Wiring Help Needed

happydays

Hi All, picked my caravan up yesterday, thrilled to bits with it, unfortunately plugged the 12N and the lights were not all as they should have been. All worked but not in the correct sequence, ie brake lights became indicators, indicators became flashing side lights etc. This is the first time i have used the electrics on my van in 3 years. I took the 12N to pieces and there was severe corrosion to 3 connections, so i bought a new one and wired the same way as the old one, but to no avail the same result, However my wiring has the yellow - red -blue - black,wires the other 3 wires are not of the same colour as standard they are white/ blue - brown/white - purple. I have wired the first four colours as the 12N should be and the other 3 as i took them off the old socket. By the way there are 2 of the same wires in each connection.

i am hoping i can fix the problem with advise, but if not does anyone know a good mobile towbar / wiring expert in the Worksop Area.

I would greatly appreciate some advise if possible as we aim to go away on friday. Thank you in advance.

Edited by happydays

Whiz along to the local dealer. They have handy light boxes. Plug it in, and it will tell you what does what. Remember, it could also be a problem on the van?

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Hi Rycko -- The dealer did check this and the caravan was Good so the fault lies with my vehicle. Unfortunately my dealer does not do towbar issues.

Edited by happydays

Hi, get yourself one of these and then you can work out what connection does what.

You can then wire your plug to the correct pin. Bear in mind that your wiring may be OK in the plug & the socket and someone may have fiddled with the connections in the van/car.

HTH

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

It's possibly poor/corroded connections into the rear lights. ...remove the lights, thoroughly clean all of the contacts & the bulbs. ...if them plug is wired correctly they should work ok.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

You could pop down to Halfords and get a cheap trailer board or borrow one off someone. You can then check the towing electrics using that. The trailer board should be wired the same as the caravan should be.

Download a wiring diagram??

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Like this one?

post-60969-0-83447900-1389552641_thumb.jpg

Hi All, many thanks for the advise, i will persevere a few times more before i call the pro's.

Just as a thought roughly how much would a pro charge to do the job ( mobile one )

It could be a 5 minute job or a couple of hours depending on the fault.

There could be a minimum charge rate or hour rate. Have ago yourself, dont chop things up and work in a logical way you should be fine.

H

Just been reading a few tow bar sites, hoprfully i think i may have it, Firstly please forgive my ignorance i am useless when it comes to electrics.

Would i be correct in saying -- i have 4 wires colour coded as per wiring digram RED-YELLOW-BLACK- BLUE, if i wired these to the correct terminals and connected up to the caravan and fired up ( leaving the 3 remaining ones un-connected but safe) hopefully this should sort the 4 terminals as correct, then by deduction connect the 3 remaining wires to achieve the correct terminals. Would this be OK to do and not have a detrimental effect, basically is it ok to connect only a few wires at a time.

With just those four connected nothing will work. You must have the earth return, pin 3 white, connected also to complete the circuit.

Brian

With just those four connected nothing will work. You must have the earth return, pin 3 white, connected also to complete the circuit.

Brian

Thanks Brian, i will connect the four and find the earth from the other 3 = white /brown -- white / blue -- purple. oddly enough the purple one is the only single wire.

Had this problem on a previous tow car and it turned out to be a wire rubbing against the spare wheel carrier over a number of years and making a short circuit. Took about 5 minutes to sort out.

Hi TB -- i have checked the wiring route, all is OK ( as far as i can see ), and all is encased in armoured sleeving.

Dropped the van of at our local vehicle electrical garage this morning, 9am got a call at 11 am to tell me it was ready to pick up, £30 -- Result !!