Hi-Fi Wiring Assistance

icepuffin

I have a panasonic CD stereo SA PM53 that has the old fashioned two wires [ one black, one black and white] we originally had them wired up to two large speakers, but when we re-decorated I binned those and wired them into our old TV.

The old Tv has now died a death and I also have a Sony Home cinema system that has a sub woofer, and 4 small speakers that you can have around the room.

what I would like to do is to somehow wire up the two old fashioned wires so that i can plug them into the back of the sony and use two of the sony speakers instead. On the back of the sony i have 5 connectors, red, blue, green, yellow and orange, which I assume relate to the 4 speakers and the sub woofer.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to how I can upgrade the two wires to a plug- in system allowing me to use the CD stereo again.

Many thanks

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

I think you will not be able to do this using the black - black/white wires for the following reasons.

The output from the Panasonic stereo on the black - black/white wires come off the power amp stage of the ciruitry which is designed to directly drive loud speakers, so would be too powerful to wire into the Sony. The overdriven signal would at the least cause distortion, at the worst seriously damage the input stage of the Sony.

The input into to the Sony is a low power signal that would barely drive a pair of Ipod headphones, this signal is designed to be accepted by the Sony which then passes it through the power amp stage in the Sony circuitry to drive the loud speakers.

The 5 connectors on the Sony you describe are 5. 1 surround sound phono inputs for playing a TV, DVD/Blu-Ray player or similar device that has the 5. 1 surround sound outputs.

You don't need to have all 5 connected, but the ones not connected will not drive the corresponding speaker outputs on the Sony to give you the surround sound experience.

You could use the Panasonic headphone socket to input to the Sony, you would need a 3. 5mm stereo jack to 2 phono plug adaptor

I just downloaded the pdf from Panasonic for your system and it shows 2 sets of 4 'wires' for the speakers - Grey, Blue, Black and red. So maybe older model? Were your speakers passive or active?

Just seen GPS response - sounds spot on

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

Thank you for your quick response, and there I was thinking it would be an easy solution. Next option then is the local charity shop and see if I can source a couple of small speakers that still use the old fashioned crocodile clips at the back.

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

If you have a Aux input on the Sony surround might be better to buy a iPod and a lead connect it or you could plug a laptop in as a CD player and use that.

CD decks are for sale on Ebay for about 5 pounds as not many people use them now.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .