More Led .. Cool Or Warm Light?

Disco Kid

warm, the cool are just too white, like a dentists or a shop. warm white every time for living spaces

Depends what you want.

Cool appears brighter so IMO better for illumination.

Warm is softer and feels more homely.

Some people use both together as they say it gives a better overall light.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

I was unsure so I put warm white in all the main overhead lights, and cool white in the reading lights. That combination works ok.

The warm white I have are very yellow - I'm not sure I'd be happy if they were all that colour. But the cool white are very clinical. So definitely have some warm white.

I bought these about 3 years ago. I hope that eventually they'll produce something half-way between the two (if they haven't already?)

The newer warm white ones are less yellow and brighter but I have found with LEDs you get what you pay for

The white lights can be blueish and very clinical

We have cool ones in the kitchen area and above the bathroom sink, and warm ones everywhere else.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

My lights take two 'bulb' units, so i put a 'Warm' white and a 'Cool' white in. When they are both switched on it gives a very nice spread of colour. Most acceptable for reading.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Warm white everywhere but the bed reading lights for us.

hawkaye :beardy:

The warm LEDs now available should be similar light colour to the original lights.

We have also fitted the cool ones for reading light over the bed and a 48 SMD panel as the awning light.

Warm ones. Gives a better balance of light, and definitely more homely if you are coming in from it chucking it down outside!

Hi

I carry both warm white & daylight tape when doing leds at rallies-- I have test strips of both and show them working in the van belonging to the enquirer. So far it works out that 70% like warm white ! Be aware though that one makers "warm white / daylight " will in all probability not be the same as another maker. Perhaps you could look at a van "on site/ rally " and if you like the light ask where they got them from ?

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Did a quick check all mine are 3000k and marked as warm. This is confirmed with my camera around the 3500k gives a true white. Daylight (Also flash gun) is around 5500k and tungsten around the 2850k with fluorescent around the 3800k mark, so 3000k seems a good compromise. Is seems very bright and white to me, and was some what surprised when I looked at the packet. What surprised me also was the CD test. If you angle a CD it will act like a prism and you can see the colours given out by the light. The fluorescent returns bands of colour, where the LED seems to have a smooth transition, so with Photography you may need to adjust the colour temperature, but once done, the colours do seem to be correct as expected in daylight.

I have warm for background & blue white for reading lamps, I have 6 led which are comfortable to read with,

the 10 led were too bright

28.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I read in a book about sleep problems that you shouldn't buy/use daylight coloured lights at night. Something about circadian rhythms and fooling the brain into thinking it's morning and, therefore, switching to 'wake up' mode when in fact you're preparing for 'sleep mode'.

Same goes for LCD displays (laptops, tablets etc). Apparently they contain a certain frequency of light that can result in finding it difficult to get off to sleep.

I read in a book about sleep problems that you shouldn't buy/use daylight coloured lights at night. Something about circadian rhythms and fooling the brain into thinking it's morning and, therefore, switching to 'wake up' mode when in fact you're preparing for 'sleep mode'.

Same goes for LCD displays (laptops, tablets etc). Apparently they contain a certain frequency of light that can result in finding it difficult to get off to sleep.

It's the 'blue' range of light I believe they said on that TV show about this a while back.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Oh maybe that's why I can't sleep. I have a 0. 58W GU10 which takes that little current there is enough induction in cables that they never go off they just dim.

It doesn't work on me because I can fall asleep using my laptop!

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

What do you recommend?

I changed my halogens to daylight (Hard white bluish light). The effect was too harsh and cold looking, so now have warm white on order.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

It depends what you are using them for, as above. If you are reading or sewing or doing paperwork or trying to put your contact lenses in, the cool "white lights" are better, and if you are just relaxing and maybe watching TV, or if you just need to make sure you don't trip over the dog, the "warm" lights are better.

We haven't got around to replacing our lights yet, but we'll probably replace all of the recessed overhead lights with white, together with the ones at our son's "end" of the caravan (as he reads, plays games and now has a DS to entertain him if necessary as well), it's also the dining end of the caravan if we don't have the awning up.

At the other end which is the "grown up's lounge" we'll have yellow lights. There is a fluorescent strip light above the kitchen worktop which is white, and which we will leave alone.

I can't believe how many lights we've got in the caravan!!!!!

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Hi,

How about a compromise ? if its possible to fit LED tape ( say 6 "runs" of tape ) in say the overhead lights why not fit 3 "runs" of daylight and 3"runs" of warm white ? if not happy with that adjust to suite. Some ( overhead ) lights have a three way switch ( low, high power & off ) why not fit warm white to one side of switch and daylight to the other ? Have fitted these switches to a lot of caravan lights ( can only source in black ) giving on in one position a low light ( say 1/3 of the leds and in the other position all LED's on- gives the best of all worlds.

david

It depends what you are using them for, as above. If you are reading or sewing or doing paperwork or trying to put your contact lenses in, the cool "white lights" are better, and if you are just relaxing and maybe watching TV, or if you just need to make sure you don't trip over the dog, the "warm" lights are better.

We haven't got around to replacing our lights yet, but we'll probably replace all of the recessed overhead lights with white, together with the ones at our son's "end" of the caravan (as he reads, plays games and now has a DS to entertain him if necessary as well), it's also the dining end of the caravan if we don't have the awning up.

At the other end which is the "grown up's lounge" we'll have yellow lights. There is a fluorescent strip light above the kitchen worktop which is white, and which we will leave alone.

I can't believe how many lights we've got in the caravan!!!!!

Hi,

The most lights i have fitted ? in a Bessacar T/A -- even had one over the "throne" so you sat there--- illuminated ! ( yes - changed it to LED ! ) david

Hi,

The most lights i have fitted ? in a Bessacar T/A -- even had one over the "throne" so you sat there--- illuminated ! ( yes - changed it to LED ! ) david

Our bathroom is so small that any light would illuminate you. We do have two (possibly three, I need to go and look) lights in our little bathroom. A big one, and a little one in the shower. As we never have all of the lights on at the same time, and indeed haven't used some of the lights at all, I'm not sure which are 12v only and which are 240v. The lights we favour are clearly the 12v ones as we've never had to run round checking which work when we've been off hook-up. Maybe they are all 12 volt.

When I go down to the caravan with the instruction book to work out which light is which (with their pretty names, like Zoe and Lumo). I'll know what LED bulbs we need to order, and I'll count how many lights we have!!!

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Our bathroom is so small that any light would illuminate you. We do have two (possibly three, I need to go and look) lights in our little bathroom. A big one, and a little one in the shower. As we never have all of the lights on at the same time, and indeed haven't used some of the lights at all, I'm not sure which are 12v only and which are 240v. The lights we favour are clearly the 12v ones as we've never had to run round checking which work when we've been off hook-up. Maybe they are all 12 volt.

When I go down to the caravan with the instruction book to work out which light is which (with their pretty names, like Zoe and Lumo). I'll know what LED bulbs we need to order, and I'll count how many lights we have!!!

Funny -- i bought years ago a leatherman folding knife thing -- that has Zoe engraved on it --- she certainly gets around !