Calor Steel & Lite Farce

cma

We bought our 2nd hand van from a dealer and it came with a new 6kg Steel bottle. Being new to van's we didn't expect a receipt for it as we didn't buy it.

Now we're looking to swap it for a Calor Lite as we have big nose weight issues so rang around. ...

Gas and Hire Chesterfield. None in stock but if the did they would not allow me to swap Steel for Lite as thats the rules from Calor apparently. I can only swap Lite for Lite or Steel for Steel. And no matter what I said they stuck with it.

Rang Go Outdoors in Sheffield. Apparently they are not allowed to swap Steel for Lite either. Full stop. Sounded like their rule rather than Calor from the way he was talking. But helpfully passed me the details of another place to call that could swap Steel for Lite.

So Rang Gas and Hire in Sheffield. Nope, they can't swap Steel for Lite either. Although if he had surplus stock he would consider it. Asked when he might get surplus stock, he didn't know but knew it wouldnt be for at least 3 months.

So as he was a very helpful chap I asked about getting refunded on my Steel bottle and buying a Lite outright. And apparently I can only do this if I have the "form" that I got when I bought the Steel bottle. Now as the dealer supplied the Van with the Gas I don't have this form so he couldn't give me a refund for my steel bottle. .

So basically I'm stuck with a pointless Steel bottle. So much for the Calor website saying you can swap between Steel and Lite. ..utter rubbish.

So all I'm left to do is live with the noseweight prioblem or buy a Lite bottle outright. ..

Think with their attitude so far I'll be looking at FloGas to supply me, and I'll let my other caravanning friends know the same.

Do Flo-gas supply "Lite" cylinders?

Have you considered BP lite cylinders, freely available from Homebase, I think, with no deposit? You could keep the calor steel use up the gas then dispose of it, it hasn't cost you anything.

EDit:

I understand that BP is now part of Macgas which is in turn owned by Flogas but Homebase are still stockist.

Edited by b4bill

The Calor dealers have a stock of Lite bottles to swap like for like, out of this stock if they swap you a steel for a Lite they get a steel back in its place from Calor.

They have to have an additional supply of Lite bottles to swap steel for Lite, I know it sounds stupid but that is how it is.

The Calor rule is you can swap 6Kg propane for 7Kg butane and both for a LIte.

You should be able to order with Calor direct give them a call on 0800 662 663

Have you considered BP lite cylinders, freely available from Homebase, I think, with no deposit?

Oh they certainly charge for 'cylinder hire', just like Calor. .. but with 15% off at certain times. .. http://www. homebase. co. uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=110062 (Hover over or click on the <Doc 1 > icon for fuller price info which makes Calor's seem quite cheap.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

If you check the Calor web site for the contract details, (Small print). They agree to buy back your old bottle for a percentage of the retail deposit price, (based on a sliding scale). You can then buy whatever you want.

A Safefill bottle is your best bet. Safefill cylinders are lighter, the contents are visible and can be topped up or self-filled at most Autogas pumps at half the price of Calor gas.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Hi, you might like to have a look at www. safefill. co. uk for a very good alternative( LPG)to the old firm products . Roger

I have never had any problems swapping steel for lite and vice versa but I normally use a big distributer. However back in the midlands last autumn I had difficulty getting a lite, all the locals stockists were out of them. So I think it is the local dealer effectively rationing them. Calor list separately their stockists of lite on the net, I found that Go Outdoors (Coventry) were a stockist and they had loads of them at a price cheaper than I have paid before.

I holiday in Scotland a lot and if I were to go away from Calor (or Gaz) I would have difficulty getting refills. Look on the net for Flogas (or others) distribution, it is very patchy.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

We swapped at Go Outdoors at Stockton no bother,.... I even got an email saying I could. ..

Inbox me your email address and I'll forward it onto you . ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

There's a ready trade on Ebay for buying or selling Calor gas bottles. Mostly without the 'hire form' I suspect :o

hawkaye :beardy:

Changed mine at Robinson caravans near chesterfield mid season last year steel for light no problems

Kia sorento Titan in command of a bailey pageant Sancerre

Somewhere on the Calor web site (I couldn't find it) it states what their policies are for swapping cylinders. I seem to remember that it states that you can swap a 6kg steel for a 6kg Calorlite.

This Forum is monitored by Calor so no doubt on Monday, they vwill give you the official line.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I changed two steel 6 kgs to Lites with no issues other than on each change I had to sign another hire contract, but it was FOC.

The problem came afterwards in that on two occassions I have not been able to get refills; were offered steel but turned it down. Now I have twin BP 10kg Gaslights, and much prefer the product and have a close dealer who charges sensibly.

I tried the "it states on calors website" line to no avail. Bottom line is it doesnt matter what that says on the web if the place refuses to do it.

Be interested in Calor's take on it but even so it won't change the person on the end of the phone telling me they wont do it.

Edited by BenF
Removed link

I have swapped calor 6kg steel for light bottle at go outdoors. They also swapped a 6 kg steel propane for a 13 kg. Nice chap even carried my new 13 kg bottle to the car. ( Thanks Manchester branch)

I don't find the light calor bottle that light, it certainly won't be blowing away in the wind. If you are having noseweight issues it may not be the cure that you think.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Calor have already posted on this subject, if you have problems the advice is to contact your local Calor Centre in Lincoln or Barnsley, heres a link to the thread http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/89286-calor-exchange-policy/

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have twice been offered lites if required this past 6 months instead of steel. ......

I don't worry too much about another 2kgs of weight these days. ..following my weighing of all my full toilet fluids at a kg or more, each,realised that if I brought them into the car I would have removed 6kgs from front!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Will he need a new connection as well?

Think best thing is to buy a s/h cylinder off Ebay

I agree with many of you Calor dealers can be the most unhelpful in the world.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

According to the Calor FAQ the Lite are 4kg lighter when empty. So Should make a fair bit of a difference over 2 bottles, especially as we have only the plastic ramps and waste pipe in the front locker. All out toilet stuff is in the big locker just behind the axle so no gains to be made there.

Had a look and its a 2 hour round trip to get to the nearest Calor distribution centre, thats a hell of a trip everytime I need a gas bottle.

Had a look and its a 2 hour round trip to get to the nearest Calor distribution centre, thats a hell of a trip everytime I need a gas bottle.

But once you've changed to Lite, you won't need to go 2 hours round trip cos you'll be able to replace them lite for lite ;)

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Changed mine at Robinson caravans near chesterfield mid season last year steel for light no problems

Robinsons are a bit changeable with their policy. We wanted to swap a 6kg steel for a lite whilst before Christmas but no joy as availability of lite was poor. Try again later - maybe in the spring.

Go Outdoors (certainly our local branch) though are fully on board with it. If they have what you want in the 6 / 7 kg bottle group they will happily exchange. Probably their buying power gives them some say in what stock they get from Calor.

Two dealers in East Yorkshire showed me a Calor headed slip this last year. ...6kg steel or 6kg Lite or 7kg Butane. ..any swap between possible. ....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I feel it is some dealers being reticent to change and lose their Calor-Lite stock rather than any rule from Calor.

I seems all to boil down to limited Calor-Lite stock ie "availability".