Door Lock

caravaner2

I have a 2009 Lunar Delta ti and the door lock is stiff when locking or unlocking frightened of breaking key in the lock any advice welcome.

thanks Les

Hi Les . ... how about a squirt . ... of WD40 or the like . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I got a new lock and 5 keys from ebay a few years ago. ..I think it was about £15. ..and so easy to fit. ..

Towcar Peugeot Partner Tepi Outdoor Caravan Luna Venus

There was a problem with some locks around 2009 I had to replace mine under warranty. The best thing is to replace the interior working parts, contact your dealer he should be able to supply what you need, its a relatively easy fix.

There are different thoughts and advice on lubricants for the plastic locks as it is thought any petroleum product can effect the plastic . I use Silicone myself on plastics .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I assume this is the Hartal lock? The most common fix for this is to remove the barrel and gently sand it and the tube it fits into with some fine wet and dry paper. Any amount of lubrication won't get rid of an overtight barrel. It's a fairly easy fix to do DIY and there are more detailed instructions on various forums including this one, here's one.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

Thanks to everyone for their answers will give it a try.

regards Les

I had to do this on holiday last year as I nearly got locked out. Lubricants do not reach the spot, you need to take it apart. I had in my toolbox a short piece of rubber tubing which when wrapped around with fine wet and dry, did the job perfectly. A warning though, you do not want it too loose or apparently when you slam the door the internal lever can jump up and lock you out.

Lot of threads on this (poor) design.

The lock comes apart easily and things don't spring out all over the place.

Photo attached.

The round thing in the centre, is the plastic shaft which goes into the hole in the plastic, you need ideally a circlip pliers to remove the shaft, but I managed easily on site with a pointy pliers. . It is this hole that needs reaming out slightly.

A new lock is OK, but expensive and it means you no longer have one key for everything.

post-13194-0-89099200-1389786183_thumb.jpg

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

I had to do this on holiday last year as I nearly got locked out. Lubricants do not reach the spot, you need to take it apart. I had in my toolbox a short piece of rubber tubing which when wrapped around with fine wet and dry, did the job perfectly. A warning though, you do not want it too loose or apparently when you slam the door the internal lever can jump up and lock you out.

Lot of threads on this (poor) design.

The lock comes apart easily and things don't spring out all over the place.

Photo attached.

The round thing in the centre, is the plastic shaft which goes into the hole in the plastic, you need ideally a circlip pliers to remove the shaft, but I managed easily on site with a pointy pliers. . It is this hole that needs reaming out slightly.

A new lock is OK, but expensive and it means you no longer have one key for everything.

:goodpost:

I had a similar problem Chris. Van bought for grandees mainly. One day i was outside when a great hullaballue? got up. I discovered that they had locked themselves in and panicked when unable to open the door.

On reflection, i realised that the handle on the ancient Elddis has to be lifted up to open door but young kids have only known doors to open by pressing down on handle.

After a while mucking around to try and reverse action of lock i gave up. On return home i made a gadget that prevents door handle from going down to lock and this is employed every time grandees are near the van.

Wonder that more folks with young kids don't have this problem.

My Hartel lock, locks in the "UP" position

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Years ago I replaced a lock but wanted to keep same key number as I did not want to have 2 different ones for the several locks on the caravan, so every time in a dealers shop searched to find that key number, eventually I did.

Edit

Wanted to quote Colin4unows post above.

Edited by David Park

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

• 2 months later...

I have got my van home for servicing today. I note the door lock is still working well, but, the opening of the door catch by the external handle has got much worse over the winter. Pulling the handle out, the catch does not pull back as far as it should, i. e. it snags. I had this problem last year, but it is much worse now. I shall take it all apart to lubricate tomorrow, but I suspect that this is not the answer as it may be wear, and I may have to buy a complete new assembly. What I don't really want is an extra key and of course the cost.

Any ideas? I think I have seen references to this snagging, but don't recall any answers.

Edited by ChrisUK

Silicone spray through the hole and a few wiggles, job done. Don't use wd40 as it is a quick fix but a long term nightmare.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Oops, soaked it in WD40 this afternoon ready to take apart tomorrow. I do have silicon spray as well! Perhaps take apart, clean with brake cleaner then use silicon spray or silicon grease. However, I suspect that part of the problem may be wear so the handle is not retracting the catch far enough. So job #2 tomorrow after getting the tyres replaced.

Hi Les . ... how about a squirt . ... of WD40 or the like . ....

Cheers

Pete

WD 40 DOES NOT lubricate (Allegedly) - it cleans - try 3 in 1 with PTFE - that worked on mine

BO

WD 40 DOES NOT lubricate (Allegedly) - it cleans - try 3 in 1 with PTFE - that worked on mine

BO

Pete of the BO . .....

. .... aaaahhhh, Master . .... I humblye (?) apolgise . .... I see the light now . ....

I shall now go out-side . ..... and commit Hari Kari . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

If it is the "classic" Hartel lock issue it is too tight a plastic bearing, buried on the shaft under the circlip in ChisUKs number 8 post.

Ironically, using most conventional lubricants is the last thing for long term help as the plastic swell over time absorbing these oils, moisture etc. They will give a short term fix but near guarantee longer term problems.

The cure is to take the inside unit apart, which involves removing the circlip and easing out the bore that the shaft rotates in, with a little tight roll of sandpaper, or using some like technique. You just want that bearing not so "tight".

Complete dissembley this afternoon, degreased, bore sanded again, lightly greased and PTFE spray and worked fine on the bench. But on fitting on the van, not so good, its as if something is catching. Loosed the 4 screws, juggled it a bit, much better, tightened the screws sticks again. I'm wondering if the hole in the door is a bit on the tight side somewhere but I can not see where. Left the screws a bit loose, operated a few times till it found its own place then not very tightly tightened the screws. Ok ish now. Not perfect.

I note later vans don't use this design.

p. s. in the advertisements for these things, they refer to left and right hand versions. RH if lock is on the right if you look at the door, hinge on the left??

• 2 weeks later...

Silicone spray through the hole and a few wiggles, job done. Don't use wd40 as it is a quick fix but a long term nightmare.

I'd second that. Silicone lubricant is the way forward!

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying a new lock. This came with the by-product of a nice new handle and a much sturdier lock and key.

I could have kept the old lock, but the look of the new one was too much for me. ...