10Ft - 12Ft Rigid Dinghy

Derekf

Hi

Can anyone recommend a 10ft or 12ft rigid dinghy that can be transport on the roof of my car.

Roof loading capacity is 100kg but I would prefer something lighter.

I want to be able to row the dingy or use a 5hp outboard engine (which I have already).

Also when driving with a dingy on the roof will it cause excessive wind noise?

Thanks

Derek

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

Thanks for the links.

Just wish I had the time to attempt a self build.

I very nearly bought the Nestaway, it is beautifully constructed,

and easy to transport. I seem to remember it was around £1k

A Mirror, designed to go on the roof of a car. I don't know if they are still made, but there were at least 100 000 of them, and they can be bought secondhand for peanuts.

From my experience of having boats all my life your biggest problem is getting a boat on the roof . A 10-12ft boat being lifted to above your head and to head height is not easy unless you have a couple of Russian weight lifters to hand . I would not recommend a 10ft boat for off shore and 5hp engine again currents and wind .

An inflatable is lighter and easier to lift and can be stowed if needed for the winter or not used in the shed/garage.

I use a 10ft inflatable with a rigid floor and 6hp on inland waterways which I just take the flooring out and roll up in the boot to transport with the caravan.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Dave, our first boat was a Mirror, in about 1967. We went to, I believe, Peterborough to pick it up, at the factory. My father bought the roofrack- two poles- from them, as well. I asked how it went on. The gentleman showed me how it was done.

That is to say, he explained how I should do it. I was 11, and averagely average. Nót a Russian weightlifter. Í managed it. .....and subsequently.

And nó, I would not take the thing offshore!

Tim

A Mirror dinghy still weighs 50kg which is okay if your young enough to lift it above shoulder height onto a roof but I have lifted dinghys 40 yrs ago onto roofs but it is something to consider if you are on your own . My inflatable has wheels fixed to the transom to take the engine and stern weight but moving it is any distance can be a marathon carrying the front .

Something else to consider is when a engine is laid down a small amount of fuel is left in the carb usually and it will stink the car out with fumes if in the boot area . I put my engine and fuel tank in sealed black plastic sacks to help reduce the fumes in my car .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks for all your input.

I currently have a Honwave inflatable, I am just thinking about a change to a rigid dinghy.