Creaking Stabiliser

rickydicky10

Hi, had my first run with my outfit at easter. It has a snakemaster stabiliser fitted which is very hard to lift onto the shoe on the van and was creaking very loudly when turning. I was wondering if I have the shoe plate on the caravan set too high, or is it normal for it to creak. Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first proper caravan, I've had a tiny Romini for the past 11 years that never needed a stabiliser. Many thanks. Rick.

Went on the "Practical Caravan Course" a few weeks ago and the instructor said that creaking of blade type stabilsiers is normal.

Whatever you do don't "oil" it to stop the creaking as this completely negates the stabilser's function.

It has a snakemaster stabiliser fitted which is very hard to lift onto the shoe on the van

For the shoe to be in the correct position, you should be lifting the end of the leaf about six inches from its relaxed position. Creaking is caused by dirt/corrosion between the castings and the friction discs. The creaking does no harm, but if you want to stop it, dismantle the stabilizer, clean all the surfaces against a sheet of abrasive paper and reassemble so that the centre bolt is sufficiently tight to require a push of around 60/65lbs at the end of the leaf.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice, I will dismantle the stabiliser and have a good clean up. Thanks again for putting my mind at rest. Rick.

I find the creaking kind of reassuring - confirming that the stabiliser is on and doing its job.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

For the shoe to be in the correct position, you should be lifting the end of the leaf about six inches from its relaxed position. Creaking is caused by dirt/corrosion between the castings and the friction discs. The creaking does no harm, but if you want to stop it, dismantle the stabilizer, clean all the surfaces against a sheet of abrasive paper and reassemble so that the centre bolt is sufficiently tight to require a push of around 60/65lbs at the end of the leaf.

so what does that equate to in every day language?

A good push?

A light push?

How do you measure it?? :unsure:

so what does that equate to in every day language?

A good push?

A light push?

How do you measure it?? :unsure:

Quit a hard push to make it move, though it is not critical. Use bathroom scales to check how much effort is needed pushing at the far end of the lever to make it move. I use the gauge in my back to set mine. ...

If I don't struggle to both lift and then whilst lifted move it across into the caravan bracket, then one of the settings is wrong.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Archived