Advice

ryesway

hi im new to caravaning and im going to look at a van in a weeks time its a private sale ive rang the owner who sounds a genuine person theres every thing with this van including a CRiS reg what i want to know will this CRiS reg tell me if theres finance or stolen and recovered etc etc or do i have to do my own checks and CRiS reg myself, the van in question is a 2011 year any help would be good thanks rye

The CRiS reg will tell you if he's the owner but it won't tell you if it's been paid for.

You will need to ask to see the receipts for payment. Ive got mine from 2006 so he should have his. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Provided that the CRiS document is registered to the seller then yes you can get a check for the van being reported as stolen, been previously written off by an insurance company, and for outstanding finance (provided the finance was arranged via a CRiS approved lender such as Black Horse etc.)

The check costs £14. 95 - more details here http://www. CRiS. co. uk

Carry out the same checks as you would when purchasing a new car, and read up as much of the bad stuff you can about the van your looking to purchase to check that a. it has had it and been repaired b. it hasn't got it, or c. that it has it and it hasn't been repaired yet. Some problems can be a very easy DIY fix, but also make an excellent bargaining point for reducing the price.

Edited by BadBoy

Traffic lights in London are for guidance only

hi im new to caravaning and im going to look at a van in a weeks time its a private sale ive rang the owner who sounds a genuine person theres every thing with this van including a CRiS reg what i want to know will this CRiS reg tell me if theres finance or stolen and recovered etc etc or do i have to do my own checks and CRiS reg myself, the van in question is a 2011 year any help would be good thanks rye

The caravan being so New(ish) there is a chance that it might be on some form of finance etc!

If you go and have a look at it and meet the owners and see how they live it is normally a good indication to how its been used but there are no guarantees!

My advice would be to make an offer on it and contact CRiS, if they are genuine they might even photo copy the CRiS Document for you. Then you can say that you will purchase it subject to all checks being satisfactory.

It is always risky purchasing privately with no warranty etc, our caravan came from a dealer and on its first service it was found to have damp in the front panel and mine is also a 2011 model.

Another thing to check is the service book to see if it has been stamped and when was its last service. You could contact the caravan dealer assuming it was serviced by one and speak to the service manager to see if there is any information he or she could give you especially if they know the caravan.

Most caravans will still be under warranty if its only coming up to 3 years old.

If they are genuine then they will have no problem with you doing all of the above.

Regards

Mark.

Hi, I think the best advice is " buyer beware " , the CRiS document is like the log book of a car, so it states who owns the van, and his address, so make sure they are correct. Also it will have the VIN number on the document, check this against the van that it matches with the one on the van ID plate, usually found near the door.

Private sales offer no protection, if you are not sure, take along someone who already has a van or has some knowledge of what to look out for, i. e. damp! etc.

Ask about service history and repair bills etc. , this will give you some history and also an address check.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Graham

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The caravan being so New(ish) there is a chance that it might be on some form of finance etc!

If you go and have a look at it and meet the owners and see how they live it is normally a good indication to how its been used but there are no guarantees!

My advice would be to make an offer on it and contact CRiS, if they are genuine they might even photo copy the CRiS Document for you. Then you can say that you will purchase it subject to all checks being satisfactory.

It is always risky purchasing privately with no warranty etc, our caravan came from a dealer and on its first service it was found to have damp in the front panel and mine is also a 2011 model.

Another thing to check is the service book to see if it has been stamped and when was its last service. You could contact the caravan dealer assuming it was serviced by one and speak to the service manager to see if there is any information he or she could give you especially if they know the caravan.

Most caravans will still be under warranty if its only coming up to 3 years old.

If they are genuine then they will have no problem with you doing all of the above.

Regards

Mark. thanks for that pal, regarding service the owner said its all up to date so i will look through the book thanks again

thanks for all the advice i will keep you all posted . rye

Maybe take a friend/neighbour who has some knowledge of caravans, with you.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion