How To Get Sealant Off Carpet

Pierre19

Hi all . .....

. ... after getting the van back from the dealers . ....

. ... down on my hand and knees hoovering all the muck they left behind . ....

. ... I've found, what looks like, a small blob of sealant . .... I've tried hot water and soap . ... nope.

Any-one got a clue . ... how to remove it . ...??

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Any idea what type of sealant? . ..........silicone or Mastic . It would make a difference what you use to clean it .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Return it to the dealer and ask them to remove it. ....

If it's bedding mastic use white spirit very sparingly on a cloth, maybe use a scrubbing brush as well. If it's anything else you may have to pick it off when it's dry using a sharp blade and tweezers.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Doesn't it make you mad when you pay good money and just get sloppy work? It's really not on to send it back to you in a worse state than before.

Why can't we expect good service from so many these days? It's not rocket science after all.

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

Return it to the dealer and ask them to remove it. ....

Hi Cms . .... not really an option . ....

. ... see my posting under Overland Caravans in the Social Club . ....

But thanks for the suggestions . ....

Dave . .... not sure what it is . ... I wasn't there . ....

Cheerws

Pete

Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Try a small patch test in an inconspicuous area using nail varnish remover to see if is okay on your carpet. I have found this successful with silicone sealant so it may work on your carpet.

Hi Pete,

When I had the laborious task of washing our youngest son's working clothes, I was forever trying to get mastic/sealant off! I resorted to scraping with a flat edged knife, before I gave up completely! Sometimes it was easier after they came out of the wash, so softening the stuff may help.

Good Luck

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Hi Pete,

so softening the stuff may help.

Good Luck

Glen.

Hi Glen . .... are you suggesting . ... try a hairdryer . .... and then pick it out . ...??

Cheers

Pete

Hi Glen . .... are you suggesting . ... try a hairdryer . .... and then pick it out . ...??

Cheers

Pete

No, I think it's better dealt with when it's wet, not sure what effect a hair dryer would have, but end result is the same - scrape away as much as you can. If it's only on the surface you may get away with snipping a bit of the pile away - I'm assuming it's on the carpet?

Glen.

Edit - of course it's on the carpet, it's in your title - silly me!

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Glen . ... don't be too hard on your-self . .....

It's fortunately not in a highly visable place . .....

. ... it's by my side of the fixed bed . ....

I'll try a few things in the day-light . ... tomorrow . ...

Cheers, y'all . ....

Pete

Is the carpet removable?

I'm not sure if it will work on sealant but my good lady managed to remove chewing gum from ours by putting it in the freezer overnight, it came off in one lump.

I know some may disagree with this but I have used cellulose thinners for years to clean off stains in carpets, door trims and many other items even leather trim.

To be sure try out a test patch first using a damp cloth with some thinners added to it.

Many years ago my son ran into the house tipping over an almost full tin of white gloss paint onto our brown hall carpet.

I scooped the paint up and washed the rest out using thinners. Half an hour late apart from the smell you would not have known what a mess there was.

BTW my son is 40 on Sunday so he did survive LOL

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Hi just a word of warning about cleaning carpets, the ones supplied are tufted carpets which means they are set into a layer of latex which holds in the pile and the backing together. Over use of water, thinners etc will break up the latex, in turn the pile will fall out and the backing become delaminated. I get called to so many houses who have ridges in the carpets after being cleaned.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

Would sticky stuff remover work :mellow:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Would sticky stuff remover work :mellow:

Hi Paul . ... what is sticky stuff remover . ...???

Cheers

Pete

If the offending "sealant" is a polyurethane based product like much of the Sika-Flex range and by now has absorbed the moisture to have "set" then in my experience it is too late to dissolve away, leaving only mechanical removal as an option. Unless you can live with some marking then looking for compensation for negligence from the dealer would in that circumstance seem the only route.

Unless you can live with some marking then looking for compensation for negligence from the dealer would in that circumstance seem the only route.

JTQ . ... I refer you to the posting in Overland Caravans in the Social Club . ... and you would see that is not a option . ...

The sticky stuff, what ever it is, has not "set" . ....

Cheers

Pete

I know some may disagree with this but I have used cellulose thinners for years to clean off stains in carpets, door trims and many other items even leather trim.

To be sure try out a test patch first using a damp cloth with some thinners added to it.

Many years ago my son ran into the house tipping over an almost full tin of white gloss paint onto our brown hall carpet.

I scooped the paint up and washed the rest out using thinners. Half an hour late apart from the smell you would not have known what a mess there was.

BTW my son is 40 on Sunday so he did survive LOL

​DONT BREATH THE FUMES--- celli contains lots of nastie's ! ( toluene etc )

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!