Shortest Distance Towards Italy

Hi

Has anyone travelled from Calais, toll free to Laon, onwards to Neuchatel and then towards Epinal? This route is about 50 miles shorter than via Luxembourg to get to Mulhouse/Basle, en route to Italy.

It's totally toll free by the looks of things, but has anyone done it?

Google suggests an extra two hours over the motorway via Luxembourg, but I'm not bothered about that as I'm for a long trip, all things being equal.

Any thoughts on the route, or indeed parts or it, or places to stay/worth seeing in the area?

Usually, France is just a obstancle in the way of the Italian sun, but I'm fancying a steady meander, allowing a week to reach the southern Tuscany area.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi Russell

not done it myself, but recommend you check it out on www. viamichelin. co. uk - has always proved accurate for us and you can select different preferences.

No one is more allergic to toll booths than I am. ... but I would always pay for the northern stretch of the A 26 to avoid Bethune and Lens and places like that.

After that the road is clearer - would you not then continue via Reims, Chalons, St Dizier and Bar sur Aube to Chaumont, and then south east on the D417?

PS. But if you want interesting places to see then I'd go Luxembourg, Metz, Nancy, the Vosges, Colmar and Mulhouse - and stop at every one of those places. There's lots to see on that route.

Usually, France is just a obstancle in the way of the Italian sun, but I'm fancying a steady meander, allowing a week to reach the southern Tuscany area.

Russell

An obstacle? How can you possibly think that????

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I don't like France so that's why I see it as an obstacle. It just does not float my boat, but then a few hours later when I am in Italy, my boat takes off at high speed! Back in 2011, we drove from Barcelona to Rome, toll free via Avignon and the French coast, Nice, Monaco etc - both of us said "thank heavens" when we go got to Italy! We hated the south coast of France. I like Paris, Avignon and at a push Metz, but get me through Switzerland and home to Italy asap. (It's not really home, it just seems like it). I will add I have met people who loathe Italy so it's horses for courses, but this horse is not for French courses!

I've done the Metz/Nancy to the death and would like to try to find other interesting things in France. Quaint little sites like the one I was on in September with a wood burner to get hot water for the shower!

However, I was in hospital for a few hours this morning and the Sister was Hungarian. We started talking about holidays as you do in these circumstance, and I'm now thinking of Hungary and Romania instead of Italy.

The Via Michelin route goes pretty much where my AA Map of France seems to draw me to.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Not sure that France is an obstacle Russell. It's still a fine place to visit, but Italy is magical.

We were in Hungary in 1992 touring with our folding camper. Wonder if I would still recognise any of it. Ate some fascinating food at restaurants that were just a table in somebody's front garden. Those were the days when visiting Eastern Europe was a real adventure, as it was only a few years after the fall of communism and capitalism was just taking hold.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Hungary is a fantastic place I visit every year there is so much to see out side of Budapest!

2013 Sprite Major 4FB Excellence (Dealer Special)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder T-Spec