1994 Abbey To 13 Pin Connector + Habitation Relay

SteHarve

Hi All,

I've currently only got a 12n connector on the car, and have the official volvo 13pin plug and play kit, so will be fitting that in the next few months. This will mean that I am going to want to change the caravan electrics to the 13 pin plug, but would like it wiring properly including the habitation relay.

Firstly has anyone attempted this before? If so any gotchas to watch out for? I've got wiring diagrams of my 94 Abbey county, and also a 2000 abbey county which has the relays. So i am able to trace the wires on the van and what they should be plugged into on the car.

Secondly can anyone recommend a relay or two that can be used as habitation relays? or will a 30a car relay do the job?

Now some ask why don't I use the adaptor, well i've got a 2002 volvo which is notorious for not working with the adaptors and pre 98 caravans without some wire changing, and I don't want to change any wires on the car, but if I rewire the caravan it also means my parents can borrow it if needed. I also like the idea of just one plug, and the fact there's more earth returns, which should mean the fridge will operate better, and as we're planning on rallying this year, having a working fridge during the journey will mean i've not got to use as much gas to get it cold, and also my reverse lights will work!!

So any tips are welcome.

Thanks,

Ste

I assume that you will run the single cable right into the van electrics? you need the 7 pin wiring diagram and the 13 pin together so that you can swop over the leads from the two cables to just the one. Not a difficult job if you know what you are doing.

There are two things you are trying to do.

Firstly, you need to upgrade the caravan from pre 1998 electrics to post 1998 electrics. The main changes here are a dedicated return from the fridge and a relay in the caravan to switch the caravan battery into circuit sensed from the fridge supply. There is also another relay to isolate the caravan electrics when plugged into the car with engine running. (So called habitation relay)

Secondly, you need to change the caravan 12N/12S leads to a single 13 pin plug. This is relatively simple as there are the same number of wires in each so it's just a question of finding a suitable place to fit a terminal block in the caravan and connect the dual leads into one side and length of 13 core cable in the other side. Note only 12 cores are used.

These diagrams may help

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/towbar_electrics. shtml

I would think a 30amp relay would be adequate

Brian

Thanks guys for the info. I've got the wiring diagrams to hand, just need to find the cable and plug and then get on with it.

Brianl - I had a feeling that was what I would need to do, i'm lucky in that under the front locker is where the existing 2 7 core cables come in to the van into fuse blocks so will be easy to wire from there. The fridge wires both terminate here as well, so can easily sort the return earth out. The problem i'm thinking i'm going to have is with the relay. From what I gather, the car already has ignition switched fridge supply, so need a relay to switch the caravan battery to charge it when engine on and turn off the 12v electrics while towing, and then when disconnected will go back to allowing the leisure battery to power the the 12v internals.

Need to get my wiring diagram blown up so I can make alterations on it, and ensure that i've got the right colours!!

That volvo club link is where I found my info from, and thought i'd rather do it post 98/99 to ensure that if anyone else towed it with a new car it would be ok.

Would having a switch in the van in the PMS system that says van/off/car make a difference to the habitation relay? I'm guessing if I wire the relay into the + from the leisure battery, the switch will still work the same?

Would having a switch in the van in the PMS system that says van/off/car make a difference to the habitation relay? I'm guessing if I wire the relay into the + from the leisure battery, the switch will still work the same?

Not sure about that. My caravan does not have a van/off/car switch as the switching is done automatically by relays. When plugged into the car, engine off, the relay switches to the car battery, presumably sensed from the permanent supply.

Sargent sell 13 core cable

http://sargentshop. co. uk/epages/eshop328964. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Categories/ShopHome/Cable

If you buy elsewhere, make sure you get the one that has 5cores at 2. 5mm2

Brian

You may find this site interesting: http://caravanchronicles. com/guides/understanding-caravan-and-tow-car-electrics/. I found it useful when trying to understand how the two relays worked / were wired.

Make sure the 13 core cable has the correct current carrying capacity for the individual cores, as there are some on the market that have thinner gauge wires in them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SteveHarve,im doing the same wiring conversion on my 97 Swift so I can change it to a 13 pin,i have all the instructions on how and why you have to do it so if you want I will try to email them to you .

Ian.