Round In Circles

Jayntaf

I have a peugot 207 and it's frustrating cus I'm not sure what I can pull I haven't yet brought a caravan but I do intend to get one, but it's just knowing which one.

I can't afford anything bigger in car size, my car is only a 1. 4.

Would I be able to pull a lightweight caravan without any fuss?

Please help as I'm going round in circles.

What is

1) The declared kerbweight of the car?

2) The max tow limit for the car? Should be in the manual

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You don't say if it is petrol or diesel, but a quick google came up with this.

http://www. uktow. com/towing%20capacity. asp?make=Peugeot&model1=207%201. 4%20XR%20HDi

Don't take it as gospel, you realy need to look at your V5 to get the mass in service weight ( G )

before your towing weight can be calculated. ..

My V5 details for Mass in service are inaccurate, so the V5 details aren't gospel either.

To post any recommendations readers need to know the cars Kerb weight, power and torque.
And the MTPLM of any caravan you are considering.

Experience towing, and type of driving license could also be factors.

Along with the cars max tow limit as previously mentioned.

Edited by xtrailman

the honest answer is - not much. Your licence should be ok as with your car being quite light you won't be approaching limits where you need a towing test. You don't say how many berth van you need. If your a lone camper or theres only 2 or more of you, you'd certainly be able to pull one of these:

http://teardroptrailers. co. uk/

As for anything bigger, well with your tow car you might well be better off looking at these:

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/1022796/trailer-tents-folders-and-pop-tops-mo. pdf

You could try an eriba as they are about as light weight a van as is around & according to the caravan club matching service - i've put in details for a mid range 207 just as example - some come up as a match for a 207.

If you give us a few more details, as the others said - exact car model & year. 3 or 5 door & about how much your looking spending then we can have a look.

Hope this helps :)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

My neighbours have a folding caravan, whilst it's not my choice theyre happy with it, I have to say for a small car it's brilliant and it can be stored at home in a garage. It has all of the usual creature comforts just on a smaller scale.

RT

What about something like a Lunar Venus 380, a 2 berth at 950kg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I am interested also in this, What can be towed without having to take the B plus E test? Woodie, you mention car weight also in regards to towing weight and licence. I assume it is combined weight? rather than just caravan weight? My car is a hefty beastie, a 2. 9 Kia Sedona diesel. 03 model.

I think my Guardian Angel Drinks.

I am interested also in this, What can be towed without having to take the B plus E test? Woodie, you mention car weight also in regards to towing weight and licence. I assume it is combined weight? rather than just caravan weight? My car is a hefty beastie, a 2. 9 Kia Sedona diesel. 03 model.

On top of the general towing laws there is one extra rule for B licence towing of a trailer over 750 kgs MAM/MTPLM which is . ..

The GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM or MTPLM of the trailer / caravan must not total more than 3500 kgs

That refers to plated weights not actual weights

GVW MAM MTPLM all have the same meaning for licence purposes = the maximum legal weight when fully loaded

I've just looked at this site http://www. helpfindmea. co. uk/cars/specs/kia-sedona-specifications-434/sedona-diesel-estate-03-06-29-crdi-le-5dr-specifications-26544. aspx & it says the Kia gross weight is 2738kg

I don't know if its the same as yours,

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I've just looked at this site http://www. helpfindmea. co. uk/cars/specs/kia-sedona-specifications-434/sedona-diesel-estate-03-06-29-crdi-le-5dr-specifications-26544. aspx & it says the Kia gross weight is 2738kg

I don't know if its the same as yours,

Sounds about right.

Lots of info there about my car!!

Edited by Georgiegal

I have a peugot 207 and it's frustrating cus I'm not sure what I can pull I haven't yet brought a caravan but I do intend to get one, but it's just knowing which one.

I can't afford anything bigger in car size, my car is only a 1. 4.

Would I be able to pull a lightweight caravan without any fuss?

Please help as I'm going round in circles.

http://carleasingmadesimple. com/business-car-leasing/peugeot/207/gross-vehicle-weight/

Max towing weight is between 1040 and 1070 depending on model

All are well under the unladen weight of the car

Look for a caravan with a MTPLM of around 1000

That will be ok for towing on a B licence

OOPS - that is for the 1. 6 and not the 1. 4 !

Seems the 1. 4 has a towing limit of 960 kgs

Edited by R0G

Just looking on my V5, no figures re towing, some different figures from whats on the link.

according to handbook:

GVWR: 2738 (2843) KG.

CURB WEIGHT: 2145-2213

MAXIMUM TRAILER WEIGHT: WITHOUT BRAKING SYSTEM - 570KG.

WITH BRAKING SYSTEM - 2000KG

MAX STATIC VERTICAL LOAD ON COUPLING DEVICE - 80KG.

Hmm. .. trailer tongue? whats that? says in handbook, the trailer tongue should weigh a max of 10% of the total loaded trailer weight.

Just looking on my V5, no figures re towing, some different figures from whats on the link.

according to handbook:

GVWR: 2738 (2843) KG.

CURB WEIGHT: 2145-2213

MAXIMUM TRAILER WEIGHT: WITHOUT BRAKING SYSTEM - 570KG.

WITH BRAKING SYSTEM - 2000KG

MAX STATIC VERTICAL LOAD ON COUPLING DEVICE - 80KG.

Hmm. .. trailer tongue? whats that? says in handbook, the trailer tongue should weigh a max of 10% of the total loaded trailer weight.

So you can tow most vans with your car, its just your licence you need to check. Depends on when you passed your test. If pre 1997, then you're ok. If after '97 - i think i'm right in saying you'll need to add your car & van weight together to see if they weigh over 3500kgs. If not you're ok, if they do, you'll need to take a test to tow. To be honest, its worth doing a skills to tow course anyway.

Trailer tounge, not heard that before. Nose weight possibly? though thats your max vertical load on coupling device. Could be the total A frame weight?

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

So you can tow most vans with your car, its just your licence you need to check. Depends on when you passed your test. If pre 1997, then you're ok. If after '97 - i think i'm right in saying you'll need to add your car & van weight together to see if they weigh over 3500kgs. If not you're ok, if they do, you'll need to take a test to tow. To be honest, its worth doing a skills to tow course anyway.

Trailer tounge, not heard that before. Nose weight possibly? though thats your max vertical load on coupling device. Could be the total A frame weight?

The easiest way to work it out is to have a look at this website & see what codes you have on your licence.

https://www. gov. uk/old-driving-licence-categories.

Have a look at your date on the front of your licence, from when it was last changed ( 4a ) it will help you to work it out as the codes have changed over the years, while you are having a look at it take note of ( 4b ) that is when you will need to have it renewed.

Trailer Tounge is just another way of describing nose weight . ...

http://auto. howstuffworks. com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/tongue-weight. htm

So you can tow most vans with your car, its just your licence you need to check. Depends on when you passed your test. If pre 1997, then you're ok. If after '97 - i think i'm right in saying you'll need to add your car & van weight together to see if they weigh over 3500kgs. If not you're ok, if they do, you'll need to take a test to tow.

Almost got it - its vehicle GVW added to trailer MAM weight which must not add up to more than 3500

The way you wrote it seems like you were referring to actual weight