Did You See How They Build Airstreams?

peterjohn

Hi gang, Hope you saw the Caravan Finder T. V Channel tonight. The whole programme was devoted to a tour round the Airstream factory in Jackson Ohio. Any model was going down the production line alongside different sizes, colour interiors with or without air con etc.

Interestingly enough, they do the complete outer skin on the chassis first, then subject them to the water test with somebody inside to check for any leaks there were none even though I never saw a sealant gun used anywhere, just rivets. Only when the outer skin was signed off as watertight was the insulation glued to the inside, then the inner skin was riveted in place and the furniture put in last of all. As the boss said " If it don't go in through the door it don't go into an Airstream.

Well although I think they look awful, I have to give them top marks for making a caravan that all the workers there seem to be proud of. Generations of workers, loyal to the company.

I imagine it must have been like that in the Carlight factory . A really good hand made product to be proud of. ....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

i watched it last night it was amazing, and they are selling them all over the world not for me tho

:P

liverpool fc- boxing and fishing- camping

Ugly Never more iconic .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

Oh, Peterjohn, Carlights leak as well- they just go for 10+ years without getting the dreaded damp in the first instance, because they are properly made. Airstreams don't leak at all (or not so I have heard) but the trade off is the, er, interestíng look. And the weight!

Tim

Oh, Peterjohn, Carlights leak as well- they just go for 10+ years without getting the dreaded damp in the first instance, because they are properly made. Airstreams don't leak at all (or not so I have heard) but the trade off is the, er, interestíng look. And the weight!

Tim

And the price :(

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Neither love them or hate them but would certainly be one of my toys if ma numbers came up . .....

GAS . .... :angry:

indeed with matching LWB Landrover. ....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The Airstream build comes from a aircraft manufacturing industry and uses the same methods from 70yrs ago.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I know they are different materials used and expense, but it took a week and a half to build from start to finish. Compare that to when they showed a bailey van being build earlier in the year,2hrs from start to finish.

I agree Airstreams are both ugly & expensive. But they are luxurious inside and you only need to buy one once which for anyone who changes vans every 5 or so years they eventually save you money. Downside is you need a large 4 x 4 to tow one. If money wasn't an issue I would buy one.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

If they test every one for water ingress, they must get some leaks, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Ern

You can save by importing one yourself from the US and you would need to alter the rear flashers and fit a transformer for the 110v appliances and change the hitch to a 50mm and fit a mechanical handbrake. The tow vehicle would need a brake controller fitted for the electric brakes.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Surprised Ted Newman hasn't paid this page a call yet?..........perhaps he is still watching the River Thames rise??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

You can save by importing one yourself from the US and you would need to alter the rear flashers and fit a transformer for the 110v appliances and change the hitch to a 50mm and fit a mechanical handbrake. The tow vehicle would need a brake controller fitted for the electric brakes.

Dave

It would need over-run brakes fitting - electric brakes can't be the primary method of braking in Europe for trailers under 3,500 kg MAM. That's why Airstream Europe use a European chassis, not an American one.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

It would need over-run brakes fitting - electric brakes can't be the primary method of braking in Europe for trailers under 3,500 kg MAM. That's why Airstream Europe use a European chassis, not an American one.

Not since 2011. Regulations changed to allow electric brakes under 3500kg.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Not since 2011. Regulations changed to allow electric brakes under 3500kg.

Dave

So I see - but it still has to be fully automatic, not dependent on driver or any sensor on the towing vehicle.

http://www. direct. gov. uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_200827. pdf

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

That's why you are seeing companies like American caravans direct and other companies over here now selling US caravans as they are cheap in the US and now it does not require the axles being changed it has made it even cheaper . Just a mechanical handbrake conversion and a breakaway cable .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

If they test every one for water ingress, they must get some leaks, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Oh! the cynicism of British caravan owners! ;)

Conversely, if they didn't test every one how would they know that none have leaked? :rolleyes:

Airstreams don't leak ?

Try going on the forums like Air forum .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I think they're beautiful and I'd love one. A British one not American, don't want their weird toilets etc. 604 for me but wife says no chance.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

When we visited the Airstream importers at Tebay last year, they told us that the BPW chassis was only for the U. K. and that the axles were located further forward because of the massive noseweight that the American builds have.

He showed us one built for America and the noseweight could not be handled by a British car. .

Therefore if you are thinking of buying one, Don't import an American built for America, buy one built for Britain. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

A properly designed process has it's certainty built in. This is not to say that verification is a bad thing, but 100% testing is associated with poor process control - it is called "sorting". The economics (and the Americans certainly know about this) dictate that the high cost of 100% testing would not be accepted unless there was a fairly high probability of undetected failures without it.

Not only that, but the cost of repairing a failure after the following build stages would be totally unacceptable. This water testing process is also very crude, and simply shows that no leak path has developed yet. A leak path could develop immediately afterwards. This is not cynicism, just a simple fact. I do not decry the testing of a process when it's justified. The point I made is that they almost certainly do get leaks.

Ern

They use Hitch weight reducers to reduce the nose weight on the US vans to get over noseweight problem .

sounds like a salesman not giving the correct information for a sale ?

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto