Suggestions For Overnight Stops Near Caen In France

As per other thread, going to Brittany in August and want to break up the drive from Calais to Benodet and vice versa on the way back.

I was thinking somewhere just past Caen would be about right (about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Calais and about 4 hours to Benodet). Somewhere near Noyers-Bocage looking at Google maps.

We'd be aiming to get there around 4. 30 to 5pm on the way down then leaving around 9am next day.

On the way back, getting there about 4. 30 to 5pm again. Next day we probably wouldn't need to leave until midday. So mainly just a stop off but we would spend the morning there on the way back so somewhere fairly nice.

Any suggestions for a site?

We've stopped over at Camping Le Puits at St Martin Des Besaces which is 2 minutes off the main autoroute. Run by very nice Irish couple and they offer a basic food menu and a great bar.

Caravan accessible fuel station on way in or out in town as well

They have specific drive on drive off pitches for overnighters

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Had this recommended to us previously when we were considering the drive down.

http://www. lepuits. com/en/pictures. shtm

Also worth bearing in mind that you would have 2 nights accommodation, plus and additional 500 miles on the journey by going through the tunnel/ferry, compared with going from Portsmouth to St Malo/Caen and back. So maybe worth checking out the costs etc.

We did it, and found we got an extra night in France, as we can get the Friday night crossing instead, and be in France for early Saturday morning

Stayed at Martragny many times over the years but in my opinion has gone steadily downhill. Stayed one night on the way home last year and a new toilet block had been built ( at last) but not sure how it remains a Castel site. It is ok for a night but would not stay any longer.

Edited by ascsbe

We stayed at Martragny last year, out of season. New toilet and shower block are excellent. I cannot see why anyone would object to an overnight stop. If you choose a pitch either side of the lane leading to the Chateaux, you can remain hitched.

Had this recommended to us previously when we were considering the drive down.

http://www. lepuits. com/en/pictures. shtm

Also worth bearing in mind that you would have 2 nights accommodation, plus and additional 500 miles on the journey by going through the tunnel/ferry, compared with going from Portsmouth to St Malo/Caen and back. So maybe worth checking out the costs etc.

We did it, and found we got an extra night in France, as we can get the Friday night crossing instead, and be in France for early Saturday morning

We live in North Kent so I don't think Portsmouth/St Malo works for us. From home to Calais (excluding waiting to board the ferry) is 2 1/2 hours. It would take nearly that just to get to Portsmouth.

We either leave home in the afternoon, get the overnight ferry to St Malo then drive to Benodet next day getting there about midday (check in isn't until 1pm though) or we leave home in the morning via Dover/Calais, stop half way in France then get to Benodet at about midday next day, same as before. So overall no extra time away.

Also, return ferry to Calais is £125 plus extra return fuel Calais to St Malo of say £150 - got a quote for Portsmouth to St Malo (cabin only one way for some reason) and it was almost £900! Dread to think how much a cabin would be both ways. Plus what happens when the kids (and therefore us parents) don't sleep on the ferry? That is a real possibility, especially if the sea is rough.

I'll check again though just in case.

If I lived nearer Portsmouth or had a long journey in England first an overnight trip would probably be worth it but not for us.

We live in North Kent so I don't think Portsmouth/St Malo works for us. From home to Calais (excluding waiting to board the ferry) is 2 1/2 hours. It would take nearly that just to get to Portsmouth.

We either leave home in the afternoon, get the overnight ferry to St Malo then drive to Benodet next day getting there about midday (check in isn't until 1pm though) or we leave home in the morning via Dover/Calais, stop half way in France then get to Benodet at about midday next day, same as before. So overall no extra time away.

Also, return ferry to Calais is £125 plus extra return fuel Calais to St Malo of say £150 - got a quote for Portsmouth to St Malo (cabin only one way for some reason) and it was almost £900! Dread to think how much a cabin would be both ways. Plus what happens when the kids (and therefore us parents) don't sleep on the ferry? That is a real possibility, especially if the sea is rough.

I'll check again though just in case.

If I lived nearer Portsmouth or had a long journey in England first an overnight trip would probably be worth it but not for us.

That's fine smarty as didn't know what part of the country you lived in. Being that close, I'd take the tunnel or Dover/Calais.

Camping Municipal at Bayeau?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450