We are in the early stages of planning this year's May/June trip & intend to head for the Italian Lakes (probably Como or Maggiore) then to the Saltzburg area. We aim to leave home around the middle of May, returning at the end of June.

We are experienced caravanners but have not visited either of these countries; we will book a ferry, probably at the northern caravan show at the end of Jan. After that we prefer to go where we please WHEN we please, but don't have any experience of these areas at this time of year. I'm happy to take pot luck on the way down but I'm guessing the Lakes will be totally different - we prefer smaller, quieter sites - will we need to book ahead?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Follow the link to read of our travels with & without the caravan :- Blog

We are in the early stages of planning this year's May/June trip & intend to head for the Italian Lakes (probably Como or Maggiore) then to the Saltzburg area. We aim to leave home around the middle of May, returning at the end of June.

We are experienced caravanners but have not visited either of these countries; we will book a ferry, probably at the northern caravan show at the end of Jan. After that we prefer to go where we please WHEN we please, but don't have any experience of these areas at this time of year. I'm happy to take pot luck on the way down but I'm guessing the Lakes will be totally different - we prefer smaller, quieter sites - will we need to book ahead?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

This will be in low season so booking ahead will almost certainly be unnecessary. We usually travel abroad June and September and use Camping Cheques or the ACSI card.

http://www. campingcard. co. uk/gb/en/europe/

http://www. campingcheque. co. uk/

We were once turned away at a popular site in Luxembourg City, 'Bon Accueil', but this is a popular stopping off point for overnight stays. We easily found another. 'Camping Kockelscleuer' was even better, but not in the ACSI network.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

We didn't book in May and June of this year and it was fine. Stayed near Bertesgarten and got the bus to Salzburg.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

In early June 2012 we did find one site at Lake Garda very busy and were pleased we had booked as meeting friends there. Camping Weekend near Salo is Dutch owned and was mostly full with Dutch caravanners and campers. It's not a small site, but it suits us and has a very pleasant restaurant and bar in a situation to die for. For Italy large pitches are available.

Never come across a full site anywhere else in Europe in May and June.

John.

Edited by John19

There is no getting away from it - the Lakes are very popular and for good reason; they are lovely. However, the road network really hasn't kept up and getting around is a nightmare as you just go from one jam to the next. The sites have generally quite small pitches in that area and none of the ones we went to could be regarded as peaceful, for better or for worse!

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Thanks all of you, very helpful info.

We have an ACSI card, Geemac (and camping cheques that came with last year's ferry booking) now we are able to travel in low season for the first time ever and intend to use them whenever possible.

I really enjoyed reading your blog Jenny, and will probably copy a lot of the things you did as we seem to like the same sort of holiday. I could do without the weather you experienced, though!

Thanks for the site recommendation John - although we prefer smaller sites, that's just for the lack of hustle & bustle so we'd try a larger site if it has different sections or great views or whatever.

You just reinforced my thoughts about the lakes BFM - I think we'll just have to bite the bullet as my husband has always wanted to go there & we've decided we will this year!

Edited by Blackpool Belle

We usually go away each year at the same times as you are planning to. The last time we booked any sites was in 2009. The reason was that they were not in any of the discount schemes and booking via the Caravan Club was £50 cheaper than paying direct to the site. (There had been a big shift in currency rates) Since then we have never booked. If you are going to a particularly popular campsite it pays to arrive early in the day, usually around lunchtime as leaving it later you can find busy sites full. The Italian Lakes are very popular with the Germans so it pays to check out the German school holidays and avoid if possible. I have a number of Blogs on my website, link below which might help.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Beware the public holidays in Europe. Whilst May and June are still technically low season there are a number of 'one day' holidays that the Germans run into looooong weekends. Eg . ..end of May

We go to the lakes most years,Como,Garda, Iseo, at Iseo we book as we like a pitch on the Lake, but never book any where else in July, August,Last year we went June and there was plenty of pitches at all the camp sites,

No in my opinion, Im away same sort of time and wont book anything. However the "Pentecost" holiday period is extremely busy.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

As my previous post I will only book if we are meeting friends and want to be in a particular location. One of the joys of out-of-season touring is that you are free to travel where you wish for whatever reason including the vagaries of the weather. In May 2012 we were in Munich (temp 9*C), moved to Bolzano (temp 23*C in the valley) and walked through snow in the Dolomites, moved to Lake Iseo (temp 12*C) where we had low cloud and rain for 3 days. On the day we left for the south of Italy, the sun was out and the distant mountains were carpeted with snow. Hairdresser will know what I mean as it's the same site she has stayed on. Three weeks later we returned to Lake Garda from the south and had glorious weather and temps in the low 30's.

Blackpool Belle there is no need to tie yourself down to an itinerary through booking sites in advance, but you may need to have a flexible approach to where you want to stay.

If you have an ACSI book, begin to look now at the availability of the scheme on possible sites in May and June. Public holidays and religious festivals can throw up some anomalies.

Our paths may even cross as we expect to be travelling across Northern Italy from Croatia to the French Alps sometime in June and staying at Lake Maggiore for the first time.

John.

Edited by John19

Thanks very much all - much food for thought here.

As ex-teachers we've been restricted to British school hols and have avoided the busiest places if possible, but this is a whole new ballgame. I HAD previously thought about looking at the holidays of other countries but had forgotten about it recently, so I'll get onto that shortly. I can't wait to be able to travel wherever/whenever like you John, going where the sun may be warm, and at half the price too.

I'm having a good time with my new ACSI book finding sites & planning routes - who knows, we may even bump into each other - and I'll be the one sitting with a glass of wine, feet up and with a beatific smile on my face :)