One In Three Of Us Caravan Over Winter?

Grampy

I'm sure that a recent article I was told about suggested one in three of us took to our caravans during the winter at some stage. Surely that can't be true?

A warm comfortable roomy house is my preference, until the weather improves and looking around the storage facility where my 'van in tucked up for the winter, that's the majorities view too, unless I'm missing something.

Off to see my local rugby team play now. .....couldn't do that if I was away in a muddy field with the 'van.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We use ours through the winter as well, but not currently planning on going out until Feb. Today, for once, is a lovely, calm, sunny day and I so wish we were away now.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I can't see the point of spending all that money and then leaving it standing unused for months.

The caravan is usually warmer and draught free than staying at home compared with the older ones I used to use even during the winter.

Just over a week since I got back from the New Year rally and can't wait until the next one.

Grade 3 insulation means that the inside temperature should easily be maintained at 21C when it's -15 outside, so go ahead and enjoy the 'van.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

All year round vanner here. We love camping in the winter and could certainly not go more than a month or so without our caravan 'fix'. We've never been cold and never felt that we should be back home.

Use mine all year round, going away again next week! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Can't speak for others, but we've been out all year round from day one. In fact our very first rally as a couple was in the February snow back in the '80s. My parents also used caravans and tents all year round, so of course I was taken along too!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I imagine if all of the people who traipse off to warmer climes such as Spain with their caravans in Winter were included in that figure 1 in 3 is sounds reasonable.

We would caravan in Winter in principle, but in practice it's a faff getting it out of storage in the fading light on a Friday, getting it mucky on the roads, putting it back mucky in the dark on a Sunday (or leaving the site early enough to put it away in the light) and then finding time to clean it in daylight (ie wasting part of the following weekend when we could be doing something much more interesting).

If we could keep the caravan at home we'd probably use it quite a bit Winter, but fortunately we have our Bongo for Winter camping duties (and several tents but we'd only use a tent if we were guaranteed a dry day to dry it out again. The "we" in this case would be two of us and not three!!!!)

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

We have many sites here in Norfolk most are closed for the Winter never seen many vans on them so if one in three vans venture out in the winter where do they all stay. Only took a van out once in the winter about seventy miles each way did not seen another van on the road, in the summer we see hundreds.

We use ours in the winter - were away over Christmas. The next trip will be in Feb.

In my view it's a lot of money sitting on the drive so we try and use it as much as we can. It also gets used as our en-suite spare room when the family come to stay.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Well we use our caravan every month of the year. Sat at Broadway CC site in the glorious sun as I type this!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We were away in December and away again at the end of January. Just looking where to go in February now.

Cheers

Keith

Because of some health problems this has been the longest time my van has stood unmoving in 25 years. Other than a new year rally it hasn't moved since the end of September and is still parked up and is unlikely to move before March. We are going stir crazy sitting at home so much and I am fed up of the daytime tele my better half has been watching, along with the 'classic' (repeats) programmes of old that she is now favouring. We desperately need a single beds option with an excellent bathroom area and up to now cannot find one that ticks all the boxes but will still keep looking as we have to get back out there as priority.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I wouldn't claim to be an all yearer although we were away in the motorhome the week before Christmas. I would be inclined to go away in January but Margaret is not so keen.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

If I had my way we'd go to Spain, (or some other warm place) from November to February, but SWMBO has always vetoed that. We'll probably get away somewhere in February though - if that still counts as winter.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

We were away last week while the kids were still off school and it was great.

The site was at least half full.

Currently at Strathclyde Park CC site . . a few vans about . .. a very pleasant day today.

Although we do caravan less in winter we still get away.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Hi

not on our site out of 24 seasonals only 2 of us are using our vans this weekend.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

We took ours to Belgium late December, roads were clear and the caravan was lovely and warm, no problems at all. Next outing will be February as long as the road conditions allow.

Edited by Derekf

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

We are looking at going away February Half term. We are on the Hampshire Surrey border and wondering where to go so I ask you winter users where do you all go ?

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

With the right prep Winter touring can be a lot better than Summer. . Went up north (The Highlands) for years during the Winter baring in mind only a handful of sites were available. ... Near to empty Sites, no noisy "weans", mad dugs (which are rare ) , sometimes water issues depending on the frost and far cheaper rates plus Winter Sunshine with snow absolutely gorgeous . .... Now yi need to Book . ..... Try and get Booked on a Site up north at Hogmanay ? Yi have ti book yer pitch now . ......

GAS . ........... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

As others, we use ours in all weathers, every season has something different to offer, can not see the point in having a van and only using it during the summer months, but then again before we had the van we used to camp under canvas in all weathers.

The best bit of the van is that we do not get ice on the inside like we used to in the tent

Start at Easter and finish end of October. Mainly because our caravanning is done at dog shows with the exception of two weeks on holiday

If I had any holidays left I would caravan in the winter as well. We may get a weekend in before Easter this year

Getting 'bad' withdrawal symptoms now, been at home a month or so. Should be cured on Tuesday though, 4 days in York.

Freelander SD4, & 2014 Swift Ace Statesman

Although caravanning is new,camping all year wasn't. We went about 10-12 times a year. But the wife was getting fed up with sitting in the dark for long hours in winter. Now there's no obstacle - lights,heat and telly. Next trip is planned for February for a weekend somewhere close. Now there's even new carpet in there too. ..can't wait. I want my moneys worth!