Ring Rinv1200P Pure Sine Wave Inverter

tictag

Learnt a lot recently about being off EHU for a length of time (two weeks so far). Firstly, solar panels don’t work in winter. Secondly, your leisure battery doesn’t last very long when you have the central heating pump running for a good part of the day (it’s about 2 degrees here) and thirdly, you can’t rely on the towing electrics to recharge your battery because nothing else works when it’s plugged in!

So I’ve been using my tug as a [very expensive] generator with a basic inverter (part of a power pack – thread about that in the gadgets forum) to essentially create a portable EHU. Whilst it kind of worked it this was a bit rubbish, couldn’t run the microwave and if the leisure battery got more than 50% discharged it constantly cut out, presumably because the current draw was too much. I also suspect it’s a modified sine wave because my laptop power supply unit moans when it’s plugged in.

So I bought a proper inverter: a ring automotive RINV1200P PowerSourcePure 1200W continuous / 2400W surge pure sine wave inverter. I spent nearly eight hours fitting it. A good and proper job. Mounted with rivet nuts to the underside of my boot, proper chunky cables, fused to 150A, all P’clipped and tidy; a job to be proud of….and I was.

I plugged it in, it worked for about three minutes then blew up. .......needless to say, I was a tad disappointed.

I re-checked the specs and it explicitly states support for microwaves up to 800W (which mine was) so I can only assume I got a Friday afternoon model. I’ve sent it back for warranty replacement.

Edit: typo

Edited by tictag

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop abusing that Jaguar with inverters and dodgy PowerPacks and buy an lpg generator Tictag!

Stop abusing that Jaguar!

The DPF did have a right moan at me after leaving it on tick-over for over an hour! A 3 year old Jag belching out smoke is not a good look! ;)

A genny is definitely on my birthday list.

The specs have it explicitly supporting up to 800W microwaves at 1200W continuous and 2400W surge. And it's supposed to have overload protection anyway. I think it was just a lemon.

The DPF did have a right moan at me after leaving it on tick-over for over an hour! A 3 year old Jag belching out smoke is not a good look! ;)

Maybe you should jack the rear wheels and invest in Fred dibnah style rubber band to drive a generator a la traction engine style, you could have the worlds first steam punk caravan generator, sorry to be so helpful!

I can feel another trial coming on!

Edited by sleepyfolk

You are on the limit with a 1200 inverter and a microwave. I did my sums and went to 1500w and have had no problems.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Considering that I'll be using the microwave whilst the charger is also connected (at a minimum), you may well be right. We'll see how the replacement goes. By rights I should be buying a genny but can't afford the one I want at the moment. A circa £200 inverter seemed like a reasonable stop-gap.

Having a right palaver with this inverter. The replacement turned up and was second hand! There was touched-up paint on the bottom, the terminals were corroded and you could clearly see where a burnt out track on the PCB had a bypass wire soldered in! I called Ring and they've all but admitted a mistake on their end. I've ordered another and will now be returning two for refund.

Whilst I was on the phone, I checked with Ring tech services about the first inverter. They simply said the unit is designed to shut down on overload; if it went out with a bang then it was faulty.

Not been having much luck with this inverter. Maybe somebody is trying to tell me that I shouldn't be fitting an inverter to a Jag! (sleepyfolk ;))

Not quite microwave speed but it gives us time to have a glass or two :)

fatless grill

This weather we use the caravans cooker :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hmmm, that's making me hungry! ;)

Too true, I probably won't use the microwave that much, I just like the idea that I can should I want to. I also like the idea that no matter where I am, I can always have an EHU on demand to charge the leisure battery, run the heating if I mess up the gas supply etc. It's for peace of mind as much as anything else.

My mind isn't very peaceful at the moment, though!

Ultimately, I'd like to get an inverter for the 'van but need a reliable, 24/7 battery charging system first. I'm thinking solar backed up with a genny or a hydrogen fuel cell. The fuel cell has lots of advantages but they are not even on the same planet as cheap.

Right now in the Peak District, a hydroelectric system might be the best option. ..

Right now in the Peak District, a hydroelectric system might be the best option. ..

Well you need to change to a Bailey caravan then, the model with the front wet lockers, you could then do a simple coversion to store the water in there and generate as you release it. Perhaps Bailey had this in mind and you could be one step ahead?

LOL, sounds like a plan.

Maybe a solar pump to pump up from the lockers to the roof during the day, then pipe it back down via a generator during the evening. I think we may be onto something here. .. ;)

LOL, sounds like a plan.

Maybe a solar pump to pump up from the lockers to the roof during the day, then pipe it back down via a generator during the evening. I think we may be onto something here. .. ;)

Well with the Alutech construction water running in the walls doesn't affect the structure so you could also be cooling at the same time, I feel this is now developing well, we sussed what Bailey was up to.

Good luck.

RT

Your not alone having problems with inverters. My son had a 4A supply to narrow boat which would not run washing machine. So before buying washing machine checked with manufacturers on which ones would run off an inverter seems either LG or special for boats are only ones. So LG washer it was and a 3kW with 6kW peak inverter simulated sin wave, yes quite a beast. 70mm cable was too rigid so twin 35mm feeds and used bayonet welding connectors as means of isolation. 480Ah of battery power weight is not a problem on a boat.

It arrived and was fitted and small loads worked fine however kettle and washing machine made it give out expensive blue smoke. On inspection it had a series of 16A blade fuses one for each FET and as a FET failed the fuse for that FET failed so the remaining got hotter and the cooling fan failed to control temperature. Guarantee repair but we had to pay postage to China. Then we were also charged customs duty going into China so ending up paying half the cost of the unit to get repaired.

One return we never used the washer on it and we think some more FET's had failed but boat was sold so no longer our problem.

At 1500W that's 125A so to prevent the battery voltage dipping too much it would require around 250Ah minimum battery size and around 35mm cable I would use welding cable but I did not think the Jag had that big of a battery. I came to the conclusion 12 volt is no good for large inverters before doing again I would convert boat to 24 volt.

My laptop had no problems with simulated sin wave inverters still use a small 150W one.

Your into experiments so how about a cycle hub dynamo? Called dynamo but really an alternator forget turning into wind just aim at prevailing wind. Replace wheel rim with as wide as band of plastic drum that will fit in yoke. Spoke up then wrap insulation tape on spokes to form blades. Use half wave rectifier twice if able to get centre tap on battery great if not two large capacitors. So 6 volt AC made into 12 volt DC. I have had one sitting in shed for years with intention of building one at the house. Would place between houses as wind goes either up or down between houses so no need to turn into wind does not matter if clockwise or anti-clockwise still charges.

At 1500W that's 125A so to prevent the battery voltage dipping too much it would require around 250Ah minimum battery size and around 35mm cable I would use welding cable but I did not think the Jag had that big of a battery. I came to the conclusion 12 volt is no good for large inverters before doing again I would convert boat to 24 volt.

My laptop had no problems with simulated sin wave inverters still use a small 150W one.

The Jag's only got a 90AH battery but tbh I was never planning on running the inverter without the engine running, I wouldn't want to risk not being able to start it (cause my backup powerpack is just so good, as you know ;)) I don't know how much my alternator kicks out but the heated windscreen is fused at 80A and there's not even a slight dip in light levels when it's switched on and it's fused going into the rear services busbar (and battery) at 250A. I'm guessing the alternator should cover it.

The inverter is 1200W with a maximum input of 115A, though I've fused it at 150A, and the cables come with the inverter but they are nowhere near 35mm, more like 15mm.

My laptop PSU works Ok on the modified sine wave, it just buzzes like it's moaning at me!

My third inverter arrives tomorrow (later today). Let's see if third time really is the charm. ..

Edited by tictag

If your laptop buzzed, it is NOT a proper sine wave. Possibly an indication it was faulty even then.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

If your laptop buzzed, it is NOT a proper sine wave. Possibly an indication it was faulty even then.

He had said it was a "modified sine wave".. My Samsungs [two] simply don't work on one of my modified sine wave inverters, a Ring, but do on another much older "Power everywhere" modified sine wave unit. The HP ran on either.

Edited by JTQ

If your cable is only 16mm the current capacity is app 87A!

A fuse should match the cable, risk of a fire if you fuse it at 150A!

knarf

If your cable is only 16mm the current capacity is app 87A!A fuse should match the cable, risk of a fire if you fuse it at 150A!knarf

Indeed so. It would appear from some basic website calculations you need 25mm cable or thereabouts.

See ---> http://www. solar-wind. co. uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables. html

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Just checked the specs supplied with the unit (see attached – mine’s the 1200watt) and the supplied cables are 16mm2 and rated for 110A. They also recommend a 150A fuse but I see your point – I’m going to query this. Maybe the littlefuse mega range don’t do a fuse in between 100 and 150A (and 100A obviously wouldn’t be suitable)?

Anyway, third time was the charm! It’s in and works a treat! I can’t run multiple high-power equipment concurrently but the microwave, the alde heating (on the 1KW setting), the cooker and my kettle all work fine on their own. The microwave seems to have the biggest draw – battery terminal voltage (with the engine running) drops down to 12. 5V from 14. 5V but even at that I am confident that the alternator is supplying most if not all of the power.

For a stop-gap, I’m happy with this. If all else fails I will still be able to keep warm, cook and charge the battery (did I tell you lot? I ran out of gas on Christmas Eve – went down to 1 degree that night and only up to 5 degrees on Christmas Day – lesson learned!!!)

I’m going to query the cable specs with Ring.

post-63455-0-07488200-1389362126_thumb.jpg

Oh dear :( I was just checking battery terminal voltage again to make sure it wasn't dipping any further when the microwave was on and the unit just when bang! That'll be the second one. Called Ring technical support to run through the installation and specifications and he said everything should work, he intimated there may have been be a bad batch.

I think I'll try one more and if that fails I'm going to move onto a different brand.

I've had several inverters and have never found one that performs to their claimed specification, when pushed near to the limit most have gone bang as yours has!

knarf

I've had several inverters and have never found one that performs to their claimed specification, when pushed near to the limit most have gone bang as yours has!

knarf

Indeed, I tried two different units in my fathers motorhome, both professionally installed, both units went bang at nowhere near the draw limit - in fact less than 50% load. both times they where 3kw inverters (Full wave) running a 750w microwave. The makers just gave the money back in the end.

My dad now has a Honda genny set with some very large chains strapped to the motorcycle holder on the back of the van.

3 hours running a day can charge all the batteries to full if required.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi