Displaying Speed Stickers In France

Happy feet

They are not necessary for non French registered vehicles. I expect there are plenty of references to

the speed limits on here. Also plenty of info on the Caravan Club website.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Best to display 80/90 signs if you're over 3. 5t as some local cops are not aware of the laws regarding uk caravans, just a few quid against arguing the toss about a fine in a foreign language and ruining your hols. same with the breathalysers not law but I still carry them, no hassle or arguing from ill informed police national.

Edited by langers8

These look pretty cheap

http://www. safety-label. co. uk/collections/speed-limit-stickers/products/80-kph-speed-limit-sticker-international

What size do the labels need to be? We are off to France later on in the year too

The speed limits depend ONLY on the MTW Maximum Train Weight of the towing vehicle, not on what you might be towing. Don't ask for the logic that is way beyond me.

For tow cars with a MTW over 3500 kgs then on unrestricted single carriage ways and dual carriage ways without a solid inter carriage way barrier it is 80 KPH, 50 MPH. And on solid divided carriage ways it is 90 KPH, about 56 MPH.

For tow vehicles with a MTW under 3500 kgs then normal car limits apply. So those with the least able tow vehicles can explore towing at 130 KPH, 81 MPH

I display these on a temporary board clipped on the van;s rear, tough I accept there is little chance of the police bothering unless I otherwise default at the wrong time.

They do give the motorist who feel I am a complete idiot and a pain in the butt plodding along at 50 MPH on a major free flowing arterial road, a hint why and that it is not my choice.

Edited by JTQ

Yeah, JTW is correct. There are several fora in France saying, basically, *what the ****, but that's the law. This from a gendarmerie that will bust you for 1km over the speed limit, and also get you for failing to stop on a líne which says stop. That's a 90e fine, by the way, and crossing the stop line in an English registered 1952 Citroen Light 15 won't help you at all. :angry:

So, for example, my Citroen C6 towing my caravan is limited, but when I tow the same van with my 1967 DS, it's not. Pity I can't get the DS to 130 kph!

You don't need the speed stickers, but I would err ón the safe síde. ..breathalysers are not required, but the law requires that you keep the right side of 50, rather than 80.

Edited by drummond

In response to your letter concerning the speed records that must be affixed to trucks & caravans UK, circulating France (article r. 413-13 of the French highway code), I can make the following response elements. The Vienna Convention 8 November 1968 deals with international traffic.

The principle was that vehicles in international traffic shall conform to the rules in its country of registration.

In practice we see the heavy weight foreign travel to France with their own speed records

Heavy weight French abroad do not change speed records at the border to accommodate the country traversed

But in any case, it should respect the rule that applies maximum speed on the road where it circulates

I hope that answers your question & cordially.

The office of legislation & regulation

Delegation to the safety & traffic flow

Ministry of ecology, energy, sustainable development & the sea

This is a google translation of a letter I received regarding speed plates

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

These look pretty cheap

http://www. safety-label. co. uk/collections/speed-limit-stickers/products/80-kph-speed-limit-sticker-international

What size do the labels need to be? We are off to France later on in the year too

The French requirement is 150 x 150 mm with figures 90mm in height so those in your link are not suitable! :rolleyes:

Edited by beejay

The French requirement is 150 x 150 mm with figures 90mm in height so those in your link are not suitable! :rolleyes:

Thanks beejay. Wondered what the size was. This link says its the grand total of £1. 49

Edited by milkymarsh

P&O ferry between Hull and Rotterdam had the correct size stickers last year.

John.

Thanks beejay. Wondered what the size was. This link says its the grand total of £1. 49

Foreign vehicles driving in France have never needed to use these stickers .

In reply to my enquiry I had a similar reply as referred to in post 8 from the French equivalent of the "Dept of Transport" which stated quite clearly that the regulation does not apply to foreign registered vehicles. A translation here

Reference to article r. 413-13 of the Code de la Route

I can make the following reply to your enquiry.

The Vienna Convention 8 November 1968 deals with international traffic the principle of which is that vehicles in international use shall conform to the regulations of the country of registration.

In practice, heavy goods vehicles in France have national speed limit discs.

French heavy goods vehicles abroad do not need to change these speed discs at borders to comply with rules of the country traversed.

In all cases, respect the maximum speed limits on the road in use.

I hope that answers your question & cordially.

Edited by beejay

This from a gendarmerie that will bust you for 1km over the speed limit, and also get you for failing to stop on a líne which says stop.

Actually it is 1km over the 'adjusted' speed as there is a table (barême) to calculate the processed speed and up to 100 kph the tolerance is 5 kph

see http://www. radars-auto. com/info-radars/tolerance-radars. php

note the latest radars in moving vehicles have a much greater tolerance than fixed radars.

An example of a speeding ticket here

http://www. radars-auto. com/contravention/modele-pv. php

Notice the box with red 5. The recorded speed is 59kph but the 'barême' adjusts this to 54kph on which the penalty is based from the table below .

http://www. radars-auto. com/contravention/amendes-exces-de-vitesse. php

As for not stopping at a STOP sign that also used to be enforced in the UK until the widespread introduction of Give Way junctions. Stop is stop what's there to argue about?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually been stopped for not having the stickers. I'm relying on the information as posted by Beejay (which is based on the Vienna Convention). Interestingly, Spain has not ratified this hence it is able to insist on trailer boards etc.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

My french is not strong enough to argue the details of the appropriate clause of the Vienna Convention with a wound up law officer so I duly display the speed markers. However I realise I am all but alone, even including the locals.

The big plus is their use as the things are intended, to warn others you are slow, and hopefully those others might appreciate why, and that it is not your fault.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually been stopped for not having the stickers. I'm relying on the information as posted by Beejay (which is based on the Vienna Convention). Interestingly, Spain has not ratified this hence it is able to insist on trailer boards etc.

According to this list they were a signatory in 1968.

http://www. unece. org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/conventn/CP_Vienna_convention. pdf

knarf

Yes but didn't ratify it therefore aren't bound by it. The same is true, strangely enough, for the UK. .....

See here

Edited by iansoady

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Yes but didn't ratify it therefore aren't bound by it. The same is true, strangely enough, for the UK. .....

See here

Exactly, for many years, caravans over 2. 3m width were illegal the UK if towed behind a vehicle with a max. GVW of less than 3. 5 tonnes. That applied to visiting outfits, too. In fact, the length restriction of 7m body length still applies although EU regulations permit such caravans to be towed behind a lighter car, too.

I have never understood what dimensions of the trailer have to do with the weight of the towcar anyway. It's like comparing apples with bananas.

See here

It is all to do with derogation not ratification.

The UK C&U Regs require rear markers on all vehicles but excepts some categories which includes trailers under 3500 kg MAM.

Spain requires rear markers on outfits over a certain length as there are no derogations in effect to except them. The requirement was always there but not enforced until recently.

France has done the same with speed limits and the requirement for sticker for vehicles with a GTW over 3500 kg when towing. ....was always there but not previously (or currently?) enforced.

What rear markers are you referring to, Beejay?