Awning Guy Ropes

Wirral Tourer

Nearly had a bad experience last week at Beechwood Grange CC site in York where I just managed to rescue the awning before it launched.

Despite being well pegged and having a storm strap, the problem arose with the extendable (steel) poles having so much force exerted onto them by the wind that they started to retract. Thumb tightening the screw adjusters did not seem enough to hold the poles at the required length and it needed an extra turn using using a peg.

As an extra precaution I bought some guy rope and runners and fixed to the 2 low points on each panel. However, with the constant movement of the awning by the wind this would work the guy runners loose.

Has anyone got a suggestion for fixing guy ropes without using runners but still having flexibility on the length of the guy - or can they suggest a good type of runner which doesn't come loose ?

I use the same runners as on tents and they seem to hold OK. However, I attach them to the top of the uprights so that they pulling the horizontal poles away from the van, thereby negating some of the effects of the wind.

However, I did find that I too had to use something to tighten the screws when using metal poles.

Roger

We were on the same site as you but decided not to bother putting our awning up due to the strong wind when we arrived last Thursday. A few people seamed to be having problems with the theirs so i took the stress free option of leaving ours in the car.

Archived