I have driven in France a number of times but have never attempted towing a van around Paris, the road maps look a bit daunting, doesn't seem to be a clear ring road, need to get from Amiens to Orleans without diverting miles around which I have done in the past, any advice please.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Go a different way - head from Calais towards Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, and Orleans! Simples, and no tolls. Actually the route is well signposted around Paris on the E104 (Francilienne) and then at the junction with the A6 south, just head 'across' and join the A10 towards Orleans. We used to use the Paris route years ago, but these days stick to the alternative.

Agree with ValA on routing . ...one thing to avoid for those going around Paris in the evening is that they have a habit of shutting the peripherique without a lot of notice, yes they have diversions but you might just end up going past Notre Dame at midnight. ....not funny!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I have been that way before, trouble free but quite a diversion, just thought there was something more direct

Agree with Val about the N104 but don't be too afraid of the Boulevard Peripherique. The BP comes to a stand still at peak times, but just use it - it's a road like any other.

The BP West is signposted as BP Ouest, and the BP East is signposted as BP Est. Follow the relevant sign post on approach. Once on the BP, your navigator will read the names of the junctions on the map, and the one you are leaving at will have been high lighted. Your navigator will say "two junctions to go" etc and we are leaving at "Porte D'Orleans". The road is nothing to be frightened of. I will add as you approach the BP, you will be following signs for "Orleans" anyway.

In my opinion, and based on numerous trips on the BP and the Lille Ring Road, Lille is far worse. Yes I know I'm in a motorhome, but I have done it towing a car too.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I wouldn't worry about the Periphenique Halohodge. French drivers are much more competent than their UK counterparts in my experience. None of the roads around Paris scare me half as much as those around London.

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

My warning about Paris was specifically an evening one. .....several of us have been thrown off late at night in the dark onto normal Paris streets with guesswork on which lorry to follow. ..........almost a delight during a day and they do let foreigners in and out,unlike London. ......

geoff

Fair comment Shipbroker. I haven't had that particular experience, but I appreciate that it would be somewhat challenging.

We too were directed 'off' the Peripherique - and left to our own devices with no detailed map! We ended up in the red light district, which kept us all distracted from the traffic for a while! Eventually we found our way out again - but it really isn't an experience I would want to repeat!

We too were directed 'off' the Peripherique - and left to our own devices with no detailed map! We ended up in the red light district, which kept us all distracted from the traffic for a while! Eventually we found our way out again - but it really isn't an experience I would want to repeat!

Exactly. ....they must use the same exit all the time!

geoff

We saw the 'ladies' in fur coats, opening them and revealing all! I remember my 12 year old son paying particular attention and I'm sure it helped his education!

My mother (many years later, and on a coach trip back from a 'cheap and cheerful' Spanish holiday where we also got diverted) was equally attentive!

They don't wear fur coats in the Bois de Boulogne area!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I am quite certain that the gendarmerie and the ladies in furs have some kind of scam going- it was the same in Lyon, when I lived there.

They don't wear fur coats in the Bois de Boulogne area!

Russell

Is that near the Caravan Site then Russell. .....?.....didn't see them.

geoff

Back on the OP, I've towed around the Periphique a few times over the years and as long as you have your wits about you it'll be fine. A tip, get in the 2nd lane and stay there until just after the turn-off before the one you require. Don't be intimidated to pull over as you can end up going off into the wilds of Paris - and I do mean wilds!

In my experience, Sunday is the best day to negotiate the BP as HGVs are few and far between.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Thanks for your comments, I will give them some thought, not traveling to July so I have got plenty of time. Comment, is it worse than M25

In my opinion it's a breeze compared to the M25 and I'd also say that French drivers are generally much less aggressive in my experience.

Is that near the Caravan Site then Russell. .....?.....didn't see them.

geoff

The BdB area is a known cruising/"equivalent of the red light area".

Russell

The BdB area is a known cruising/"equivalent of the red light area".

Russell

Gee thanks Russell. ......would never have guessed. ....me being a country lad.

geoff