London Sites - Feb Half Term

could any one recommend any cheap decent sites by london with reasonable access to the attractions, i. e by tube/bus.

coming from the west mids

I know of two Caravan Club sites both of which give ready access to Central London but neither can be described as cheap. They are Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace

We have stayed at Abbey Wood and would recommend it although the drive to and from is along busy roads (we travelled from the north via the Blackwall Tunnel through Woolwich). We haven't visited Crystal Palace but intend our next caravanning visit to London be be to that site as it is closer to where our children live and hopefully a better drive

Some people may seek to avoid towing the van through London - or even driving solo - but it isn't a problem. Although there never seems to be a time when the roads are not busy I would advise that you avoid the morning and evening rush hours!

The Lee Valley campsite has a bus go right to the site. You can then catch a train from Edmonton Green into London Liverpool Street, or change onto the Victoria line on the Underground @ Seven Sisters.

http://www. visitleevalley. org. uk/en/content/cms/where-to-stay-and-short-breaks/camping-caravan/

If you have a bus pass, it will work on buses only, which can be a bit slow around London, Travel cards or Oyster Cards (better value) http://www. tfl. gov. uk/tickets/14836. aspx will get you around on buses. trains, trams, underground and the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) and also, for a small extra charge, the Emirates cable car across to the O2. http://www. tfl. gov. uk/modalpages/23863. aspx

It's a good site.

Hertford C&CC, is a large site but, is a 20 minute walk to the railway station and of course would cost you more to get into London.

The Lee Valley site is easy to get to. M1, M25, A10 (about 100 yards) then a good road to the site.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

We've used Crystal Palace several times and are planning a Spring trip. We like it a lot - interesting local area, excellent transport links to central London and usual CC facilities. We much prefer it to Abbey Wood, although have used the latter only once.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Consider also CC Wyatts Covert site at Denham (between Rickmansworth & Uxbridge), just off the M25 and close to the M40/M25 junction. A kids a penny site. ..

You can get into London (Marylebone, near Baker Street) from the local station (a fair walk to it though) or drive (perhaps bus?) to Uxbridge or Rickmansworth stations (to Baker Street). All will do a cheap Day Travelcard option for the whole tube and London bus system (check prices out at the Transport for London website).

This may be more convenient to get to from the Midlands than the South London alternatives.

Commons Wood CC site at Welwyn Garden City is another but may be a bit 'far out' of London.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

What about the congestion zone ?

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

What about the congestion zone ?

Lee Valley is outside the congestion zone

Thinking more of crystal palace.

david

Lee Valley is outside the congestion zone

So is Crystal Palace, and the route there doesn't cross it.

However, it is within the LEZ (as is Abbey Wood) so you may need to check that your towcar isn't liable:

http://www. tfl. gov. uk/roadusers/lez/17700. aspx

My Discovery was incorrectly registered from new & I had to have it reclassified!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

So is Crystal Palace, and the route there doesn't cross it.

However, it is within the LEZ (as is Abbey Wood) so you may need to check that your towcar isn't liable:

http://www. tfl. gov. uk/roadusers/lez/17700. aspx

My Discovery was incorrectly registered from new & I had to have it reclassified!

Thanks Ian, got my zones mixed up !

david

Theobolds Park C&CC site is another one, but again, a couple of miles distant from the railway station

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Theobolds Park C&CC site is another one, but again, a couple of miles distant from the railway station

Nice site Theobalds, especially if you like rabbits and the continual roar of the M25!

I think it is closes for the winter until March though, it always used to.

Trains from Turkey street are within the TfL Oyster & Travelcard Zone 6. Parking in the station car park or in the local streets, else it's a long walk, or taxi to Turkey Street or Waltham Cross.

Nice site Theobalds, especially if you like rabbits and the continual roar of the M25!

I think it is closes for the winter until March though, it always used to.

Trains from Turkey street are within the TfL Oyster & Travelcard Zone 6. Parking in the station car park or in the local streets, else it's a long walk, or taxi to Turkey Street or Waltham Cross.

It's open all year http://www. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk/campsites/uk/hertfordshire/walthamcross/theobaldspark

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

So it is! It never used to be though.

It was once my nearest site and I could get there in 10 minutes, so could go home for a shower if they were full!

​WE have used Theobolds park-- seems to be in the middle of nowhere ! Had to travel for shops/fuel, they now have log cabins on a good part of it. The toilet empty point smelt to high heaven ( hot weather ) All in all not a place we plan on returning to.

david

There is also Chertsey c&cc with trains from both Chertsey and Weybridge.

Denham can be very expensive due to its location and proximity to London

2019 Adria Adora Thames