Sign in to follow this  
keithjl

Kia Sorento Kx1

hi all

any info towing with kx1 without. self levelling

thanks

Hi Keith,

Are you talking about the 2010 models or the upgraded 2013 models? I have a 2010 KX-2 that does not have SLS and found the towing experience quite alarming at times. I have recently had MAD Progressive rear springs fitted and the difference in the handling when towing is incredible. Now I am a lot happier.

The 2013 models have had the suspension system completely changed and the reports are very favourable.

David

hi david

looking at a new kx1 with out SLS

Hi Keith,

I don't think you will be disappointed. If you have not seen it, the Practical Caravan magazine did a video review, link below. It is the KX-2, but most of the comments should apply.

David

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/review/towcar/video-review-kia-sorento-22-crdi-kx-2

I would go for the SLS model, as advised by PC mag for the 2010.

Avoid.

thanks david and xtrailman

Don't touch one without SLS. They say the latest models tow very well compared to the 2010-2012 versions.

We had a 2012 from new and it towed our van very badly. Nearly rolled it on 2 occasions while traveling in a straight line. I eventually used spring assisters which helped a lot. and like the OP has said he fitted MAD springs on the rear. I was going to do that but Kia ( Who I had had quite a lot of dealings with) stated it would invalidate my warranty, so we sold it and bought the Shogun.

PS the self leveling is achieved by fitting KX3 shocks to the rear. Kia wanted to charge me £1500 to do this to mine as a good will gesture. I later found a dealer at York selling the SLS shocks on e-bay for approx. £250 each.

We have a 2012 KX2 which tows very well. I am not sure if it has SLS as it was ex demo, I think it has as it stays pretty level when towing.

I think KX1 has 2wd only. Personally cannot see the point of a 2WD SUV!

I have a 2010 Kx2. Unlike The Waltons, I did not have bad handling problems, but it was not a good as the two previous Sorentos I had.

Again Unlike The Waltons, I did fit Mad uprated rear spring and it changed the handling considerably, so three months later, I took a deep breath and had my dealer supply and fit the OE SLR parts.

I still have the MAD springs if anybody is interested.

Interesting topic. I have just bought one of the last version Sorento's.

I still have to tow the van to see how it behaves.

have a kx 1 65 plate and the towing is scary with only a small van on the back and at present have to remove the jockey wheel from the unicorn as it is so low to the ground using a detachable tow bar - should i get the stronger srpings installed if so any idea where to go aside from a KIA dealer?

My this is an old thread..but steve123, I have a 1960 KX1 and it is an exceptional steady tug and yes it does have a detachable tow bar......Have you joined the free Owners Club...might be worth an ask there too?

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/

geoff

cheers geoff will what age is your Sorento?

7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

cheers geoff will what age is your Sorento?

60 plate,no extra suspension that model.

Geoff

12 hours ago, steve123 said:

have a kx 1 65 plate and the towing is scary with only a small van on the back and at present have to remove the jockey wheel from the unicorn as it is so low to the ground using a detachable tow bar - should i get the stronger srpings installed if so any idea where to go aside from a KIA dealer?

That might not help.  I suggest you start with the basics. 

• What height is the centre of the towball from the ground, on level ground with the car laden but the caravan not attached? 
  • What is the noseweight of the caravan?
  • Do the car shock absorbers seem worn out?
  • Are the tyre pressures correct?

On 12/01/2014 at 15:03, keithjl said:

any info towing with kx1 without. self levelling

I don't know if the KX-1 has the same suspension setup as our old Sorento. Ours did not have self levelling suspension but was absolutely fine towing a couple of tonnes of caravan. I would have replaced it with another petrol version but for the fact that the latest models were only supplied with diesel engines - so Kia lost a customer :(