Abbey Spectrum 535 Truma Ultrastore

linda h

Hi,

Me and the old man have the above caravan,and have had a load of problems with the water heater.

After a disastrous first few weekends away in it ( it's permanently sited + free electric!),we're still not sure of the operation of the Trauma Ultra store water heater. We know how to fill it,but confused that there is no On/Off switch located anywhere for it. We know where the temperature dial is for it,but that doesn't switch it off or on. ...does the heater switch on automatically when the electric supply is connected?,if that's the case is there a cut out switch that would prevent it from running dry?...it's all very confusing. ...and I'm an engineer by trade. ..but this caravan malarkey is doing my head in!!

PS. .We only want to use it with electric.

You are correct in saying there might be a cutout switch. If you turned on the electric with no water in the heater the cutout will work. Turn off all the electric for a few minutes and then refill the water heater. The cutout will then reset.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

The electric switch for the water heater is, from memory,a switch on the mains distribution panel.

The temperature selector is only for use when using gas as the fuel source, it has no function on electric.

When using electric as the fuel source, the water temperature is factory set at 70 Degrees.

The heater does have an overheat cut out to protect the electric heating element should you switch the heater ON without having filled the water system, but it will only be effective for a certain number of times before it fails and you will burn the element out.

Always MAKE SURE the hot water system is full BEFORE switching the water heater ON.

Edited by Brecon

we had a spectrum 540.

as said, there is a water heater switch (red illumninated) on the control panel in the wardrobe. there was also a battery charger switch and blower heater switch

on the heater itself there is also a small red square reset button. when I accidently switched on the heater button with no water in the heater tank it overheated and tripped the little button. mine didn't reset automatically, I had to reset it manually.

the dial is there for gas only and can set the water temp. on electric I think the water temp is preset at 70c

there was a red reset button on my Truma - it was underneath the protective plastic covering - I only came across it by accident when I started taking it to pieces

Sorry, but there has never been a red reset button on any Truma heater.

The reset is by way of a bimetallic strip which is integral to the heater element on the 450w units(Early ones) and a separate small round sensor attached to the element by a yellow cable and bolted to the tank next to the element.

The elements on both early and later models do not have a plastic cover, they are under the cardboard cover which completely surrounds the tank.

The button you found on the end of the hot water tank, under the electric connection cover, hidden by a swing aside cover, is a Carver Cascade.

Edited by Brecon