Nose Weight

Laney16

We have recently purchased a 2009 Abbey Spectrum 540 twin axle. The MIRO is 1545kg and the MTPLM is 1830kg. I have a new Milenco nose weight gauge and when I checked it before a Christmas trip, it went off the scale !!. In the front I have two Calor Lite gas bottle's, one if which was empty, two Alko wheel locks, Alko side lift Jack and a 25m mains cable. I removed the wheel locks. mains cable, and jack but is was still reading over 100kg. There is nothing in the front of the van inside apart from a small plastic box of bits and pieces under the front side seat but this only weighs about 2kg if that. The Aqua Rolls and wastemaster are in the middle of the van. This was also with the centre chest of drawers in place as we had removed it to try some wrap around seating !

I tow with a Mitsubishi Grandis and the ball limit is 85kg. I have been towing for some 8 years, previously with a Bailey Pageant and manage to keep that noseweight to the correct level. Is there something I need to know about twin axle vans ? It does have a powrtouch motormover mounted ahead of the front axle and this weighs around 30kg but can't imagine this affecting the noseweight that much.

Any suggestions?

You need to have the hitch at the same height as what it will be when hitched to the tow car when measuring. Try that and see if it makes any difference.

Need to move this post as well as its not a swift.

Hi Brocher12.

I measured it on a level driveway - just lowered the jockey wheel until it lifted. Don't see how I can measure it at the same height as when hitched, as the rear of the car drops.

Also, my van is made by Swift - Abbey no longer exists and in fact, the van is same as a Swift Conqueror 630 and Sterling Elite Searcher.

Thanks

I have a twin axle conqueror and have to get to 85kg nose weight, I take out everything, no matter how light from in the caravan forward of the front wheels and see where I am, my aquaroll and waste master go under the fixed bed, it all helps. It's worth checking the milenco gauge is correct, I use the same one and they are good, check the van with some bathroom scales and compere readings just to be sure.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Thanks Marks. Do you carry anything in the front locker apart from your gas bottles or do you take those out as well ?

I have a similar problem with our Swift Challenger SE 580 (single axle)

I have to have the front locker practically empty and load stuff behind the axle to achieve a 90kg nose weight and trying to do that whilst keeping within the stated MTPLM (even with it uprated) is a major challenge

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Hi Brocher12.

I measured it on a level driveway - just lowered the jockey wheel until it lifted. Don't see how I can measure it at the same height as when hitched, as the rear of the car drops.

Also, my van is made by Swift - Abbey no longer exists and in fact, the van is same as a Swift Conqueror 630 and Sterling Elite Searcher.

Thanks

You need to hitch the van to the tow vehicle and measure from road to ball height. Disconnect from car and pack under the weight gauge to the same height then attached the caravan for a truer reading. If you lift the van too high the the front wheels are not supporting their normal weight and and the nose weight indicates heavy. If you measure too low then the rear wheels are acting more like a counter balance and lifting the weight off the front, giving a light reading. You are effectively moving the fulcrum which in turn increases the distance from fulcrum to hitch thus giving a false weight reading.

Hi Brocher12,

Not quite sure how to do what you suggest. If I try to measure at the "hitched" height, I would not be able to get the gauge under the hitch as it is too low when hitched to the car the van is nose down. I have to wind the front of the van up to get the gauge under when it is level. In any case, when I then lower the van, the front wheels are then taking their full weight. I am not sure that there is enough movement when winding the jockey wheel up and down to lift either the front or rear axle sufficiently to relieve either axle of the weight it is carrying. The noseweight gauge instructions say to measure the van on level ground with the van level.