Skoda V Volkswagon

dustypete

been looking at skoda superb 2. 0tdi 170 bhp estate 7 months old approx. 8,00miles, £ 18000 v volkswagon passatt 2. 0tdi 170bhp estate same age mileage, |£ 21,500, cannot work out why there is such a big gap in price, like the look of both, have a volkswagon as a works van but have had lots of silly little things go wrong ( locks, bolts on doors broken, small electrical faults etc ) so lost a bit of confidence with vw maybe the cars are put together better, owe caravan lunar quaser 462 1208 kg so both car well capable, your thoughts please. ..thanks in advance pete

Personally I'd go with the skoda. It's a bigger car, and the customer service if bits go wrong is superb. Do you get many more toys on one v's the other?

I have had my Skoda for 2 years now and have found it to be very good, just lift up the bonnet or look under the car at parts and components and all you see are VW & Audi logos. My model is the Octavia Estate 2. 0Tdi 4x4,140 (138bhp), smaller than the Superb, but still good at towing my caravan of 1,230kg mtplm. Go for the Skoda, you will not be disappointed.

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

My trade mate rate Skodas 95% and VW 70% for reliability, he rates Seat small cars higher than Golf or Polo too.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I second that nothing wrong with Skoda build quality and you get a lot of car for your money. I've had mine for nearly three years no problems touch wood !

We run a Skoda Fabia 1. 9tdi as a second car and its been totally fault free in 4 years, not even had to replace a bulb in 30,000 miles from new

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

Further thought. Which car is most used by taxi drivers??? Often self employed/own cars. .. has to be Skoda

geoff

For a £3. 5k difference I would have Skoda. Plastics better in VW; not worth the extra cash.

My trade mate rate Skodas 95% and VW 70% for reliability, he rates Seat small cars higher than Golf or Polo too.

geoff

Does he mention what fails, given the mechanicals are similar I find those findings strange.

Personally I think Skoda scores well with owners because they believe they have a Audi for less money.

When I shopped around in 1999 for a golf I fancied, I test drove a Skoda hatchback, a seat Leon, a couple of golfs including the 5 cylinder version, a Audi A3. And a Volvo and Bora?. I drove a Primera at the time.

Quality wise the A3 was infront, and was the nicest to drive.

But I ended up buying an A4 instead, the A3 was too small.

Ps a new Passat 177ps on drive the deal for under £21400 new.

Edited by xtrailman

Ive had my new yeti for 4 weeks now and the performance level, comfort and MPG is far better than I expected. Cracking car for the money and no difference to a VW as far as I can see. The Garage are great as well.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Depends how long you will keep it as well. The residual on the VW will probably be higher than the Skoda so lifetime cost not as much more than you think on first glance.

Also if you drive a Skoda you will then have to be fanatical about how it is better than every single other car on the planet, whilst still putting up with 20 year old Skoda jokes. .... :P:)

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Does he mention what fails, given the mechanicals are similar I find those findings strange.

He thinks that overall the Skodas are 'better put together'.........unlike the old days.

I have mentioned a couple of times over the years the recovery driver I met on the ferry coming from Ireland. ..I asked what cars he was most often carrying back to UK. ..Golfs, Audi's & BMW's. ...............

geoff

Easy answer, Skoda.

I tow with a Superb 170. It's a 4x4 which just makes it better, but it tows better than anything I've ever towed with, including some Discoveries in the past.

I challenge anyone to look at it and say the plastic in it isn't as good as a Passatt.

I know I'm biased of course, but I have had my fair share of other VW group brands, and when it came to paying my own money, I bought two Skodas. ......

Back in 2000 I bought a year old Octavia Estate with the balance of the 3 year warranty and introductory 3 year free servicing. As it came up to its first MoT I had it serviced. It needed new brake pads and discs and despite the warranty and service deal Skoda would only pay for the pads, not the discs.

The dealer wasn't happy with VW Group as apparently the Skoda warranty dep't had been closed and a single dep't set up to cover all their brands. He reckoned they were out to show how much they could save compared to the individual brand set up.

Anyway I vowed never again to buy a VW Audi Group product and so far I've kept to that vow.

It shows how short sighted companies can be, VW might have sold 2 or 3 more cars to me since then if they'd kept to the spirit of their agreement.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Neighbour has ordered a Skoda Yeti (non caravaner)..... Six weeks waiting list due to his choice of colour. Skoda phoned him yesterday and informed him that there will be a further delay but do have two in the colour of his choice with a higher spec at no extra cost !!! No Brainer eh ?? Brother in law had a Octavia Taxi . .. Nearly 250,000 miles on the clock before he sold it on and is still being used today. ..... Taxi Drivers love them. ....

GAS . .......... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Back in 2000 I bought a year old Octavia Estate with the balance of the 3 year warranty and introductory 3 year free servicing. As it came up to its first MoT I had it serviced. It needed new brake pads and discs and despite the warranty and service deal Skoda would only pay for the pads, not the discs.

The dealer wasn't happy with VW Group as apparently the Skoda warranty dep't had been closed and a single dep't set up to cover all their brands. He reckoned they were out to show how much they could save compared to the individual brand set up.

Anyway I vowed never again to buy a VW Audi Group product and so far I've kept to that vow.

It shows how short sighted companies can be, VW might have sold 2 or 3 more cars to me since then if they'd kept to the spirit of their agreement.

Pads and discs are a wear item, so I would have expected to pay for both?

That's the point, if they paid for the pads as a wear item as part of the free service deal, then why didn't they pay for the discs on the same basis?

Easy answer, Skoda.

I tow with a Superb 170. It's a 4x4 which just makes it better, but it tows better than anything I've ever towed with, including some Discoveries in the past.

I challenge anyone to look at it and say the plastic in it isn't as good as a Passatt.

I know I'm biased of course, but I have had my fair share of other VW group brands, and when it came to paying my own money, I bought two Skodas. ......

Does it come with a proper spare wheel ? might look at one when mine starts to get a bit older.

thanks Steve.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

That's the point, if they paid for the pads as a wear item as part of the free service deal, then why didn't they pay for the discs on the same basis?

I thought pads were only normally inspected during a service, and if they needed replacing were an additional charge. ?

Absolutely so why did they differentiate?

I have recently sold a 54 plated VW Touran 2 litre 125k on the clock only spares fitted beside pads ERG Valve, front discs, headlamp dip/indicator switch I have replaced it with a Skoda Yeti 2 litre 170 The yeti tows my van very well I just hope it is as reliable.

Bought a new 2012 Octavia 1. 6TDi Elegance when they had the vat free deal on. Friend had a VW Jetta, year older. Same car but styling and badged different (lights mainly) - plastics on the Elegance model the same as the VW, same radio, dash,center console etc.

Good points - economical, nice to drive on the whole, nippy in mid rev range, fantastic boot.

Bad points - growling clutch - when you let the clutch out, you get a vibration through the pedal. Skoda said its normal, but got on my nerves. 1. 6TDi doesnt have low down torque, so needs reving a bit, Great at 2K+, very quock pick up, but would go flat on hills and if you try to coast out of roundabouts as I tend to do :blush: . Also, quite narrow where your knees go so can be a bit cramped on a long run.

Had broken spring and leaking oil cooler in first 12 months, fixed under warranty.

I changed it as I changed the van, but it did wallow a bit on the back end with my old van at about 1250kg mass, even the wife noticed it, as it has a long overhang at the back end and they are quite light cars considering and I think the match was about 95%. I have seen two vans the wrong way on the A1M this summer, both with detached Octavias so I would lean towards the Superb.

Would I get another Skoda, YES. Would I get the Octavia, perhaps not unless I downsize the van (2. 0TDi DSG Estate please)

Edited by ian16527