Extendable Table Section Drops Below Main Table

tictag

On the 2013MY Lunar Stellar there is a centre console in between the two beds that doubles as an extendable table. I’m sure it’s the same for other Lunars. I’ve had my ‘van from new since August and noticed that the extendable section of the table increasingly dropped below the main section.

Turns out that there were only four screws securing the extendable section to the main unit but some 12 holding the table top to the rails! Those four screws had worked themselves loose and, in fact, damaged the wood they were screwed into.

I replaced those screws with slightly wider ones and added an additional four into adjacent holes. The extendable section now sits flush and, hopefully, will remain so for years to come.

p. s. Removing the drawers makes this DIY a little easier – this is done by removing the screw on the inside of drawer that secures the rail.

Oh dear . ... sounds like a very simple design flaw . .....

. .... there is aways some-thing to modify, eh . .....

Weldone, Tictag . ....

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

On the 2013MY Lunar Stellar there is a centre console in between the two beds that doubles as an extendable table. I’m sure it’s the same for other Lunars. I’ve had my ‘van from new since August and noticed that the extendable section of the table increasingly dropped below the main section.

Turns out that there were only four screws securing the extendable section to the main unit but some 12 holding the table top to the rails! Those four screws had worked themselves loose and, in fact, damaged the wood they were screwed into.

I replaced those screws with slightly wider ones and added an additional four into adjacent holes. The extendable section now sits flush and, hopefully, will remain so for years to come.

p. s. Removing the drawers makes this DIY a little easier – this is done by removing the screw on the inside of drawer that secures the rail.

Although you have a done a very competent DIY job, in essence it should have gone back to the dealership to be rectified for the simple reason that hopefully the repair is claimed under warranty, Lunar are notified and hopefully taker action to remedy the fault. I appreciate that this is not always practical due to cost of taking caravan to dealer ship plus downtime involved.

Unfortunately I cannot open the link, so am unable to see this mod. However, I must be lucky as my table has not suffered with this problem. :)

"Those who ask no questions, learn nothing"

Dick & Rona. ...........Honda CRV & Lunar Quasar 462

My van (Quasar 544) has the same table and would like to see the mod/repair, but as with Three Star-I also couldn't open the link. Any chance of a couple more pics please?

There tend to be problems where screws go into the extra-light ply used in caravans. Our previous Lunar had the "slide and fold over" extendable front unit. The actual table-top sections were fine but there was a wooden "valance" below the front, which covered the gap, and I had to attend to its four brackets and their screws several times. It was mostly the screws going upwards into the top section that suffered. I finally used slightly thicker screws plus a good squeeze of sealant into the centre of the ply.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Although you have a done a very competent DIY job, in essence it should have gone back to the dealership to be rectified for the simple reason that hopefully the repair is claimed under warranty, Lunar are notified and hopefully taker action to remedy the fault. I appreciate that this is not always practical due to cost of taking caravan to dealer ship plus downtime involved.

Yes, I do agree. By rights, this should be a warranty job. In fact, you've sparked something in my mind because, as you say, others maybe impacted by these "four screws". I'm going to write to my dealer and advise them to raise a report to Lunar about this. I'm confident that fixing it was the right thing to do (only took me a few minutes) but you have a point in that if this is a design fault or poor manufacturing practice, I have a moral duty to report it.

Unfortunately I cannot open the link, so am unable to see this mod. However, I must be lucky as my table has not suffered with this problem. :)

Mine took a while to present (few months). Might be worthwhile checking. Stitch-in-time and all that. ..

My van (Quasar 544) has the same table and would like to see the mod/repair, but as with Three Star-I also couldn't open the link. Any chance of a couple more pics please?

Yes, will do. I'll post again with the photo. ..

Here's a new post with the original photo of the mod. I don't think more photos are needed - it will become clear if you look under the extendable section towards the front of the caravan.

post-63455-0-37454700-1389467327_thumb.jpg