Bmw 520D

rinty

My troubles with my current CX7 are being well documented on the Oh Dear thread but has lead me to consider getting rid of it as soon as i get it fixed.

In any case I am considering getting a BMW 520d (current shape F10). I'm struggling to find an accurate unladen weight for it.

Anyone have any experience of towing with one?

My van is a Bailey Pageant (1498kg gross)

330d with a Challenger following!

Dunno about the saloon (F10), but I had the previous model (E61 - M-Sport estate) which I put over the weighbridge and it came in at 1690kgs.

I have a F11 now but haven`t weighed it or towed with it, but the car feels weightier than the old one, has a wider track and longer wheelbase so should be at least as good. I towed quite a bit with the old one and quite simply couldn`t fault it. More than enough go, and utterly stable (but the estates -`tourings`- have self levelling rear suspension).

The F10/11 ltr unit has more power & torque, and is also more flexible (and economical) in general use, so I don`t think you have a problem.

My 58 plate 520SE Touring on the weigh bridge came in at 1740Kg with self levelling suspension (standard fit), and the factory fitted electric Towbar and 530 spec alloys.

It was a better towcar than my previous 55plate lwb Shogun

Mine's the Touring as well but other than the self-levelling rear suspension, same as what you are considering. Really good towcar (replaced a VW Touareg 3. 0 V6) with a superb 8 speed auto-box which returns some remarkable fuel consumption figures but drops a fair bit when towing. Average solo over 6500 miles is just short of 40 mpg and towing in late 20s but I do a fair amount of short journeys and love to use my right foot! Van is Unicorn Madrid with MTPLM 1596kg

Sam :beardy:

Hi Rinty

I had a 520d F10 for two years before changing to my current 520d GT (F01). If I remember the

kerbweight was 1700kg, I also had the factory fit swivelling towbar and 8 speed auto box. It was a

great towcar when towing at 85% but when I changed my 2 berth VIP Coachman for a new VIP 4 berth

I was near the limit pulling 1625kg (96%). Although well within the legal limits I did find it a bit

twitchy in windy motorway conditions, the relatively long overhang and big boot didn't help. However when I changed to the GT kerbweight 1950kg, short overhang and self levelling rear suspension it was a revelation, an even better towcar. One benefit of the F10 was however fantastic low depreciation I only lost 3k over two years with nearly 30k on the clock. The 520 engine is superb. Only one criticsm

of the F10 was the steering, its new electric system is a bit vague in the centre position with a resultant loss of feel. The GT however is on the 7series chassis with good old hydraulic steering and in my opinion much better. F10 fuel consumption was excellent 48-52mpg solo and 31mpg towing at 85%, GT a bit less 45mpg solo, 28mpg towing but it is not fully run in yet less than 10k so far. Your Bailey would come in at about 88% so you should be fine.

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover

Petejev is the boot larger on the GT than the F10 / F11?

Still shortlisting aswell and the F11 is definitely on there but the GT still offers a huge amount it seems (even though I'm still not on board with looks!) It does offer a huge amount of practical car for the money as they are good value second hand as not selling well compared with main 5 series models

Sorry to jump in on your thread Rinty. I have had a few 5 series now and they are great cars including the latest F10 shape, but I would say i would expect the F11 Touring to make a better tow car than the F10

i would also say if you can stretch to the 6 cylinder 3. 0 diesel it is even better and probably the best diesel engine anywhere. I would even go a year or so older to try and get one over the 2. 0 (nothing wrong with 2. 0 I would add)

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I tow a U2 Valencia with a 2007 530d tourer, had the car 3 years still not done 60000 miles so reluctant to change for the sake of it but would love a F11, it would still be a 3 litre as I think it's the best diesel engine in the world.

What ever model you get make it a tourer, the self levelling rear suspension is a must for towing

Great tow car

Still shortlisting aswell and the F11 is definitely on there but the GT still offers a huge amount it seems (even though I'm still not on board with looks!) It does offer a huge amount of practical car for the money as they are good value second hand as not selling well compared with main 5 series models

I agree totally with this. Never keen on the looks but more and more I find myself looking at them on Autotrader and thinking "that's a lot of car for the money". Maybe if I never approach it from the rear I could live with it?

I'm sure they could have done a better job on that rear end - completely ruins the look of the whole car. However, the darker colours do seem to look better for some reason.

If you search on Autotrader for a 5 series say up to 3 years old with 40,000 miles, nearly all the cheapest ones that come up are GTs. I just wonder if that means you'd struggle to sell later on if they're not selling well now. And those looks. ....

Did they do an xDrive version at all? If they did then I think that would swing it for me. I currently have 4wd and don't want to lose it. Will probably stick with what I have for another year or so though.

Edited by Smarty

Hi Sunshinetours, the GT boot is a bit smaller than an F10, the F10 is enormous but very difficult to get into the back of it especially as the boot lid opening is not very deep. The GT boot is much more practical and with the rear seats down positively cavernous, I have transported a full size bath, loo and washbasin to the tip in one go!!! and the boot lid closed. Regarding looks I don't know why people get hung up on it, the raking rear roof line and the squared back are so much more pleasing than say the back of a X5 or LR. The car really grows on you and having had mine for just over a year can still say it is the best car I have ever had. Pete

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover

Petejev

Thanks for input again. Guess looks will always be a personal thing!

Good to know its a practical car - need to get out and drive a few on my shortlist now. i've had a GT 530 SE a couple of times as courtesy car when mine has been for service and certainly drives nice enough and loads of room inside cabin

Think I am looking for the impossible which is a car that does everything as well as any other car!

Short list includes

BMW 5 series F11 and GT

VW Touareg

Volvo XC70 or rare V70 AWD

Jeep GC

Eclectic mix!

I have 5 series F11 (great car) which replaced touareg and my Excel SS tells me I have saved £580. 26 since Jul 2013 on diesel alone since I swapped the cars. All fillings brim to brim and like for like solo or towing. Add another £300 pa difference in road tax. ..

Loved the Touareg though. :blush:

Don't forget the X3!

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Removing cost Sam which would you rather have?!

Solo - F11 but Touareg very good

Towing - Towrag but F11 very good.

Removing all costs, Towrag shades it for me.

I can vouch for the Touareg. I've got a 2007 3. 0 v6 tdi and I've had it for 4 years. Fantastic car. Does everything and anything you'd ever want. Comfortable, high speed cruiser on motorways, pulls anything like it's not there and will go virtually anywhere a LR will (took mine on a LR Experience course and it did everything they could do).

I've just realised I've actually owned this car longer than any other car I've previously had.

Down sides? Road tax and fuel economy (although newer version is better and cheaper road tax).

Every time I wonder about getting something else I never find anything to make me change. Definitely keeping it at least another year now, maybe more.

And what car did I come from? E61 530D. Nice car, went well. Not terribly reliable but possibly unlucky with that. I do find the Touareg engine smoother and quieter (v6 v straight 6) and the gearbox also smoother change. Sold my E61 with just over 60k on the clock. The Touareg currently has 85k and still feels like new.

BM was useless in snow or on a wet field too.

Smarty one final Q - which would you say had better overall load capacity. Have 2a and 2c and need to start carrying maybe 4 bikes when we go on main hols (possibly can put two kids ones inside van)

This is a pretty big factor and why a Volvo is in equation as v large boot

I'll jump in whilst Smarty having breakfast! Touring boot is quite shallow unless you remove the load cover but even then not a match for the Touareg. I currently have to drop down a back seat just for one set of golf clubs and trolley and for 2 sets of kit I'm using all the rear load area but, although that sounds negative, it's fine for me overall cos there's only the 2 of us. With my previous caravan I had significant loads in the rear of the Touareg with no probs but current 'van struggles to get a heavy enough nose weight so carry quite a bit in van. Self-levelling suspension on Touring would cope fine though.

Thanks Sam - so Touareg probably shading overall space - downside of course is taller which means bikes on roof may not be as practical

Never thought I would say this but the Volvo is appearing attractive on all fronts at present!

I have a Maxxraxx tow bar mounted bike rack for the Touareg which can take 4 bikes and can also be used when towing the caravan (haven't tried it yet though). I thought overall boot capacity was about the same with load cover in place but Touareg has extra height when cover not in place.

The noseweight limit of the Touareg is 140kg versus 90kg of the BMW, hence you can have the bikes and caravan on at the same time with the Touareg which you wouldn't be able to do with the 5 series.

Getting 2 kids in the back is also a lot easier with the Touareg as you don't have to duck down.

Check out www. mytreg. com - it's a great site with a lot of useful info and everyone is very friendly.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread!

Im just looking at a 520D Touring - approx 2014 plate.

Is there any new advice?! Good, bad?

After reading too much and looking at many cars i have frazzled brain! 

Ideally id like an SUV type of car but dont like the fuel consumption that comes with it!

Thanks Matada

fuel consumption when towing or solo.

As towing will depend alot on your van,obviously. but solo we have a xc60 and 90 and both d5 auto pulling a cruiser at approx upto 1850kg . solo the 60 does approx 40/45 and with van on back last week average at 27mpg for 300miles 75% motorway 25% country road. little less with the 90 solo and not got a towbar to check towing. my son had a 63 520 touring and had very simular figures towing but a tad more solo.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

We have a 2012 520d. Touring model

Fuel consumption is better than previous SUV.   High 20s towing, 40 urban/ suburban, 50 motorway. I don't like to dawdle.

I love it. Loads of power, comfy, not an SUV. Drives very nicely. Self leveling is nice for towing.

We have auto box and found one with an electric towbar which simplified things.   Both great for towing.

Traction off wet pitches has been better then expected so far. Extra weight on rear wheels must help.

Hitch limit is 80kg I think. We tow 1550kg single axle. The outfit is slightly more susceptible to being passed or passing at 60mph or higher than previous SUV.

Ours has standard sat Nav (there's two sizes of screen), heated seats (essential it takes ages to warm up like modern diesels do), leather, eco dynamics pro (it charges the battery and closes vents for economy), parking sensors and electric seats. The only thing we miss from previous car is keyless entry and built in rear sunblinds. Some have this but all BMW are different, just depends what first owner chose.

Cons: it's huge. Really long and as you sit low and the bonnet is huge it's not the easiest in tight spaces though steering lock isn't bad and the sensors paint a coloured picture ( cameras available) It's fairly wide too. Boot is good but not huge like a big Volvo. We did get a full height 1. 5 width fridge freezer in though!

It has no spare or place to put one as the battery sits in the wheel well in the boot. It comes as standard with run flat tyres. Some people don't like their ride and swap to normal tyres. Check what you are buying as ours came with a mix and no spare - not sure how we would have stood with the recovery company. We've swapped back to runflats all round. I can't feel much difference in ride and the run flats have done their thing once already. I was able to have it repaired for £10 too. I think run flats must have come on in recent years. They aren't much more expensive and ride comfort seems good. So far I like the concept.