 30kph lanes.

if you are a solo driver it also save the hassle of getting out and walking around to the booth

Same here. My wife used to have to take her seat belt off and lean out of the car window to reach some of the booths, which was difficult at times. Having the pass also means that you don't have to try to get too close to the booths and high curbs, so avoiding any potential scrapes. They also save time, especially at busy tolls. Worth the extra cost for our 3 weeks away each year, if only to make the holiday more relaxing for both of us :)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Free free debit card or fee free debit card (on the rare occasion we use a toll road that is!).

We had two occasions in Italy (the automated types) where it was cash only like the Dartford Crossing where you throw your money in - one near Lake Como and I forget the other. Anyway a receipt popped out of the machine and we just paid online. No penalty.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I - sitting in the passenger seat - normally jump out and either feed in a note or a plastic card. Sometimes the machine wants you to put it in the top one as it thinks you're a lorry !! Hubby handed me his wallet once, I took the note out and fed it into the machine and must have put his wallet down somewhere. .... gone ! Not a happy hubby ! :o

Shirl, I do the same, jump out and insert card or cash. Trouble is I've usually got everything on my lap (route directions,map etc) and you have to dump it all before you can jump out. Usually ends up on the dashboard, but a stiff breeze sent all my well-organised papers all over the car one day! At least it wasn't a wallet!

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

On one occasion my wife used the cash system, and being an accountant she wanted the change. Well, when she returned and counted it "all" up, it came to more than the toll cost!

most take UK Debit and Credit cards -- even for amounts a low as €1

As the fee is in euros a card with transaction charges will incur additional costs. For example udsing a NatWest credit card will incur £2. 25 in charges on top of the toll cost

. We found it didn't seem to work on all Auto-routes and if you have paid for a Caravan -- or roof box one -- and travelling solo you have paid too much !! Even going through the T lane it just scans the chip and charges you -- no matter if you have the van on or not

So you don't get it any cheaper and you have to pay the admin charges!!

Things have moved on bit . ....if you pass through an auto toll barrier then the tag will be charged at the correct rate whether towing, solo, or carrying a roof box or cycles as the category is automatically detected.

Edited by beejay

We use the tag as well, from appr (or aapr, can never remember!) - dead easy AND it's quicker 'cos of less queuing.

t.

Edited by Tonyv

We have no problems with queueing at toll booths, or paying, as we use non-toll roads. It takes a little longer, but we're not in a hurry, and French roads are a pleasure to tow on, in comparison to most British ones!

There are obviously some destinations where the non-toll alternative is complicated but it's perfectly possible to get anywhere without using the peage.

Edited by ValA

We have no problems with queueing at toll booths, or paying, as we use non-toll roads. It takes a little longer, but we're not in a hurry, and French roads are a pleasure to tow on, in comparison to most British ones!

We are tending to use more (toll roads) than we used to do, mainly because the speed limits in towns and villages seem to be dropping all the time, but at the times of year we travel queues are rare and they would not have to be long before we stop using them. Its one thing paying but to be held up in the process is self defeating.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Great tips, and as a result I've just ordered a Liber-T tag via the saneftolling. co. uk website - simple and straightforward, great FAQ explaining how the tag and billing works, what to do if the tag is lost or stolen, and where to stick it if you have a heated windscreen.

Now we can pass the queues without my wife having to lean out of the car window, get out of the car - or even wake up if she's asleep.

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?