Towcar Suggestions Please

Steamdrivenandy

As can be seen below we have a Lunar with an upgraded MTPLM of 1295kg.

We're thinking of moving to one car as Mrs SDA's Yaris Verso automatic is getting a bit long in the tooth and expensive bills are on the horizon.

My Cee'd SW automatic is the very last of the non-DPF cars and could do with a bit more grunt to be honest. When not tugging however the car would mainly be used very locally and therefore having a diesel could be a problem.

Mrs SDA has an aversion to 'big' cars and I've owned a Sorento in the past which really was overkill for our needs.

So ideally we need an estate/MPV that'll pull 14000 to 1500kg with a petrol engine and a proper automatic box.

At one point I was looking at C-Max and/or Focus Estates but they don't produce a petrol auto. The Cee'd's been ideal and the current model has an uprated engine, but no higher towing limit and again it's diesel only.

Any ideas?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Why not stick with a KIA and go for a Sportage also better grip if needed . I would of thought you would get a better trade in at a KIA dealership and most important today with the high cost of repair is the 7 yr warranty so no worries against a Ford warranty.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

we had a c-max 2. 0l petrol auto. Was on a 58 plate. Very nice car to drive as i remember, but we had it on a motability scheme & had to swap it for a renault kangoo to accomodate a bigger wheel chair, which was one of the worst cars i have ever driven.

Mondeo or 5 series touring? Or are they a 'big' car.

Ford Kuga? they're about focus

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Problem is as you are wanting to tug up to 1500kg you are going to need a bigger engine car if you want petrol and auto IMO. This will also equal high VED and probably poor fuel consumption solo and towing (not an issue if doing few miles I guess)

Depending on age required and budget, you may find something like mentioned above a 5 series Touring or an E Class Merc estate with a 2. 5 / 3ltr petrol may be best compromise as anything with too small an engine will perversely give you worse fuel consumption when towing as it will be "struggling"

Hard to advise without a budget and max age of car

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I guess as the Cee'd is a 59 plate I don't want to go older if I can help, indeed the Cee'd still has 4 years warranty to go as it was a Kia Approved Used when we bought it and they rewind the 7 year warranty on those cars, so ours is covered 'til it's nearly 8. 5 years old.

On the other hand I've given too much away in initial depreciation over the years and I would like to avoid new if poss.

Mind HJ suggested the new 2. 2 diesel auto Mazda 3 which looks an excellent tug with a tow weight limit of 1500kg and a good size diesel unit and proper autobox, but it's new with the first deliveries due this month.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I guess as the Cee'd is a 59 plate I don't want to go older if I can help, indeed the Cee'd still has 4 years warranty to go as it was a Kia Approved Used when we bought it and they rewind the 7 year warranty on those cars, so ours is covered 'til it's nearly 8. 5 years old.

On the other hand I've given too much away in initial depreciation over the years and I would like to avoid new if poss.

Mind HJ suggested the new 2. 2 diesel auto Mazda 3 which looks an excellent tug with a tow weight limit of 1500kg and a good size diesel unit and proper autobox, but it's new with the first deliveries due this month.

I'd ask Rinty about a mazda before looking at one!!

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

What I was going to add about Mazda at the moment . possible £8k repair bill.

I always like to buy about a year old or less if I can then you have less to pay and what is left of a warranty . My one I have now was 2 months old and still had nearly the 5 yr warranty .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I'd ask Rinty about a mazda before looking at one!!

On this basis you couldn't buy any car ever. No manufacturer doesn't have examples of many types of failure. Mazda are probably one of the most reliable cars you can buy.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

I have had 2 Hyundais - the previous Santa Fe sounds too big for you but the current one I have - ix35 2. 0 CRDi - is a stunner, both solo or with 1500Kgs on the back. Mine is manual but there is a 6 speed auto available. Sorry but I don't follow your thinking that "as the car would be for local use diesel would be a problem".

I have had 2 Hyundais - the previous Santa Fe sounds too big for you but the current one I have - ix35 2. 0 CRDi - is a stunner, both solo or with 1500Kgs on the back. Mine is manual but there is a 6 speed auto available. Sorry but I don't follow your thinking that "as the car would be for local use diesel would be a problem".

I think he's refering to dpf problems that some people seem to be having. the other thing to consider in the petrol/diesel debate is that with the difference in price when new, unless your going to be doing high mileage, a petrol car can work out cheaper overall anyway. on a lot of cars its only when you get past about 80,000 miles that the costs start to even out.

We're looking at used XC90's and the petrol versions are a good couple of thousand cheaper than the diesels - & thats an awful lot of petrol & unleaded is now cheaper. I like the santa fe's as well - couple of friends have them & they love em.

Dont ask me about Mazda!!! My problem is that despite facing an £8,000 bill I still love the car. I would however recommend that purchase of a good extended warranty!

330d with a Challenger following!

Why not stick with a KIA and go for a Sportage also better grip if needed . I would of thought you would get a better trade in at a KIA dealership and most important today with the high cost of repair is the 7 yr warranty so no worries against a Ford warranty.

Dave

You need to watch the Ford warranty. It is actually only 12 months then it covers mechanical bits for another 2 years.

When the Smax had it service I asked them to look at the glove box as the damper has gone and the boot as it's very heavy.

Result was £65 for the glove box and £130 for boot struts as neither covered under the warranty.

I kindly refused and will take it up with customer services at Ford.

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

You need to watch the Ford warranty. It is actually only 12 months then it covers mechanical bits for another 2 years.

When the Smax had it service I asked them to look at the glove box as the damper has gone and the boot as it's very heavy.

Result was £65 for the glove box and £130 for boot struts as neither covered under the warranty.

I kindly refused and will take it up with customer services at Ford.

I know myself when I had a Ford 2yr warranty and had a battery cell break down and the battery was shot at 14 months. I was informed the battery was only under a 12 month warranty and not covered even though the the battery was a Ford battery with a 3yr warranty . Once fitted it it only a 12 month cover.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto