Swift Or Bailey?

greatgable09

Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to ask for comments/opinions about purchasing either a new 2014 Swift Sport 554 or Bailey Verona.

Both have blown air heating systems the Swift with Truma and the Bailey with the Whale system.

I quite like the Bailey because of the extra living space inside the van, due to no front locker and i like the outside build quality of the swift.

What do you think???

Don't listen to 'Brand Warriors' Spend as much time in the vans as possible. If at all possible get a van up and running or visit one that is actually in use so you can experience things like heating, water pressure etc.

Give them scores for each thing you like and dislike then buy the one you love the most. A few £s either way will be long forgotten down the line.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I think you will struggle to get an unbiased answer here as people will say to buy what they have as its the best, I have a swift and am very happy with it, I think swift make a good van and have thousands of happy customers. Personally I think the new crop of baileys are ugly but also are popular.

If I don't buy another swift, it might be a coachman.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Don't listen to 'Brand Warriors' Spend as much time in the vans as possible. If at all possible get a van up and running or visit one that is actually in use so you can experience things like heating, water pressure etc.

Give them scores for each thing you like and dislike then buy the one you love the most. A few £s either way will be long forgotten down the line.

Quite right, I should have said the same, get the layout you want, what brand it may be could be immaterial, I wanted an end washroom and a fixed bed, my swift has it, but so do many other brands.

The NEC show is coming up soon, as is the Manchester show, you will see lots of vans there, it may be helpful, it may not.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Buy the one you like, not the one others advise you to. As said, spend as much time in the van as you can and try everything out to see what works for you.

All vans will have some compromises, some you can live with and others you can't.

There's not a lot to choose between Bailey & Swift - despite what is said on the forums. Some people have made an art out of complaining and whinging. That's not to say that they don't have problems but a decent dealer should be able to sort them out.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Thank you for replies and opinions what are your fews between the blown air heating systems. I have heard that the whale heaters can be very noisy?

Ask the dealer to run up the system for you so that you can hear what it sounds like. We have no experience of the Whale system but did have reservations about the Truma system before we purchased our van. Once we had experienced it in operation we realised the doubts were unfounded.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Hi

Have you also considered a dealer special 554.

You get a lot of extras with them for not much more money.

Ian

Check out the Swift and Bailey vans on here and look at who gives the best service should you need it, and then make your mind up.

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Find a dealer who stocks both and spend time in each. Don't mean 5 mins wondering around it, I mean a good half hour in each. Try everything, putting beds down etc etc. do it in both and you will get an impression of what it means to actually be in either.

We did it will our current van, and the salesman just left us to it. It worked, as he got a sale.

Don't worry about a single thing such as the heater, as there will be other things that may need to be compromised on the other van.

Either way, enjoy it, you can't beat the new van feeling. And welcome by the way!

It's probably as important to choose a good dealer. Many of the moans on here are due to the dealer rather than the manufacturer.

With either brand things may go wrong. A good dealer will sort them with the minimum of aggro.

Bailey also allow some non dealer workshops to carry out warranty work. Not sure about swift.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I've had a Swift, then a Bailey, then another Swift (Abbey) and next month I'm due to pick up a new Bailey Unicorn. So far one I had major damp issues with. Another had a small water ingress problem that was dealt with at the first service, a major problem with the tyres and a few small niggles with the water heater, fridge and lighting. The other was totally fault free. I'll not tell which had which problems because that is my personal experience and I'm sure other's will have different experiences and views, albeit good, bad and totally biased that won't necessarily help you.

The decision each time was based upon what I personally preferred, in terms of layout and was comfortable with in terms of fabrics and colours. Not the opinions of other's. The feeling within the van, to me, is the most important factor. I am more concerned with the look and comfort inside. I will spend more time sitting and looking at the inside than I will looking at the outside ( not helped by the Unicorn being one of the ugliest van's I've seen and which looks like the decals and colours were chosen by a 7 year old ;) )

The chassis, appliances and fittings are, more or less, the same for all manufacturer's and, therefor, in my opinion don't enter the equation, so I would advise, as others have suggested. Spend a bit of time inside each. Get a feeling for each and try and imagine how you would live in and use the van. Decide what's important to you in respect of comfort and colours, position and accessibility of appliances, storage, fixtures and circulation space.

There isn't such a thing as the perfect caravan. Only so much can be squeezed into a rectangular box, so you will have to compromise and only you can decide on what.

Edited by Jimd

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

Excellent post Jimd.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

As you can imagine we get this often, its impossible to sway a customer towards either van, all we can do is talk them through the differences in spec, then let them decided, as always with these things, it all comes down to personal preference and taste.

I've had a Swift, then a Bailey, then another Swift (Abbey) and next month I'm due to pick up a new Bailey Unicorn. So far one I had major damp issues with. Another had a small water ingress problem that was dealt with at the first service, a major problem with the tyres and a few small niggles with the water heater, fridge and lighting. The other was totally fault free. I'll not tell which had which problems because that is my personal experience and I'm sure other's will have different experiences and views, albeit good, bad and totally biased that won't necessarily help you.

The decision each time was based upon what I personally preferred, in terms of layout and was comfortable with in terms of fabrics and colours. Not the opinions of other's. The feeling within the van, to me, is the most important factor. I am more concerned with the look and comfort inside. I will spend more time sitting and looking at the inside than I will looking at the outside ( not helped by the Unicorn being one of the ugliest van's I've seen and which looks like the decals and colours were chosen by a 7 year old ;) )

The chassis, appliances and fittings are, more or less, the same for all manufacturer's and, therefor, in my opinion don't enter the equation, so I would advise, as others have suggested. Spend a bit of time inside each. Get a feeling for each and try and imagine how you would live in and use the van. Decide what's important to you in respect of comfort and colours, position and accessibility of appliances, storage, fixtures and circulation space.

There isn't such a thing as the perfect caravan. Only so much can be squeezed into a rectangular box, so you will have to compromise and only you can decide on what.

Excellent post.

Speaking as a cabinet maker I can tell that their is little difference between the furniture materials used between the makes. It is more down to styling you like.

I generally consider that Bailey are better in the way they design and the materials used in the actual construction but there is not much in it. (Mainly the metal extrusion that Bailey bolt the locker hinges too is much stronger, and they appear to be thought about structure a bit more, i. e. less little bit screwed/stapled to other little bits.)

The one point in all the recent vans I have looked at that Bailey do much better than Swift is the strength and design used for the drawers. I haven't seen that latest Swifts yet, but up to last year the Bailey drawer design is streets ahead for overall strength. (in the Pegasus and Unicorn anyway)

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

We used to have a Ace Award but changed last year to Bailey Verona 2011 and have to say we are very happy with ours however whilst on holiday last year we met a family who had had a new Bailey Verona GT65 after their new Verona Peg 2 had to be returned numerous times due to damp issues in the end Bailey replaced their van with the new GT65 Verna. We figured that by buying a van a couple of years old any issues would of been sorted. I hae to say that our caravan was like new even thoug it was 2011 there was still polythene on the carpets. I love the fixed bed and I am really happy with the caravan and find going away in it a pelasure, just wish we could use it more. Good luck and Im sure you will get the caravan that suits you best. Either one is good and as long as they meet your needs Happy Caravanning

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

It would be difficult for me to advise which van you should purchase as it is mostly down to personal preference and what the van will be used for. The last Swift I had was fine and hhad no real faults in the 3 years I owned it, apart from a noisey onboard water pump, which I replaced for an external one. The Swift before that had to have the whole floor replaced at 12 months old, then the floor repaired again 12 months later and again 12 months after that. We gave up at that point and part ex'ed the van. The Bailey we own now was bought when it was 12 months old and has so far only suffered minor problems some of which I think was abuse by the previous owner. The Whale blown air heater was a little noisey when we got the van but a mod by Whale has improved this a lot. The previous van had a gas fire installed that could be used without blown air so was silent at night and I suppose we got used to the silence but my wife is very sensitive to noise so blown air heating is never going to be ideal if we use the van in winter and want a bit of heat at night. This is why it is important to fully check every aspect of the van before parting with your cash. I didn't have much option as the Orion 430/4 is the only van with a fixed bed and end washroom that would fit on our drive. It appears you have more options.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

I like the Swift

and I like the Bailey

but which is best - only one way to find out FIGHT

Sorry, but someone had to do it. ..

Guest Benzowner

Ignore the badges on the van, buy the one you like most and best suits you. If it's a Bailey, fine, if it's a Swift also fine, it could also be one of the other manufacturers as well. Don't be clouded by brand names.

I tried both the Baileys /Swift & quite a few others out before making the final choice. Believe me the caravan dealers had to make sure all of their vans were open & I went religouslyfrom one to the other noting down the likes & dislikes. Then after reducing it down to 2- I got the O/H in to help with the final say. It all come down to personal choice. Nearly all the vans these days are very cosy & comfortable - We at the time had to also take into account the MTPLM too as this had to be included in the choice . I can only say Swift beat Bailey in our choice but as I have said it is a personal final choice- whatever is more suited to you

We have had baileys,avondale and now on swift (abbey).Totally agree that its how a van feels,not what the badge says. IF you go in a van and it feels right thats the one for you. As has been said spend time looking at storage,how the layout works. When we changed to our abbey(previous van was a bailey senator) i was a little concerned by the wood work. Cupboads felt a little flimsy,but the overall factor was,the length to fit on the drive and the wieght. When we decided to change it was me who took our px van up to somerset and me who had to ok the deal,so as you can imagine i was slighlty concerened when we did the change over hubby would approve of my choice. Glad to say he did and we have already enjoyed 3 trips in our new van.

The one point in all the recent vans I have looked at that Bailey do much better than Swift is the strength and design used for the drawers. I haven't seen that latest Swifts yet, but up to last year the Bailey drawer design is streets ahead for overall strength. (in the Pegasus and Unicorn anyway)

Do they now have solid bottoms and enough strength to be stood on like Adrias have had across the range for over 5 years.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Never had a need to stand on a drawer bottom, still, each to their own :unsure:

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

i have never stood on ours either, BUT it just proves that once again its NOT bailey that have come up with new ideas. just like burger vans having a similar construction to alutech for years yet it was the best new innovation to have happened.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.