Scotland In September?

As the title says! We are considering our first ever visit to this beautiful country very early September this year and was hoping that someone could tell us what the weather and/or midge situation is like then please?

Also, any suggestions for sites. We are very used to CL's and are not great lovers of over commercial sites but we wouldn't mind a bit of life! We are thinking of about 10 days - maybe two centre?

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin . .. Scotland is quite abig country . .... give us some idea as to what, where and things you like to do . ...

Weather and midge wise . .. September and May are about the best times of the year . ...

Please fill in the dots . ... and info will be forth coming . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

It really depends on the area you are going to, I go to the Borders & fish the Tweed in September, you sometimes get clouds of midges on a evening along the river but we've never been bit,

I get bit when we visit inlaws in Dunoon :( & I get the occasional bite to at home in the allotment

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

The amount of midge activity depends very much on weather conditions. Traditionally September is usually a period of quite calm, mild weather in Scotland, but after the past few years I doubt if anyone could predict what the weather will be like nine months ahead. Scottish schools re-open after the summer holidays around the middle of August so most of the sites tend to be fairly quiet in early September although some do fill up again once the mid-season rates come into play.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

I thought early September is bad for midges? I can only say from areas I have stayed in at that time and been bad.

I would recommend looking at the internet for products to protect yourself. There is a skin care product by one of the leading cosmetic company that is used and recommended by the guys in the forces that we use.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The areas that we have met most midges have been Killin and Loch Lomond. ......BUT like France, it depends on what the weather has been 2 months beforehand as to when they actually emerge. .......Great country, don't not go with a fear of midges. ......

The further North the less likely, also they don't appear to like the coast in our experience, unlike their continental cousins.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Been twice in September for 3-4 weeks each time. The one and only encounter with midges was on a very wet walk from the CC Morvich site and then only when we sat down to have our butties. As Highlandman says, sites are generally quiet at that time of year, the significant exceptions being CC Onich (always very busy) and CC Maragowan (busy at weekends due to proximity to main cities).

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Thank you all for your really prompt replies!

in terms of where we will go - that is an open book really but I quite fancy the highlands for the scenery and lovely dog walks so may end up at the popular tourist resorts (being a new 'scotty'!). We will probably want to stop near to Edinburgh on the way up or back but I could do with any suggestions you can give - Scenery is probably the overriding reason though!

Ta

martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Martin . .... are you members of a particular club . ... C & C. C. or C. C. .....

. ... that'll help . ... too.

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Martin,

We have spent the august bank holiday week in Scotland for the last few years on CC sites at Killin, Edinburgh, Huntly, Grantown on Spey, Culloden & Brora, but by far our favourites have been Brora, Morvich & Kinlochewe on the west coast. Never had any issues with midges. If it's scenery your after head for Morvich, getting there via the A82 takes you all the way past Loch Lomond ( tight in places but perfectly ok ), through the great glen, over Rannoch moor & down to Glen Coe, then on past Fort William & the Nevis range before joining the A87 at Invergarry to reach Shiel Bridge & the famous five sister mountain range. The site setting is magnificent at the head of the glen & you are in easy distance of Skye for day trips ( go via the bridge & return via Kylerhea ferry ).

I'm looking forward to it already :P

Martin,

Oops, Brora is on the east coast, I meant to type Bunree !

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Thanks lesbunny et al, that is just the sort of info I need! I am members of both clubs so this will open up some opportunities with regards to rallies/THS's etc. too.

Keep the suggestions coming please!

martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Martin,

We have spent the august bank holiday week in Scotland for the last few years on CC sites at Killin, Edinburgh, Huntly, Grantown on Spey, Culloden & Brora, but by far our favourites have been Brora, Morvich & Kinlochewe on the west coast. Never had any issues with midges. If it's scenery your after head for Morvich, getting there via the A82 takes you all the way past Loch Lomond ( tight in places but perfectly ok ), through the great glen, over Rannoch moor & down to Glen Coe, then on past Fort William & the Nevis range before joining the A87 at Invergarry to reach Shiel Bridge & the famous five sister mountain range. The site setting is magnificent at the head of the glen & you are in easy distance of Skye for day trips ( go via the bridge & return via Kylerhea ferry ).

Martin,

Brora is nice too! :goodpost:

Don't forget the lovely South West of Scotland - generally warmer and drier than many other parts of Scotland and generally less bothered by midges. New England Bay is one of our favourites - quite a big site but quiet

My all time favourite Invercoe Nr Glencoe Village . .. Sure I posted a review under UK Sites. Fantastic Base on a well run spotless family run site . ... September being a good month as the summer Season is coming to a end. .. Plus they have strategically placed Carbon monoxide bins which the wee midgie loves reducing the sabre toothed menace by the millions. .. To be onest the mighty midge was not a concern when I was there tail end of last September. .. You could Base yourself just outside Stirling and take a day trip to Edinburgh at Witches Craig another smashing wee site. ... Pictures of Invercoe below,,,,,,,,,,, Was a bit dreach but Peaceful. .....

GAS . ... :angry:

post-30743-0-26425100-1389200241_thumb.jpg

post-30743-0-61141400-1389200307_thumb.jpg

post-30743-0-44215400-1389200385_thumb.jpg

post-30743-0-63720600-1389200426_thumb.jpg

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Martin,

If you want to visit Edinburgh there is a great atmosphere when the Festival is on. It usually runs into September but this year the Royal Military Tattoo runs on 1 - 23 August and the Edinburgh International Festival is on 8 - 31 August. I appreciate that might be a bit early for you but if you can come during August you might enjoy yourself - if that is your kind of thing of course.

http://www. thescc. co. uk/2014-rallies-events/

This is the page from the Scottish Caravan Club 2014 Rallies Section. ........click on the PDF and you will get a whole page grid of all their Rallies in Scotland ( and without as they say. ..)

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As usual I will recommend the east coast.

Not a midge issue, tends to be a bit quieter and the scenery while different can be just as stunning!

Recommendations:

Silverbank CC site at Banchory

Queen Elizabeth CC site at Stonehaven

Lochside CC site at Forfar

Balbirnie Park CC site at Markinch *

Edinburgh CC Site *

Yellowcraigs CC site at North Berwick *

Lauder C&CC site just north of Lauder *

Dunbar C&CC site *

Sites with * are easy access for Edinburgh too!

South west gets the thumbs up from us too particularly Craigie Gardens CC site at Ayr

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

If it's scenery your after head for Morvich, getting there via the A82 takes you all the way past Loch Lomond ( tight in places but perfectly ok ), through the great glen, over Rannoch moor & down to Glen Coe, then on past Fort William & the Nevis range before joining the A87 at Invergarry to reach Shiel Bridge & the famous five sister mountain range. The site setting is magnificent at the head of the glen & you are in easy distance of Skye for day trips ( go via the bridge & return via Kylerhea ferry ).

Martin,

We are heading for Scotland in May for six or seven weeks. One of the sites not mentioned in this thread but highly recommended to me by friends is the CC site North Ledaig near Oban.

I am interested in the good report of Morvich as I have been wondering whether to stay there and just take day trip to Skye or actually stay on the C and CC site at Portree. Any thoughts of anyone would be welcome.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

The CC Oban site is affiliated and IMO the facils are nowhere near as good as a club owned site, moreover the ehu output is only 10 amps and the best pitches are a fair walk from the toilet block. Morvich is in a stunning location and an easy drive to Skye. Not used the C+CC Skye site (quite a way from Portree, but it gets good reports. Very exposed location!

I'd definitely recommend the CC site at Morvich. Great scenery, great walks, easy access to Skye, great restaurants and / or bar meals in Plockton amongst other places, seafood to die for. Morvich is one of my favourite sites and I go there nearly every year.

post-54747-0-03969700-1389213602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Highlandman

Have to agree with Malh . ... North Ledaig is too big and felt cramped in to me. .. Shore side pitch is a must if you go plus had dealings with a Warden lacking Customer Service . ... Although I have never stayed at Morvich breath-taking scenic area. . Stayed at the Plokton Hotel used to have a wee 5 Van CL type set up at the side. Filmed Hamish Macbeth Bar scenes on the premises To be honest once you pass Calendar on the road up yi cannie go wrong for scenery . ............

GAS . .... :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

We spent 5 weeks there last summer - wonderful! I've been to the Andes & the Himalayas, & Scotland's highlands are just as beautiful with the added bonus of castles round each new turn of the road!

The midges were around, varied from place to place, but mostly with a bit of careful planning around dusk time, & care not to leave doors open, plus a bit of pre-bedtime squishing, they were manageable! They do get in around fly screens though.

We also much prefer to stay on CLs, which aren't as common in Scotland & they are often quite small compared to those in England & Wales - we stayed on club sites mostly in Scotland & I can heartily recommend Bunree CC Site near Fort William - views are stunning across the estuary & we found the mountains most spectacular all around this area.

In the Cairngorms area, we spotted a lovely CL next to a pub, but with stunning views & really wished we'd stayed there instead - if you're heading that way let me know & I'll look it up as it's got to be one of the best CLs in Scotland (we did recces at a lot of them!)

The weather wasn't great & wasn't bad either - we worked around it. We left in early Sept but weather was better in the earlier half of the summer.

All in all, had a great time & will surely head back & explore further some time. Good luck!

Mitsubishi Pajero ('Reggie') + Abbey GTS 418

When we go to the inlaws in dunoon we use adidas ice dive deodorant & shower gel also avon skin so soft dry oil spray as they contain citronella ;)

We tend to stay near the coast on days out as there aren't as many midges or ticks

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Like a few of the replays above the Morvich site is fantastic. Outstanding scenery, great for walking. I'd recommend staying at Morvich and doing day trips to Skye rather than staying on Skye. Another great site is the fabulous site at Resipole on the Ardnamurchan peninsula getting there using the short ferry crossing at Onich. The midge issue has been done to death on here and is an irrelevance.

Anton

Anton