Dry Mould

Leopard1

Hi, this is my first post so please bear with me. I have a sprite major 6, 5 years old stored on a compound, after last winter there was a little what I can only describe as dry mould on some laminated vertical surfaces, I've been after about 2 months this week and there was much more, again only on wood effect vertical surfaces no where else.

I've cleaned it down today with dettol anti mould spray and it seems pristine again, is this a common thing? I aired it for 2 hours while I was cleaning and intend to do this every 2 weeks from now on is this the best thing to do?

Edited by Leopard1

:welcome: I have had this on the wooden surfaces one winter. With me it was moisture in the van (in a closed storage building). Not damp.

Looked around the building and the owners had put down a new concrete floor and the 'wet' concrete was allowed to dry in the closed building. So the air in the caravan was moist. Cleaned off the mould and it never occurred again. I voted with my wheels and found another storage area.

If I'm right, then air the van and leave some windows cracked open.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Someone may have wiped over the walls in the past with a dirty dishcloth? Maybe this then encourages mould to grow. I come across the problem a lot when I'm servicing, I usually suggest wiping over with a clean hit cloth and an anti bacterial spray.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Yes- Wispman is exactly right. We had this on the interior of our first van after winter storage in dry barn.

Our dealer advised us to wipe all surfaces with antibacterial cleaner at end of season and to leave a few windows open on night latch setting

We followed his advice and never had the same problem again - good ventilation is the key

Yes we also had it over a winter when the caravan was in storage. A bit disenfectant spray and air soon solved it.

Compass Shadow 1988

Many thanks, Although its stored outside I too think ventilation is key, leaving the windows "on the latch" and airing often seems the answer, I've used the small moisture trappers but keeping the air very dry in a caravan is a non starter with all the vents, the dirty cloth may also be the original cause as the first year it was only in a small area on wardrobe door.

Beware !- leaving the windows on so called "night latch" means that the "light fingered" brigade can slip something in to open the window, better if you can leave a couple of skylights slightly open.

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!