I Say Kampa Rally 260. Her Indoors Wants Traditional Porch.. Help!

GrumpyKev

Me again

After nearly falling for and having a lucky escape from ebay last night, as advised we went shopping today. . Her indoors loves the traditional porch awning like Dorema and Bradcot and I fell for the Kampa Rally for quickness and lightweight materials.

I bow to your knowledge and experiences. ..who should win. ..PLEASE HELP!!!

We have a Doreema porch awning that we bought when we first bought the caravan and a Kampa Rally which is a bit larger

We have used the Doreema 3 or 4 times and the Kampa 30 or 40 times! The Kampa is so easy to put up and quick to dry.

If we had someone to put up and take down the awning it would be the other way around!

Our main reasons for getting the Kampa for was the weekends away which count for alot of time in the caravan. it can be put up in no time at all and the fact that it is so much quicker to dry than the Doreema and if it does get packed away wet much easier to dry at home. The Kampa has negatives. It is heavy and they do suffer more from condensation than the Doreema. We also find the Kampa is easier for one person to erect and take down

Do the technicalities matter in a case like this? :)

But for what it's worth. .. we had a Dorema Hilton (!) porch - good material and appearance, but the frame was darned awkward to get into place - too many joints all wanting to bend at the same time.

Replaced it with a Kampa Rallye 260 - quite happy with that. Easier to put up and lighter to handle.

Bry

Surely whoever is going to have to put it up has the final say in the matter!

No!! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Forget every option/brand you mentioned a get an Isabella Magnum, second hand if possible, or if you must a Ventura Marlin a slightly cheapened version. Buy once buy well and forget about the weather, it will stand it for at least a decade, ours now 12 years old and by far the most used awning we have ever owned. .

Edited by JTQ

I have always been a fan of isabella and this year treated myself to a s/hand Magnum. ( from eBay)

I have not been disappointed with the quality and was one of those who rubbished the trend towards lightweight awnings.

Last year my neighbour on a seasonal site erected a lightweight and left it up. I watched the set up in the wind over a few weekends expecting it to fly away but it didn't. It did seem to flex and absorb the wind perhaps better than a traditional awning would have done.

Don't know whether the wear and tear on the lightweight will be worse than a traditional. Common sense says it will be but common sense also made me believe it would be round the nearest tree after a few gusts!

Sorry to be a fence sitter but I can see there are definate pros and cons either way.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Still swaying guys and the Kampa is winning at the moment. Please keep the help coming

Go for it, you will know better next time, and there will be ;)

Ok for years it was Isabella or similar. ..two years ago SWMBO could no longer assist owing to Arthritis. .and my bad temper, she says. ........." If you want another awning you have to be able to assemble and take down by yourself"........alternatives were limited but Catterick Caravans had a good selection and I watched the number of Kampa awnings being sold. Shirl on this Forum recommended Kampa so that was it. ....

I bought one and put it up,very slowly, in a gale in Scotland, reading the instructions ( as all men do) and it took me nearly 2 hours as the awning rail spacing was too tight, however. two people came across during the following week to have a look at it and certainly one went out and bought one straight away. Yes there are younger and fitter people who say they can do it in 15 minutes. .....the longest job is the pegging actually.

We spent 104 nights away last year and the awning was up for probably 90 nights over say a dozen rallies,and yes I did it all. ......I resisted Force 8 winds on the cliffs of Norfolk and torrential rains in the Derbyshire Dales. ......

So take it from an old and slow one. ..they are different but they are good and one person can do the work alone. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Surely whoever is going to have to put it up has the final say in the matter!

Not generally, the supervisor always gets the final say

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I can recommend the Kampa Rally 260. If funds allow go for the Rally Pro tho, and get the rear poles and monsoon poles. You will not be disappointed.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

Agree with Clubman

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I don't think a Kampa will last as long as as an Isabella or a Doreema but they are designed as a lightweight awning.

Agree with the comments about getting the Rally pro.

We have also had ours up in some really bad wind and rain and not had any problems which was a concern at first as they don't feel as sturdy as a "proper" porch awning

The main advantage of the lightweight awnings is that they are lightweight and thus easy to erect. The Kampa Rally Pro will be heavy as is the Isabella, Dorema etc. ........

My point is that if you are going to fork out for the heavy Kampa Rally Pro then you may as well go the whole hog and get the incomparable Isabella porch awning for all the very good reasons mentioned above. (As above, second hand ones can be an extremely good buy).

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Ok for years it was Isabella or similar. ..two years ago SWMBO could no longer assist owing to Arthritis. . and my bad temper, she says. ........." If you want another awning you have to be able to assemble and take down by yourself"........

So take it from an old and slow one. ..they are different but they are good and one person can do the work alone. ...

geoff

This could incorrectly imply the Isabella Magnum for example, cannot readily be put up and taken down easily by one person? In my case one now well into his seventies.

Have I been doing it wrong by doing it myself for 12 years, with this one and overall some 30 plus years?

Given normal weather it is absolutely no issue and something I prefer to do by myself, my wife being free to do the important and necessary tasks she also ably can do by herself,

Given high winds all awning, and probably most of all a light weight one needs two people.

Edited by JTQ

We've had our Kampa Rally for 3 seasons now (albeit the 200) and we absolutely love it. We hardly ever use our NR Awning now as the Kampa is so quick and easy to erect - 20 mins max. We were away for New Year and used it without movement throughout the high winds and rain, whereas our friends large traditional awning was blowing a gale throughout and they had a few moments where they thought it might blow away! Hubby puts this awning up completely alone and it's very strong. It's the best £200 we've spent. Had a small problem with a rusty pole, but the customer service by Kampa was great and sent us two new poles free of charge. Would highly recommend that you get the extra and storm straps too. The only downside is there is some condensation and it collects in the rolled up window covers.

Hope this helps your decision, feel free top ask any more questions if you think it would help.

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

The Rally 390 Pro is about 4 kg heavier than the Rally 390, mainly I would guess due to the thicker material.

If you are keeping your van for long term and ease of putting up is not the main factor and you don;t need the extra width and depth, then the Isabella's probably make sense.

If however you change vans quite regularly and weight and a quick and easy set up, whilst retaining a sturdier than you first think, porch with lots of room inside is important the Rally 390 is the one for you. The Pro is a lot of extra money over the standard one and only has the weightier better quality material, all other parts are effectively the same (some alloy rather than steel poles but all still as adjustable)

I think Kampa offer great value for money personally

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

This could incorrectly imply the Isabella Magnum for example, cannot readily be put up and taken down easily by one person? In my case one now well into his seventies.

Have I been doing it wrong by doing it myself for 12 years, with this one and overall some 30 plus years?

Given normal weather it is absolutely no issue and something I prefer to do by myself, my wife being free to do the important and necessary tasks she also ably can do by herself,

Given high winds all awning, and probably most of all a light weight one needs two people.

No. ......I am referring to my situation not anyone else's!........am sure that plenty of people can do it. .I couldn't.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

• 2 weeks later...

We have a suncamp 260,which i can put up on my own,i suffer with arthritis in my hands so its nice and easy. When on a longer break 3 or more nights we have an Isabella capri lux full awning. We have never had any worrys over weather with the sun camp,and friends who rally all year round a have the kampa and they have been really pleased with there's. linda.

Isabella magnum the best there is, not cheap but will last for ever and resale value very good, can be put up by one person no problem.

. ......there are lots of conventional awnings for sale at reasonable second hand prices, mainly,I would suspect, as they have swapped for lightweight awnings. ...........

geoff

• 1 month later...

hi there, I have had a Kampa 390 porch for three years and its been brill, other awnings I have seen while out with the caravan have give in to the wind, my Kampa never moved, it never leaked, mind you i proof it every year, have just sold it for £100 its still like new no fadeing at all, so impressed have just got a Kampa 390 pro, my tip if you get one buy the storm poles for the roof and storm straps for the side, we always fell out when putting the awnings up, I can and do put the Kampa up on my own, it takes me 10 min then I peg down another 10 min, takes longer to put carpet--table--chairs in etc. at 69 years young the big awnings were mauling me, and there is loads of room in the Kampa I looked at the other awnings at the N. E. C in feb the Kampa is best by far, hope this is of help to you. mind you this is my opinion.