Narrow Roads

frazerg

Hi All,

Is it just us that are put off some sites by the narrowness of the approach roads. We thought we had found a really nice site in Devon (Higher Rew by Salcombe ) but one of the reviews mentioned the narrow road so we looked on google earth and they were'nt kidding. They looked narrow for a car without the caravan with no passing places. So what do other people do.

Chris&Frazer

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

Just go for it, you would be unlikely to meet another van coming the other way. If you do, just relax and reverse till you can pass.

I tend to agree that if access looks particularly difficult for this reason it will make me look at alternative sites, a shame as I'm probably missing out on some great little hidden gems!

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Just go for it, you would be unlikely to meet another van coming the other way. If you do, just relax and reverse till you can pass.

LOL LOL LOL

Hi All,

Is it just us that are put off some sites by the narrowness of the approach roads. We thought we had found a really nice site in Devon (Higher Rew by Salcombe ) but one of the reviews mentioned the narrow road so we looked on google earth and they were'nt kidding. They looked narrow for a car without the caravan with no passing places. So what do other people do.

Chris&Frazer

We caravan regularly in that area! Headlamps on, and take it gently, with the other half scanning ahead for on coming vehicles! If you meet something, let them reverse!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Just had a quick look on google earth and I think I agree the road is a bit tight. If you're over 35' long like we are it's going to be a bit hairy, I would have thought that there was quite a high chance of meeting another caravan and then you'd have to argue about who was the better reverser, how'd you decide - shorter outfit goes back? Best idea is to give stinky old Devon a miss and drive straight to Cornwall!

As an aside, if you caravan in that area, try the approach from Kingsbridge to Start bay Caravan Club site! Gets interesting when you meet a double decker bus!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

A lot of the sites have tight entrances and pitches as they have been around 60yrs when cars and caravans were far smaller.

I always use google earth to check a sites layout of the roads and street view to check the entrance and the width of the main road .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We used to go down Devon a lot. We got over that problem by travelling overnight and arriving just when it was light enough to navigate the lanes and there was nothing else on the roads. I'm sure if you make the appropriate noises they would let you get there early. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Just had a quick look on google earth and I think I agree the road is a bit tight. If you're over 35' long like we are it's going to be a bit hairy, I would have thought that there was quite a high chance of meeting another caravan and then you'd have to argue about who was the better reverser, how'd you decide - shorter outfit goes back? Best idea is to give stinky old Devon a miss and drive straight to Cornwall!

Where our lanes are equally narrow but far more interesting ;)

Best bit of Devon is Dartmoor, otherwise, come to Cornwall.

I'm with John W, although it's my husband who does the towing! However, as most of my non-towing miles are done on narrow lanes I can advise that it's just a case of standing your ground. If the the oncoming vehicle has somewhere to go they will know about it, so just stand your ground until they are out of the way. Likewise, you will have made a mental note of all the suitable places to squish yourself in and get out of the way, so it may be easier for you to back up.

If you aren't confident at reversing your caravan for up to a quarter of a mile or so, best to avoid the narrow lanes.

And don't forget, people, that crossing to a passing place on the "other side" of the road is fine. The issue is getting past other vehicles, not on which side you pass the other vehicle.

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

We caravan regularly in that area! Headlamps on, and take it gently, with the other half scanning ahead for on coming vehicles! If you meet something, let them reverse!

Easier said than done. On our last visit to the Lake District, we met a transit van, driven by a very obnoxious woman who would not reverse at all despite us being the lead of 3 vehicles. In the end, we ALL had to reverse as she wouldn't, which was not easy in such narrow lanes, us with a van on the back and two other vehicles following and only one gate entry! It appeared she was a local and didn't like the lanes being taken up by tourists!

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Easier said than done. On our last visit to the Lake District, we met a transit van, driven by a very obnoxious woman who would not reverse at all despite us being the lead of 3 vehicles. In the end, we ALL had to reverse as she wouldn't, which was not easy in such narrow lanes, us with a van on the back and two other vehicles following and only one gate entry! It appeared she was a local and didn't like the lanes being taken up by tourists!

Putting the kettle on might have made her recognise your resolve. ;)

Sam :beardy:

If the last little bit (try the Camping and Caravan Site at Walton on Thames) you can always try phoning ahead as you get to the difficult bit so they 'hold' any rigs back for a bit.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Over the years we have used many sites with narrow access roads. Brighton CC site for example,narrow road with parked vehicles and old camper vans effectively making it single track for a long distance. We also recently went to a site at Barney in Norfolk, access road was winding single track, with passing places for about a mile. Our experience with most of these sites is that they clearly say "Departures before 12 noon, no Arrivals before 12 noon often 1pm" in order to ensure that units do not have the problem of meeting each other head on in narrow lanes. However it always seems that there will be someone who does not read the site information or decides they will take a chance as "It does not apply to me". We see this every day where we live on a narrow lane connecting our village with a larger B road. Our lane is about half a mile long and has two bridges over railway lines at each end. Both are weak bridges so the County Council and Railtrack decided that one should be limited to 3. 5 tons and have a width restriction of 6'6" (It stops me taking the van out that way). When this was implemented 8 years ago they put physical heavy duty posts at each end of one bridge and large signs at each end of the lane advising drivers of the restriction. We still get the chancers who cant read. While I have been writing this a very large HGV delivering bread to our one local store decided to ignore the signs. He had to reverse along two thirds of our lane over a single track bridge with traffic behind him to get out of the lane. Sat Nav error or the signs don't apply to me? Within minutes after that another large van came along and had to use our driveway to turn road in so that he did not have to reverse down the lane. Please everyone read the site details and signs for narrow roads.

I do feel that comments placed in reviews like "steep climb, narrow road" etc. are often grossly overstated and could only be made by non country folk who don't use lanes or are towing with a well under powered vehicle.

If in doubt, Google Street view it, but don't start defeated.

It is easier to reverse a longer outfit ;) . ....all else being equal! :rolleyes:

Glad I've never had a short one then

Christ! Glad I've never had a short one then

But it's all relative. It's well-known that an articulated lorry (with 40' + behind the cab) is much easier to reverse in practical terms than my little camper with a short garden trailer behind. Yes, I know artics don't have a towball, and the trailer is hitched in front of the rear wheels.

Perhaps the poster was referring to that, rather than meaning that a large trailer (caravan) is always easier to reverse than a small one, which is not true. (Now experts will follow with details of ratio between tow vehicles wheelbase and hitch-to-caravan wheels distances, etc )

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

I have in the past when encountering someone like that just got the newspaper out and started reading it - they soon get the message.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

I have in the past when encountering someone like that just got the newspaper out and started reading it - they soon get the message.

Love it! :lol:

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

I too would stand my ground, if necessary let the legs down and put a kettle on. They'll soon give way.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Point out you have your bed, kitchen,lounge, toilet&shower with you !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Nice bit of exercise for the other half, she takes her mobile phone with her for a walk to the other end of the road, when she gets there she rings me then politely asks other vehicle users to remain there,I then drive up, always woks and she gets the exercise. Sorted.

many years ago the police have become involved when a solo vehicle would not reverse when faced with my dad towing.

they will made the solo reverse and gave the driver a stern talking to.

I think I would call the police and let them deal.

sole gives way to towing. downhill gives way to up hill

so far only once have a met a vehicle coming the other way on a narrow road. first time out with car and brand new caravan. it was tight but with care we managed. perhaps there was more space but first time out was cautious. just remember where the passing places are.

but reversing a caravan back along an 8-10 foot wide road would not fill me with joy

macafee2

Nice bit of exercise for the other half, she takes her mobile phone with her for a walk to the other end of the road, when she gets there she rings me then politely asks other vehicle users to remain there,I then drive up, always woks and she gets the exercise. Sorted.

Do you have a particular road in mind. I certainly wouldn't fancy a ten mile walk just to te my husband the road is clear

I too would stand my ground, if necessary let the legs down and put a kettle on. They'll soon give way.

Not caravan related, but a story I like to tell. I may have mentioned that I work as a tour guide. I often work on coaches. Many bus and coach companies do not permit their drivers to reverse with passengers on board without a banksman (that'll be me) but on this occasion, my driver had already backed up twice, and was standing his ground. The other vehicle was a newish BMW - don't ask me exactly what it was, the event I am relating was about ten years ago, but it was big and posh!!! The driver was female, and the passenger was male. Husband and wife, I suspect. She just froze when she saw the coach, but eventually had a half hearted attempt at reversing into a nearby gateway . .... steering turned the wrong way, or not turned far enough the right way, her attempts at reversing were not a great success. So, male passenger, red faced by now, gets out of the car, stomps round to the driver's side, opens door, pulls out woman, gets in car, floors it and collides rather noisily with a rather large and very immovable granite gatepost. Smack bang on centre of the back of the car.

In reducing the length of his car by this manoeuvre, he allowed just enough space for the coach to pass. Of, course, I had to give a running commentary as only the first six rows on the coach could see what was going on!!

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)