Alko Jockey Wheel Swap

cma

I currently have a hard plastic jockey wheel on my Coachman Pastiche. Its looking a bit chewed and looks similar to this:

post-62927-0-83540300-1389470131_thumb.jpg

I would like to get a pneumatic/air tyre for it to make motor moving a bit easier. But looking online I have to buy the whole jockey wheel and mechanism which is a fair few ££££.

Ie: http://shop. al-ko. co. uk/products/plus-jockey-wheel-steel-pneumatic-3. html

Can I just get the new pneumatic/air wheel and swap it over on my existing setup, which should be alot cheaper?

If so do I need to be aware of anything before ordering one? Any pointers on the best place for one?

Edit: Bummer, spelt Jockey wrong in the title but I can't change it, any admins willing to save my embarrassment and sort that please?

Edited by cma

I currently have a hard plastic jockey wheel on my Coachman Pastiche. Its looking a bit chewed and looks similar to this:

attachicon.gif3465. jpg

I would like to get a pneumatic/air tyre for it to make motor moving a bit easier. But looking online I have to buy the whole jockey wheel and mechanism which is a fair few ££££.

Ie: http://shop. al-ko. co. uk/products/plus-jockey-wheel-steel-pneumatic-3. html

Can I just get the new pneumatic/air wheel and swap it over on my existing setup, which should be alot cheaper?

If so do I need to be aware of anything before ordering one? Any pointers on the best place for one?

Edit: Bummer, spelt Jockey wrong in the title but I can't change it, any admins willing to save my embarrassment and sort that please?

You can't just swap the wheel as the jaws for the pneumatic one are wider to accommodate the wider tyre.

As far as I know you can't just buy the "bottom bit" either.

Ian

You could always bolt a fresh clamp on the outside of the a-frame, it's the way they used to be fixed.

I changed my plastic one for a pneumatic wheel. You do have to widen the jaws, but

it is possible.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Really must get my used (twice) Alko pneumatic jockey wheel listed in the for sale section :blush: .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

The complete Alko jockey wheel is much cheaper at The Caravan Shop. Buying the whole thing means it is extremely easy to replace the old one - and you have a spare one then. ..... in case the tyre deflates !!! ;)

I replaced ours and we find it a lot easier to use the mover across gravel, wet grass and up kerbs.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

If your pneumatic tyre gets punctured it will make you wish that you had kept the solid rubber one.

Also there is now a selection of Polyurethane foam jockey wheels, that might offer a compromise device, in theory.

Has anyone tried one, as a jockey wheel?

They are fairly common on small invalid cars.

David

Swizz