Access To Marker Light Wiring

CKD

How can I replace the wire going to the top right rear marker light on my 1992 Bessacarr Cameo 470 ? The light was knocked off when I it caught on a tree and the wiring broke about 6'' inside the bodywork.

Probably with difficulty,,, I do not think it is a legal requirement to actually have these lights unless your van is over a certain length (unsure of length).

I am about to remove mine as they get in the way of my Carastore and I am going to replace the lights with reflectors (Orange).

Just an idea but I would rather remove and tape up wires than cutting into internal wallboards to trace wiring

You could try one of those cheap flexible grabbers you can get on ebay etc. This saved me when i removed our high level brake light and the wires fell down inside the rear panel.

You could try one of those cheap flexible grabbers you can get on ebay etc. This saved me when i removed our high level brake light and the wires fell down inside the rear panel.

Never thought about that idea, trouble is if cable has stretched whilst being ripped out, it could have shrunk back some distance into the hidden sandwich of the wall.

Ideally you need a camera probe to try and find out exactly where the wiring has dropped to before you start damaging wallboards to try and get to it. You may be lucky and find its behind a cupboard, in which case a neater repair is possible.

What a difficult job! The problem is the wires may be bare behind the fittings, and lead to

further troubles later. I usually use curtain wire in these situations, which is stiff but pliable.

What layout have you got? Assuming from the age that parts are screwed together, rather

than glued together. Is there anything that you can remove to ease a curtain wire through?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Caravan marker lights are a legal requirement for lengths and widths and f a caravan has them fitted it is going to be they need them.

Amber side markers are now legal requirement on all caravans and trailers over 6M. after 2012

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Personally, I would consider bypassing the wire with a new circuit before I started cutting holes in my 'van.

If you can't repair the wire but can grab it (using the grabber suggested by rusty63 - the one I've used is like a flexible bowden cable with three hooks on the end that open up when a plunger on the handle is pushed), then you could pull another wire through from the PDU.

Whilst it's unlikely, if you did want to avoid a short circuit you could disconnect and tape the PDU end of the cables.

I wonder do those wire detectors you get for walls work on DC cables? Might help you find it.

You need to get to the old cable if you can because it could short out against the body work inside the walls and fuse the car lights as well so it needs disconnecting or taping up .

this might need a bit of panel removal inside to get to the wiring or cutting if it is inside a overhead locker . All the lights are connected inside the light units usually so the top rear marker light should come from the rear light on that side . Can you try and drop a wire from the hole at the top and see if it drops down to see it at the rear light or a electricians cable snake and try poking that through.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

How about running a white twin flex in the unused awning rail or along the side of some trim and glue it on to the van. If you can find the cable that is snapped (under the van probably) you can connect to that after cutting off the part with the break in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably with difficulty,,, I do not think it is a legal requirement to actually have these lights unless your van is over a certain length (unsure of length).

I am about to remove mine as they get in the way of my Carastore and I am going to replace the lights with reflectors (Orange).

Just an idea but I would rather remove and tape up wires than cutting into internal wallboards to trace wiring

I am assuming they are a legal requirement, but would remove them both if they were not. Presently the wire end is in the polystyrene thermal insulation so is inaccessible and no hazard.

I have tried disconnecting the feed end and pulling it out, but the route must be so restricted it doesn't move, so it certainly won't pull towards the light. I still have to fit a new feed somehow.

What a difficult job! The problem is the wires may be bare behind the fittings, and lead to

further troubles later. I usually use curtain wire in these situations, which is stiff but pliable.

What layout have you got? Assuming from the age that parts are screwed together, rather

than glued together. Is there anything that you can remove to ease a curtain wire through?

The inside of the caravan is the bathroom laminate wall and the wire seems to have been put in the polystyrene before the wall board was glued on. Tried a curtain wire but it jams after a couple of feet.

I've also put a vacuum cleaner on 'blow' over the exterior wire hole and looked for where the air comes out, but can't find it !

How about running a white twin flex in the unused awning rail or along the side of some trim and glue it on to the van. If you can find the cable that is snapped (under the van probably) you can connect to that after cutting off the part with the break in it.

Excellent idea ! I don't use that awning rail. A new feed from the rear terminal block is easy, so this is my current favourite solution - when weather improves !

You need to get to the old cable if you can because it could short out against the body work inside the walls and fuse the car lights as well so it needs disconnecting or taping up .

this might need a bit of panel removal inside to get to the wiring or cutting if it is inside a overhead locker . All the lights are connected inside the light units usually so the top rear marker light should come from the rear light on that side . Can you try and drop a wire from the hole at the top and see if it drops down to see it at the rear light or a electricians cable snake and try poking that through.

Dave

Snakes just jamb in the polystyrene, presumably on some bends. No electrical hazard - all in polystyrene. Metal detector can't tell me route, I assume because of outer Al panel.