Battery

Whilst I'm waiting on a new battery can I get power to my van via cable into house with plug adaptor ? Or is this not advisable ?

Whilst I'm waiting on a new battery can I get power to my van via cable into house with plug adaptor ? Or is this not advisable ?

Hi Juno

In theory it would be fine, but some PSU's (Chargers) need a voltage to allow the charger to work.

Sounds like the old battery is duff, but just use that till you get the new one

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Thanks. Old battery not working at all.

There is no common rule. Some units will replace the battery others will not. It can cause problems with florescent lights if they are fed with a supply with high ripple. Tungsten lamps likely will be fine. If original equipment and a battery isolator is provided to ensure battery terminals are not live so can't touch and cause a short likely if it works it's OK. With replacement equipment hard to tell. I would try not using florescent lamps until new battery fitted.

Some "Swift" vans had rather delicate charger units; I would personally resist running without a battery. Could well work as it does with many, including cheaper controllers but could also prove an expensive and hassle inducing issue.

Juno,

The 2009 Charisma had a recommendation from Swift on page 52 of the Owner Manual as follows:

"It is recommended that a good quality rechargeable leisure battery is always in circuit when the system is in use"

You should however be able to use your old battery in circuit even if it will not charge.

Have you had your van checked to make sure the charger is working?

The Nordelectronicca units fitted in 2009 were as suggested by JTQ inherently poor and many failed in service and Swift stopped using them . They can be repaired by a company called Apuljack Engineering. Google them if you need a repair.

Edited by b4bill