Considering A Return To Swift - Are Damp Issues Too Risky

BasTT

After suffering numerous and continuing failures on our current Coachman, I am considering trade-in for a new (MY 13) Challenger Coastline SE 524.

This particular stock model has been with a dealer since Aug 13 who is offering what sounds like a decent deal, after I went looking for that particular layout

Should I be wary of all the scare stories on Swift damp problems and should I insist on witnessing a damp test before signing on the dotted line?

Any advice gratefully received.

2011 - Coachman Vision 520/4 Mistake

2013 Swift Coastline SE 524

Personally I have no confidence in any manufacture of modern 'vans. When I bought my new van in April 2012 I insisted on a damp check, in my presence, before accepting it.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The van you are looking at is basically the same as mine, a dealer special 524. Mine is a 2013 and i have had the front gas locker changed as they are bowed in the bottom centre allowing water to get in when towing in rain. The locker is now the modified type as being fitted on 2014 vans. I am also waiting to have rubber seals changed on side windows as there is water ingress after only 7 months. HIGHBRIDGE will know of these problems. Get them to check the window rubbers as this link Ref – 020 Swift Window Rubbers… « Greentrees Community

I have no problem with Swift as i have had several of their brand over the years without any problems and know they are better than most brands at sorting out any problems . My last van was a Bailey but i have returned to Swift

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Just read the list of issues on the Greentree site. I'll bet they have a great relationship with their manufacturers!!

Just read the list of issues on the Greentree site. I'll bet they have a great relationship with their manufacturers!!

Looks as though they would be a honest dealership to use, although i have no complaints with my dealer as i have used it for nearly 40 years.

Looks as though they would be a honest dealership to use, although i have no complaints with my dealer as i have used it for nearly 40 years.

I'm not knocking their honesty, the dealer, (and yours) are very long established dealers, I know them well. however,such detail should come from the manufacturer. The manufacturer should control his quality data, rework, recalls etc.

Best after sales should come from a great dealer/manufacturer team relationship.

Just imagine what Ford would do if your local dealer posted such details, he would lose his franchise overnight.

I think it's very brave of them.

Some friends of ours had their 2012 swift van serviced just before Christmas and it was found to have very high damp levels and it has to be returned to the factory in Hull. They are having it collected sometime at the back end of feb and they have been told they can collect it 6 weeks later where the manager will explain exactly what they have done.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

The problem is none of the van manufacturers put notices out to owners to make checks themselves, when there is a known problem, relying on the annual servicing only. Not everyone checks their caravan themselves as often as i do and a lot can develop in-between servicing periods. The only time i have had a manufacturer contact me directly, was Swift a few weeks ago asking to check correct size tyres were fitted.

Even so i have full faith in my dealer and Swift

Edited by birdman101

If you are looking at an August 2013 van I reckon it should be o. k. We have a January 2013 Conqueror and I was assured by Swift themselves that they had overcome the damp problems on the earlier vans. To date, we have had no issues at all with our van.

Just wondering why the dealer has had the van since last August. Have a check on the build date which you will find amongst the paperwork. Look for the gas and electric inspection dates. That's the giveaway!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

If you are looking at an August 2013 van I reckon it should be o. k. We have a January 2013 Conqueror and I was assured by Swift themselves that they had overcome the damp problems on the earlier vans. To date, we have had no issues at all with our van.

Just wondering why the dealer has had the van since last August. Have a check on the build date which you will find amongst the paperwork. Look for the gas and electric inspection dates. That's the giveaway!

You should get an exceptional deal on it, for the dealer to have taken it in August. It'll have been surplus stock from the factory as they will have been building 2014's since July.

I personally would not be concerned about the damp issues of the past, just use a good dealer.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Even though the van is Aug 13, your warranty would begin on the day of purchase, so no need to worry that you've lost 6 months. When we returned to Caravanning some 5 years ago, we bought a van in July, which had been at the dealers since the previous Sep - had a great deal and no problems.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Many thanks for pointers so far. Always grateful for CT input as our combined experience is valuable. And this arms me with questions and safeguards

The van you are looking at is basically the same as mine, a dealer special 524. Mine is a 2013 and i have had the front gas locker changed as they are bowed in the bottom centre allowing water to get in when towing in rain. The locker is now the modified type as being fitted on 2014 vans. I am also waiting to have rubber seals changed on side windows as there is water ingress after only 7 months. HIGHBRIDGE will know of these problems. Get them to check the window rubbers as this link Ref – 020 Swift Window Rubbers… « Greentrees Community

I have no problem with Swift as i have had several of their brand over the years without any problems and know they are better than most brands at sorting out any problems . My last van was a Bailey but i have returned to Swift

Get the window seal check but unsure of gas locker. Do you mean the door may 'bow' and allow driven rain in? Are all MY 13 doors liable to leak?

I'll check installation dates but I suspect this was one of the last off the MY 13 line and has been in stock since. I'm not too worried about it standing as most 'vans stand for 4-5 months over winter w/o too much harm. Again, many thanks. :)

Even though the van is Aug 13, your warranty would begin on the day of purchase, so no need to worry that you've lost 6 months. When we returned to Caravanning some 5 years ago, we bought a van in July, which had been at the dealers since the previous Sep - had a great deal and no problems.

We did that with our first van, never had any issues. Just make sure you push the price and don't worry about the dealer special talk

The front locker will have locks in the far corners. If the middle is bowed out at the bottom and you can put your fingers up behind, it will not be sealing on the rubber. The 2014 models have locks nearer the middle with compression locks which pull locker in tight onto seal. My van was new April and had new type 2014 locker fitted September which now seals perfectly.

Again, perfectly good van, great design, good backup, good warranty, but. ...deal deal deal !!! They'll be desperate to move it on, even at cost.

Our last 4 vans have all been Swift built and we have been very pleased with them.

I believe that Swift had a major damp problem with their 2011 build vans which was mainly identified at the second service i. e. 2013 and was corrected.

I have experience of Swifts customer service which I believe is first class and as already stated use a dealer that you trust.

Bill

As a newbie here, all this chat on damp is scaring the bejesus out of us. What do you recommend we do when buying. We like the look and sound of a few diff makes of vans and the Swift Challenger meets our criteria as our C5 can only tow 1390kg. ...

I have just collected our 2013 Conqueror ( built August 2012 ) after it's first service, the damp test showed no problems and there have been only 4 minor warranty claims, all sorted.

Edited by solarpower

I have a 2012 Sterling Eccles Sport 524. it had just been in for its second service at Yorkshire Coast Caravans and all is well.

I did have the modified gas locker lid fitted last year, the one with the locks nearer the middle and it works fine.

Am quite happy with the van and Swift, I certainly wouldn't buy any other make

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

We've just part exchanged our Sterling Eccles Topaz SR - less than 2 years old but already had 2 lots of damp. It's was a shame as the fit and finish of the caravan interior was excellent - but I won't be going near Swift again until they prove problems are resolved. Yes -I know all manufactures have bad caravans, but the problems with the Swift newer designs are just too numerous - including cracked rear panels at the top and front lockers going out of shape. Swift will fix the problems as they did mine, but I don't have any blind brand loyalty to any make of caravan so I'm willing to look somewhere else.

I think it depends on what sort of person you are. If you are constantly going to be worried about your caravan leaking then maybe you should look elsewhere. If you are just happy to remain calm and deal with issues as they turn up then enjoy your van & Swift will repair it under warranty. Or do you use the caravan several times a month like me - in which case you will get totally hacked off towing the van back to the dealers and coming back to an empty driveway for extended periods while the damp is repaired - when you would rather be towing it to a lovely site somewhere.

We have just swapped (December) our 2011 Conqueror 570 for a 2013 Conqueror 570, we had no major problems with 2011 but we like the silver sides and they have stopped doing these on the 2014 vans so we decided to update to the 2013. We also like the extras that have been added to the van and of course the 10 year body warranty.

You are more likely to read about the problems people are having with their vans and yes there are problems with some that includes other caravan manufacturers not just Swift then you are about the vans having no problems.

We did not hesitate in having another Swift van and our old van was from the 2011 models which people think all have damp problems, not so in our case so don't be put off by everything you read.

I too like the look of the 2014 Swift Challenger Sport and SE ranges, so we have started to look at them more closely, in particular the 2 berth models and the 524 model. The finish inside looks very good and also like the size of the cupboard beneath the washroom sink, much larger than most other makes. We do love our current van, but keep thinking it might be time to change this year or early next.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

• 3 weeks later...

After reading all the measured advice on here, we committed to the Coastline 524 and took delivery last week. Here’s hoping we have a better experience than we did with the Coachman and that our return to Swift is a better and less troubled experience.

Have yet to use it but first impressions are that Swift technology and design has outstripped Coachman in 2 years and they need to lift their game.

Many thanks for the wide range of opinions and welcome assurance. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Have just traded in our Swift Challenger Sport 584 2012, this has been back to the dealers 3 times for water leaks around the top of the panoramic window, we lost all faith in the caravan and decided to trade in lost £3000 in 18months, over the last 12 years we have had Abi and Bailey caravans never a problem, We have now ordered a Lunar Clubman SE, we will never entertain a Swift again.