Towing With Hyundai Sante Fe?

Paul in Leicester

In our wisdom (or foolishness!) we went to the NEC in October and were smitten with an Elddis Affinity. We didn't commit there and then but came home and thought it through and then ordered in November.

Then we came up with a glitch! Our current tow car is a Peugeot 508 Allure 2. 0 HDi and pulls our Lunar like a dream. But, the Affinity is longer and heavier (at 1555kgs) than the Lunar and according to the tables the towing ratio calculates at 98% - stability being the issue. This didn't faze me too much initially, but over time it has been playing on my mind.

So, I have been looking to find a more suitable car to do the job. The Sante Fe seems to fit the bill but I haven't been able to find a dealership in Leicester that has one to test drive. I can and will go further afield but don't want to waste time if the car doesn't live up to its hype.

Anyone have any view on, or experience with, the Sante Fe? Manual or Automatic preference? All comments gratefully received.

Paul

In our wisdom (or foolishness!) we went to the NEC in October and were smitten with aln Elddis Affinity. We didn't commit there and then but came home and thought it through and then ordered in November.

Then we came up with a glitch! Our current tow car is a Peugeot 508 Allure 2. 0 HDi and pulls our Lunar like a dream. But, the Affinity is longer and heavier (at 1555kgs) than the Lunar and according to the tables the towing ratio calculates at 98% - stability being the issue. This didn't faze me too much initially, but over time it has been playing on my mind.

So, I have been looking to find a more suitable car to do the job. The Sante Fe seems to fit the bill but I haven't been able to find a dealership in Leicester that has one to test drive. I can and will go further afield but don't want to waste time if the car doesn't live up to its hype.

Anyone have any view on, or experience with, the Sante Fe? Manual or Automatic preference? All comments gratefully received.

Paul

Paul the Santa fe is made by Hyundai not Mitsubishi. I have the manual 2012 version and is a fantastic tow car with loads of power, massive towing and nose weight limits. It with tow your van as if it isn't there.

Anton

My son has an 03 2. 0ltr santa fe. It pulls his van a treat

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

Don't forget the Kia Sorento, similar great Tow car to the Santa Fe and there is a dealer in your area.

Address 230 London Road
Leicester
LE2 1RH Phone

Sales:
0116 217 9362

Aftersales:
0116 217 9360

Approved Used Cars:

01162 179 274

Opening Times Sales
Mon-Fri:

9am-7pm

Sat:

9am-5. 30pm

Sun:

10am-4pm

Service
Mon-Fri:

8. 30am-6pm

Sat:

8. 30am-1pm

Sun:

Closed

Nissan X-Trail Kia Sorento, Pegasus 2 Rimini

I bought a 57 Santa Fe automatic diesel new to tow my 1500kg Burstner. Tows it a treat. I have now done 94,000 miles in it, about 60,000 towing. Never a problem. Could not recommend more highly.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Anton88

Yep you're right it is Hyundai - senior moment!!!

Moderator Note, Title edited, David

Edited by klyne

Anton88

Yep you're right it is Hyundai - senior moment!!!

Moderator Note, Title edited, David

Are you looking for a brand new Santa Fe (new shape) or say a 12 month old one (old shape)?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

When our 2007 Jeep 3,0 CRD was damaged a friend lent us his 57 plate Santa Fe auto 150 bhp it towed our 1500kg van a treat so good that when we returned home we sold the repaired Jeep and bought a 2010 auto Santa Fe 194bhp model its a a much better built car then the Jeep was, tows a dream and good on fuel for a 4x4.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

i have had an 04, an 06 and now on an 09 plate Santa Fe - all automatics and have been excellent tow cars.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/user/40823-john-b-45/

The most read review on the site. Nothing to do with me writing it but all to do with the massive interest with the Santa Fe.

Simply to say you won't be disappointed.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Hyundai Santa Fe. Excellent car. Waiting times for delivery,I think,are quite long. Best bet is just to ring around.

Just been talking to a 2013 Santa Fe owner in Thirsk, he waited 5 months and reckons his brother in Australia has been waiting even longer. ....He really rates it as he had one of the very first ones way back which was so poor on fuel he had in converted to LPG, since then a Sorento owner. .

He said that he had been told that the wait for the car was caused by them going to 'Premium' markets before Europe. ..assume this is either Far East or USA??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hmmm, and I've just part exchanged my 62 plate SF for a used motorhome. Part-ex price was very, very good.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Part-ex price was very, very good.

Now you know why!

cheers

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Just been talking to a 2013 Santa Fe owner in Thirsk, he waited 5 months and reckons his brother in Australia has been waiting even longer. ....He really rates it as he had one of the very first ones way back which was so poor on fuel he had in converted to LPG, since then a Sorento owner. .

He said that he had been told that the wait for the car was caused by them going to 'Premium' markets before Europe. ..assume this is either Far East or USA??

geoff

Yes,that's correct. Hyundai are prioritising exports to China and USA. Yesterday our local dealer quoted 3 months delivery.

It's now an immaculately finished car with excellent build quality. It's part of Hyundai's strategy of moving "upmarket."

Prices,however,reflect that strategy and possible discounts are very small.

I'm test driving one tomorrow so will let you know of my impressions.

Just as a "by the by" I looked at an Audi Q5 yesterday. Very nicely finished but it has a significantly smaller boot and the model I was looking at only had a 177 BHP engine. If I wanted a more powerful model there would be quite a price hike. When you compare the Q5 with the Hyundai it still makes the SF look to be a bargain. SF residuals aren't as good but they are not far off.

Hi All

Thanks everybody for the all the feedback. All the positive comments are most reassuring.

I had already decided it was the only car to go for, but without experience of it I was dubious of spending so much. Also reading various literature I was unsure if the automatic was the right way to go.

Since my first post I was at a local caravan dealership and a chap pulled in with a SF automatic, towing a good sized van - not sure which because I was more interested in the car on this occassion. I stopped him and asked for his opinion of the SF. He rated it very highly saying it was brilliant, he would recommend it anytime and it was not his first one. As it was an automatic I said I had concerns over gear control on hills, having read somewhere that automatics do not make good tow cars. He said no problem, it pulled his two-tonner as if it wasn't there, most recently over the Pyranees this summer it was a dream - his words not mine! There is the facility to switch to manual mode if need be - as was the case on a previous Peugeot which I did not tow with. So along with the comments on here my mind was put to rest :)

I managed to get a test drive, was offered a good PX on the Peugeot, so I bit the bullet paid the deposit and collect on 1 March. And yes, you're right about the waiting time, especially if you want one to your own spec and colour. I just struck lucky - which doesn't happen to me very often - as the dealer had four coming into stock mid Feb. Just in passing I'd like to add that there was another dealer that had one to offer me. It was a pre-reg with 6,000 miles on the clock (used as the dealers run around I'm told) and the right spec so I was interested. Downside: the price for this with the PX was more than the price of the new one from the other dealer and they wouldn't budge. So, it was a no brainer really, just wait a couple of weeks for the new one. It fits in quite nicely as we have been told we can collect the Affinity Feb 18 and have pushed it back until March. Let's hope there are no delays!!

Thanks again!

Paul

Paul, you'll have no regrets. :D

Hi,it might be worth asking about buying a service plan.

Most Hyundai dealers offer a pay-monthly option at no extra expense,as well as the buy it now price.

We've found the warranty great as it covered a driveshaft and balljoint on our last one as it had done less than 60k miles.

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

Yes,that's correct. Hyundai are prioritising exports to China and USA. .

That's not completely correct - the Santa Fe Sport for North America (Mexico, USA & Canada) is built in the USA at West Point, Georgia by Kia - on the same production line as it's Sorento sibling - the Santa Fe LWB are all built in Korea but no plans to bring that version to the UK.

UK dealers are only being allocated about 1/3rd of Santa Fe's they were selling before the current model launched - this shortfall is now affecting delivery times on Kia Sorento as many would-be Santa Fe owners are buying Sorento's instead.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Should keep second hand price of Santa Fes and Sorentos up a bit! :rolleyes:

Our local dealer had a few Sorentos and quite a few Sportages but few Sorentos now.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

• 1 month later...

News Flash!!!

Delivery of our new Sante Fe was delayed due to my changing my mind about the colour. But, I have been informed that it has docked and will be ready to collect next week. I've just got to choose the registration from a list of about 20 once I get the list - never been given that choice before!!!

We picked up the Affinity three weeks back (we decided not to wait for the car, too excited!!) and love it, apart from a problem with the Avtex aerial (posted elsewhere). Sooooo much space for everything!

Thought for the day: Think twice about going anywhere to 'just look' at new vans.

Why? Because it can be an expensive exercise (as we have learnt to our cost on many occasions!). This time it started with the new van, which required a new awning, which then lead to a new car and now a new under cover storage site. Let's hope that's an end to it - which of course it won't be!

Paul :D

• 6 months later...

Just a little update! Have now had five months towing with the Santa Fe. Absolute bliss! Tows the Affinity as if it is not there. I have to keep my foot off the gas or I'm hitting 70mph+ without realising it. And in eco mode it's not too heavy on fuel. We are in Leicester and have done Isle of Wight and Scotland 'long haul' so far, plus Sutton on Sea, Much Wenlock, Bosworth Water Park. Off to Cornwall next month, with another weekend in Bosworth with the family before then.

So, the SF was a good decision and thanks for all the advice which helped me on my way.

News Flash!!!

Delivery of our new Sante Fe was delayed due to my changing my mind about the colour. But, I have been informed that it has docked and will be ready to collect next week. I've just got to choose the registration from a list of about 20 once I get the list - never been given that choice before!!!

We picked up the Affinity three weeks back (we decided not to wait for the car, too excited!!) and love it, apart from a problem with the Avtex aerial (posted elsewhere). Sooooo much space for everything!

Thought for the day: Think twice about going anywhere to 'just look' at new vans.

Why? Because it can be an expensive exercise (as we have learnt to our cost on many occasions!). This time it started with the new van, which required a new awning, which then lead to a new car and now a new under cover storage site. Let's hope that's an end to it - which of course it won't be!

Paul :D

But worth it Paul. :D

Just changed our 2011 Santa Fe for the latest model. Ordered it June and was in stock at dealer by Aug 1st. We left it there until Sept 1st for obvious reasons. Basically I was told the cars that were in the pipeline and made my choice. Manual, premium, white, 7 seater (so self levelling suspension)

Not yet towed with it because putting on the 1200 miles Hyundai say need covering before towing.

Trip reading showing 38mpg but most of the driving has been out of town so that will vary.

The old car was a treat to drive and pull the van. This one is an improvement all round (Hoping towing will be at least as good).

New tow bar fitted is completely out of sight when not attached - that I do like!

Reversing camera is ok but I'm not full of trust for it but I can see the tow ball for hitching. Built in sat nav seems fine but when towing I'll still use my Garmin where I can plan and store my chosen routes as Itineraries. Not used the hill descent thingy yet which is also new.

My wife is still getting used to the electrical handbrake but it's something I quite like. Remains to be seen if it will stay put on a hill with the van attached without setting it manually!

All in all it really does feel, look and drive better than the previous model. Well worth the upgrade we feel.

Built in sat nav seems fine but when towing I'll still use my Garmin where I can plan and store my chosen routes as Itineraries.

If the latest model has the same Media Centre as the interim changeover MY12 model (think it does) there is a tour planner facility where you can enter some waypoints manually. Not as good as Garmin BaseCamp and then syncing to sat nav unit though.

If the latest model has the same Media Centre as the interim changeover MY12 model (think it does) there is a tour planner facility where you can enter some waypoints manually. Not as good as Garmin BaseCamp and then syncing to sat nav unit though.

Thanks for this Gollyneck.

I think I've noticed this but so far hardly ever used the sat nav and when "playing" with it on the drive at home keep being told to start the engine! Huh! And "playing" whilst driving is not a great idea!

You're dead right about Garmin and Basecamp though. That's the only reason I've abandoned TomTom and I've not regretted it. To plan and pre-check using Google maps is so useful. I can't believe prodding the screen to define a few checkpoints after the full route has been entered can be satisfactory for caravanners. But each to their own!