Breathalysers In France

Hi i know this has been covered before but what is the law relating to carrying berth test kits in France as last year there seemed to be some confusion as to weather it actually became Law

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The law requires you to carry a breathalyser. However, there is no penalty for not carrying a breathalyser. This nonsensical situation arose possibly because having made it a law, the French realised it was daft, but didn't dare change the law for fear of being sued by millions of motorists who had bought them, so they wriggled out of it by NOT changing the law, but rendering the law meaningless.

In short - no need to carry a breathalyser.

I understood that the penalty for not carrying a breathalyser was only suspended. I carried a pack of two last year, and intend to do the same again this year. If the ones from last year have an expiry date that has passed, then I'll replace them. I am not prepared to take as verbatim what is stated on a forum, and the cost of a 2-pack breathalyser kit is cheap enough anyway.

Buy a couple, throw them in the car. One less thing to worry about.

We have cops over here that are rule book enforcers, try charming your way with a foreign cop and you will need a drink or two anyway ;)

They also come in handy when back home to see if you are over the limit after a night on the beer. Yes I know the levels are different but it's a fun way to shut the mrs up :D

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I don't understand the thinking that says. ...even though I cannot be fined for not having them, I will have them anyway 'just in case'.

Even the most diligent police officer can't invent a fine for not having them. ..when the law says you can't be fined????

This is France we're talking about. Obeying rules and common sense have nothing to do with normal life!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You are correct Eric, but that doesn't stop one from being a pain in the rear. The less he has to pick on the better your journey will be.

For a couple of quid, it is not really an issue, unless you want to spend quality drinking time arguing the fact on the side of the road ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I believe the law requires you to carry 2 breathalysers, not one. I agree it's best to carry them as if you get stopped and one thing is wrong the police will look for something they can get you on! Not dissimilar to the UK really.

You are only required by law to carry one.

It's always the same. the French make the laws and then ignore them,the Brits accept them and then elaborate on them!

knarf

From a French government web site. ...http://tinyurl. com/l8ztqzs

Un nouveau décret, paru au Journal officiel le vendredi 1er mars 2013, maintient l'obligation de posséder un éthylotest mais en supprime la sanction en cas de défaut de possession de l'éthylotest : les conducteurs doivent continuer à posséder un éthylotest dans leur véhicule, mais en son absence ils ne seront pas sanctionnés.

Un nouveau decret = a new law

Mais en supprime la sanction = removes the sanction.

Sanction = a threatened penalty for disobeying a law or rule.

From a French government web site. ...http://tinyurl. com/l8ztqzs

Un nouveau décret, paru au Journal officiel le vendredi 1er mars 2013, maintient l'obligation de posséder un éthylotest mais en supprime la sanction en cas de défaut de possession de l'éthylotest : les conducteurs doivent continuer à posséder un éthylotest dans leur véhicule, mais en son absence ils ne seront pas sanctionnés.

Un nouveau decret = a new law

Mais en supprime la sanction = removes the sanction.

Sanction = a threatened penalty for disobeying a law or rule.

They should really have said. ..' it's a good idea to have such a device in the car for your own reassurance after drinking.'

Rather than saying, 'you should continue to keep them in the car. ..but won't be punished if you don't keep them in the car.'

Edited by ericfield

The French site owner where we stay on a regular basis, when asked about them said he did not know of any one in the village that carried them

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

Indeed !! I always liked the story of the Italian policeman who came check the local speed camera and found a sack over it.

After checking the camera to see if any speedsters had been registered he replaced the sack and then proceeded on to his other duties !!

You are only required by law to carry one. It's always the same. the French make the laws and then ignore them,the Brits accept them and then elaborate on them!knarf

Assuming for a moment that this particular law was rigorously enforced. ..

. .. if only one is carried in the vehicle, you have cause to use it and it indicates that you are fit to continue your journey then, by continuing your journey you would clearly be in breach of the law.

Don't drink if I'm driving that day in France. Wouldn't drink late at night if driving next morning.

Don't use a breathalyser over here to check and wouldn't out there.

Fine can't be enforced currently and even if it was, would be €11.

Risk assessment over - think I'll carry on not bothering carrying them ;)

Wasn't there a connection between one of the ministers involved in bringing on the law and the owners of the company who made all the breathalysers. I am sure that is coincidence why it ahs been indefinitely shelved of course. ..

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

As said the law says you should carry them but the fine imposed is waiting to be passed.

Worth remembering you need to carry spare glasses if you wear them at all times in the car as well.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Assuming for a moment that this particular law was rigorously enforced. ..

. .. if only one is carried in the vehicle, you have cause to use it and it indicates that you are fit to continue your journey then, by continuing your journey you would clearly be in breach of the law.

Nonetheless the law only requires you to carry one and you are fully compliant by doing so.

It's like so many things we Brits add extra rules because we think it should be so,ie,it's frequently said that there must be a high viz vest for all occupants of a car in France,that you must have 3 triangles when towing,you must carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit and carry spare spectacles if you need them,theres even one british run website that insists that you must carry a pair of spectacles if you wear contact lenses. None of this is required by law but may make sense to do it,but you get posters vehemently insisting that you must apply all these things.

knarf

Be careful, if driving in Ireland, not to have too many people in the car. I've heard of a guy in an Audi Quattro being fined for having more than four people in it, and another in a Fiat Uno being fined for having more than one person in it. . .

Be careful, if driving in Ireland, not to have too many people in the car. I've heard of a guy in an Audi Quattro being fined for having more than four people in it, and another in a Fiat Uno being fined for having more than one person in it. . .

LMAO I like this one.

As said the law says you should carry them but the fine imposed is waiting to be passed.

Worth remembering you need to carry spare glasses if you wear them at all times in the car as well.

Dave

The penalty for not carrying a breathalyser was passed and in force (€17) but repealed. It is reputed that by removing the penalty but retaining the offence it will be possible to re-introduce the penalty if necessary.

If glasses are required and coded on a driving licence it is an offence not to wear them whilst driving.

There is no requirement to carry a spare spare. .....but obviously, in the event of breakage or loss driving is no longer legally possible.

Knarf in post 17 sums it up nicely. ........Mythbusters Unite!

The penalty for not carrying a breathalyser was passed and in force (17) but repealed. It is reputed that by removing the penalty but retaining the offence it will be possible to re-introduce the penalty if necessary.

If glasses are required and coded on a driving licence it is an offence not to wear them whilst driving.

There is no requirement to carry a spare spare. .....but obviously, in the event of breakage or loss driving is no longer legally possible.

Knarf in post 17 sums it up nicely. ........Mythbusters Unite!

Myth? Driving in EU.

Our government website gives a requirement for spare glasses in their information.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Myth? Driving in EU.

Our government website gives a requirement for spare glasses in their information.

Dave

Don't know where you got your info from but it's wrong!

French law (which is the law we should be observing)does not require the carrying of spare spectacles,but if your license indicates they are needed when driving they must be worn.

. http://www. droitissimo. com/auto-moto/vehicule/equipempent/lunettes-vue-rechange-voiture

Just another example of the Brits adding to a Foreign countries law!

knarf

Myth? Driving in EU.

Dave

It may give a recommendation but the legal requirement throughout the EU is only that glasses must be worn when driving if the licence specifies them.

I wonder how many drivers who have to wear glasses whilst driving actually carry a spare pair.