After A Quirky Recommendation For France

Last year we stayed at Camping Filature, near Ebreuil in the Auvergne, a great little site. We liked the laid back style, not too busy. ..No doubt a few on here have been as well. Does anybody know of any other sites in France that has that similar sort of feel?

Audi Allroad 3. 0Tdi - Coachman Kimberley Amara 560/4

Camping Municipal, La Fleche

Camping Fontclair nr Belac

Camping Municipal, Severac-le-Chateau

Camping Les Volcanes, Aydat

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Thanks, will have a look at them all. .

Audi Allroad 3. 0Tdi - Coachman Kimberley Amara 560/4

Hi Wesley, Personally I think you'll find many many sites, outside peak season, which are laid back, personal, and friendly, and also in beautiful scenery as is Ebreuil. I can think of several along the river Tarn, to the North East of Millau, which would fit your bill and even others down on the Mediterranean. If you can go in May or June, or late August/Sepember almost any of the French sites we've stayed on in the last twenty years have been lovely places to stay. Have you any preferences as to area? Do you like the sun? When are you planning to go?

Hope not too many questions for you!

I would agree with Val on this, in low season you don't need to be on a small basic site to enjoy space and quiet, in fact I would think a large sparsely populated site would give you even more space with the bonus of probably better facilities. I would certainly put Les Rivages at Millau in this category.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Me too! We've spent several holidays there - basing ourselves at Millau, messing about in the river, doing many of the marked walks available from reception, and enjoying the Friday markets in Millau. We've also doing sight-seeing in the whole area. The site has level, large, grassy pitches, some with river views, and at certain times of the season the restaurant does an excellent 'Menu du Jour' which is very good value. There are good pools on site, the toilet blocks are fine, and the site is within walking distance of bars and restaurants.

Additionally you can see the Millau viaduct from your pitch, and watch the hang-gliders landing alongside the site! Surreal in the sunset, and I will try and post a picture of a sunset hang-glider with the viaduct behind him!

We stayed at Les Rivages at Millau in early June 2013 and could not believe what a bargain it was as an ACSI €14. Great facilities and a super area with lots to explore and we chose a pitch beside the river and could see the viaduct in the distance. A visit to Roquefort to see the cheese being made as well as drives and walks in the Gorges du Tarn filled our few days and we only left as we had a ferry to make for a rendezvous in London before the further long haul back home. It was the warmest place in our 6 weeks in France including time near the Mediterranean coast.

In late May 2012 we stayed at Camping Castel Rose at Anduze at the southern end of the Cevenne. Another €14 ACSI site on the bank of a river with a heated swimming pool and lots of scenery to walk in and explore. The site, like many ACSI had a large long term Dutch population and there was only one other GB van there. Excellent facilities and within walking distance of town. There is a superb museum of local history and life in nearby St Jean du Gard.

• 1 month later...

Twenty five euros per night is quite expensive though - certainly for us. It's possible to get two nights on many sites for that price.

Strange how differently, we perceive sites. We were at Camping Filature, near Ebreuil in late June last year and thought it was decidedly tired. The "home cooked" evening meals were singularly the only thing that kept us there for the 5 days, lovely area and we spent time seeking alternative sites for a longer return visit.

JTQ

We had similar feelings about the site. Had we not used our own facilities I think we would have left sooner than we did as I thought the toilet facilities were pretty poor. I did not realise that it was English owned until we got there, although its not obviously so. On the plus side the pitches are a decent size and the site is handy for the village and some interesting trips out.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels