What Type Of Generator

Hi I am thinking of buying a small generator to take with us on sites with no electric. I was at the Mondello motor racing circuit in southern Ireland last July and really could have done with a generator on site for Tv etc in the evenings!!!

Can anyone tell me what type to go for (size,ouput,4 stroke or 2 stroke Etc).I really only need it for 240v Tv and the kettle. Do you plug it into the caravan the same as if on an electric site. All daft questions i know but any help would be great. :P:P:P

Had 3 week holiday last year non- electric. Didn't miss it at all.

As already been said noisey generators are very unpopular

Have you thought about an inverter for telly

I have had 4 generators and have suffered noisy ones, unreliable ones and ones which did not deliver enough useful power.

My current one is definitely the best to date, it is almost silent, is a joy to start, and delivers 2 Kw. It is also the lightest so far. ......it is a Honda, not cheap but when I consider that I spent far more on 3 inadequate generators I should have bought this one from the outset.

I would certainly keep clear of the cheap 2 strokes.

The best deal and service I have found comes from www. justgenerators. co. uk and they will price match.

I am not associated in any way with Honda or Just Generators.

Just to add, I would not plug a cheap generator into your caravan mains inlet socket as they produce a very spikey AC and have been known to destroy the caravan charger, Check for one designed to power sensitive electronics such as laptops eg. Honda EU10i or EU20i.

5640[/snapback]

I have a Honda 1kw - EU10i - it is really good - and quiet !! Cost a bit more than some of the ones you can buy at DIY places - but was well worth the outlay !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I'll add another thumbs up for Honda. I ahd one, only a 1kw, but whisper quiet and power was smooth enough to run a desk top computer on (which I did weekly for 3 years without a problem)

I've seen that B&Q (amongst others) have 7/800 watt 2-stroke available for about £65, sure it does a good job, but probably not quietly. ...

Remember if you are looking to compare 'db' noises ratings and increase in '3' on the value of the rating is in effect a doubling of the niose level. (if I rember correctly!):)

Guest john1215

As I metioned I've never used or own a generator for caravanning but I can be educated. I don't see me having a use for one but would any of you experienced users like to give me some idea how they are useful. This a serious request.

john1215

As I metioned I've never used or own a generator for caravanning but I can be educated. I don't see me having a use for one but would any of you experienced users like to give me some idea how they are useful. This a serious request.

john1215

5695[/snapback]

My experience quoted above was more about using a generator than how it may help caravanning. I'm not sure I would buy one to go caravanning. If I was in need of 240v in the middle of nowhere I'd be more tempted to use a 12volt -> 240 volt inverter. I supose the main creteria would be what 240volt equipment you might want to use. High wattage inverters are not hard to find, but you need a heck of a battery to run one; I suppose that's the downside to consider against the possible noise of a generator.

. .............Get a quiet one, you'll be much more popular. ...............

5619[/snapback]

Too right. Make sure of any particular site rules regarding their use as well. Some sites ban their use, others restrict you to the times of use.

Solar Panel reference moved to separate topic

Edited by TonyW

Guest john1215

Solar Panel reference moved to separate topic

I've gone off the topic here, perhaps you would like to move this post into Caravan Accessories??

john1215

Edited by TonyW

The 2-stroke units that are on sale from £99 down to about £59 produce reasonably smooth power (good enough to run small Public Address systems and sound equipment without problems, but they are quite noisy and also produce a surprising amount of smoke (and hence smell). This seems to be irrespective of whether the units are new or run-in, the type of oil, or the oil/fuel mix. I have experience of units from 4 different suppliers.

In my opinion these units are excellent value for money and are fine for building sites, gardening (running power tools) or similar, but would be unpopular on a quiet site with other caravanners around.

I have 2 other Honda generators which perform well. I can confirm that the "super silent" Hondas really are very quiet; they can be used right next to a guitarist with a small amplifier without noise interference.

Generac units are also quite good although I have less experience of those.

Regular servicing of Honda generators seems to be essential to maintain easy starting and good perfromance.

I have

I used to have an old 2 stroke genterator that I got for about £110 a couple of years ago. I use it when I go marshalling for a local motorbike club. It was ok, but very noisy and you had to remember to mike the oil correctly when you refilling.

A friend has the Honda EU10i and it is very quiet and runs most thing ok, even a low wattage kettle was no problem. But at around £600 it was out of my price range for the amount of times I was going to use it.

This year I will be marshalling mor so decided to upgrade. I saw the reviews for the Sinemaster as mentioned in the link above.

LCS Autosat were at a recent show and I asked for a demonstration, they are quiet and decided to buy one.

A bit dissapointed when I first tried it and will be taking it back next week. I am hoping that I have a faulty one as it does not tick over smoothly and is no where near a quiet as the one demonstrated at the show. I have spoken to LCS who have no problem with me returning it. They have said that it should be quiet and thought that it sounded noisy over the phone.

Will update you when I have swopped it.

Regards

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

We considered a generator but ended up going with an inverter. We run it off a 85ah battery (sometimes we take a spare battery if the weather is bad for extra energy) We use this to run the TV, CD player, hairdryer etc. The inverter is no bigger than a shoe box and will give you a number of hours with the tv. It is very quiet too so wont upset the neighbours like a generator does!!

We've just bought a Cosmo 2 stroke generator from Macro at the weekend as we are starting to rally.

I don't think we will be using it much as it does seem noisy although it was ideal to use getting the van cleaned out for it's first trip this season at the storage compound.

We have bought a 2nd battery to run the tv off through an invertor.

Someone has mentioned about not running the van battery charger off the generator. The generator we have bought has an output and lead to charge a battery direct from it. The instructions are very vague (virtually no existant). Does anyone know if we would be safe to charge the battery up by this method?

Helen

Someone has mentioned about not running the van battery charger off the generator. The generator we have bought has an output and lead to charge a battery direct from it. The instructions are very vague (virtually no existant). Does anyone know if we would be safe to charge the battery up by this method?

Helen

10260[/snapback]

It depends on both the charger and the generator. You should get better results charging the battery directly.

Disconnect the charger from the battery before attaching the generator.

Don't charge the battery for too long - a couple of hours at a time.

Keep an eye on the electrolyte level in the battery (have some distilled water available if the battery is not of the sealed type).

If the battery has a charge indicator, and the indicator says "full", stop charging at once.

Disconnect the generator as soon as you have finished charging.

Buying a cheap voltmeter -less than £10 - will allow you to monitor the battery voltage much better.

Buying a cheap voltmeter  -less than £10 - will allow you to monitor the battery voltage much better.

10304[/snapback]

Thanks for this eighthofseven. I think that will be all we will use the generator for; to charge the battery.

I think we have a voltmeter, (I presume it is the handheld digital thingy with 2 probes and a dial for different settings) just got to work out how to use it :huh:

Helen

ALDI UK

from 10th February 2005

Thank you for enquiring about Aldi Special Buys and we are pleased to reveal the new range that will be in your local Aldi store on the 10th February.

Once again, careful selection, exceptional quality, and amazing prices confirm Aldis hard earned reputation for unbeatable value.

We hope you enjoy making your choice - but remember, stocks are limited, so get there early to avoid disappointment.

Thank you for choosing Aldi.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Portable Generator each 6999 GBP

Small, compact and lightweight portable generator. Ideal for

use in the garden, garage, camping or when boating. Simply

use a standard plug or the DC output socket for a continuous

power supply.

* Limited to 650 watt rated output with a peak power of

720 watt

* Two stroke, single cylinder petrol motor, with 64cc

displacement and maximum 1. 3hp at 3,000 rpm

* DC/AC output

* Mounted on rubber feet to limit vibration

* Electronic ignition, recoil starting system

* Overload circuit breaker

* Noise level of 62dBa at 7 metres

* 4. 5 litre fuel tank with an average fuel running time

of 5. 8 hours

* DC power leads, DIY kit and oil included

* Manufacturer's three year warranty.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://www. aldi. co. uk/

PS I have nothing to do with Aldi, I just shop there a lot. :rolleyes:

Hello,

I'm sure Aldi had a cheap generater advertised for tomorrow (Thursday) don't know any more than that but maybe worth a look on the web www. aldi. co. uk ??

cheers

Scott

10379[/snapback]

We have just bought one of these today, it will be a week or so before we get chance to try it out, but I think it will be mainly used to keep our battery topped up when on no-electric sites. Also, it means we can use the little vacuum cleaner we have when the van is in storage.

I will let you know how it goes.

Mary,

Let me know what its like. ..

I bought a power boster from aldi the other week £25, Portable with ability to jump start car, light, air pump, 12v chargers for powering phones etc. Nice bit of kit for the money :)

scott

10750[/snapback]

Me too! :D