Television Aerials

Can anyone advise me which might be a good way to get a decent signal in the lakes on our tv,the last time we went we couldn t receive anything, don't want anything fancy, just able to watch some programmes and news etc.

thanks Dode.

As long as there's reasonable strength signals then a directional aerial (group T - wideband with 4G cutoff) will do the trick. Make sure you mount it correctly horizontally or vertically as appropriate for the local transmitter.

You can check the tv reception by going to the Wolfbane digital tv reception checker web site and inputting the postcode of the site.

If it says there is no or very weak reception, your only option is Freesat or Free-to- Air satellite.

Edited by bspks

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Did you see this previous thread? Here

Item might be a touch pricey but will help to remove much of the guesswork for newcomers to satellite.

Vin Blanc

NB - Just noticed that the package does not include Satellite receiver which makes it a bit more than just "pricey".

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Read this page - written by a professional aerial installer. .. http://www. aerialsandtv. com/touringaerials. html It gives good practical advice throughout the site.

Use the digitaluk website to find the likely transmitter(s) to try which is based on the UK's Spectrum Planning experts data. DiUK - tick 'detailed view'. Enter 'caravan' or a partial of the site name in the number box to get the most accurate data back as postcodes can cover a wide area in countryside locations.

Wolfbane can be wrong sometimes suggesting the 'nearest transmitter' when it does not send signals towards that location (I believe it assumes omnidirectional transmissions from all sites). It can also be over-pessimistic and recommends over-large aerial arrays and amplifiers when they are not necessary.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I would agree that Wolfbane is sometimes overly pessimistic, and quite often when it recommends a high gain aerial a normal status aerial will work just fine, but many other reception guides I have tried tend to lean the other way and report likely good reception when a caravan one is just not a high enough gain or isn't mounted high enough to get a usable signal.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios unfortunately.

Edited by bspks

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

When we were in Scotland last year & struggled to get a satellite signal & the freeview channels where few & far between, my wife discovered that with her MiFi & the laptop she could watch a lot more channels on line. .

http://www. ukfree. tv/allchannels. php

Forgot to say that we have bought a Mini Hdmi to normal Hdmi cable & by connecting the laptop to the tv you can watch the picture onto the tv screen. .

Edited by R we there

only works if there's a decent phone signal, fast enough data speed and you've got an unlimited data package otherwise you might get a nasty shock when the bill comes in

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Does anyone know anything about a maxview caravan/motorhome t v ariel?

would it be worth considering a used one?

Thanks Dode

Does anyone know anything about a maxview caravan/motorhome t v ariel?

would it be worth considering a used one?

Thanks Dode

Hi Dode,

We used to use a Maxview B2001 compact high gain aerial on our canal boat, we had now problems with it round the country, and I know my sister uses one with her motorhome. The aerial dismantles quite easily for storage

Ian

If you plan to visit places like the Lake District with lots of high hills to block terrestrial TV ("Freeview") reception, then you would be far better off with a Satellite set up receiving "Freesat" or "Free to Air" channels (all are free).

I am guessing that the Maxview kit you refer to could well be this one Maxview Omnisat Satellite kit which comes with a 54cm dish and an "Easifind" LNB.

I’ve read both good and bad reports about the Easifind kit so the choice is yours.

There are other ways to save on cost e. g smaller dish, cheap receiver etc. , but at the end of the day you get just what you pay for!

Personally, I would avoid motorised self seeking roof mounted dishes which sound great but tend to be mega expensive and are limited to where you park the van or motorhome. Far better with a tripod mounted dish to avoid trees and buildings etc.

Aiming a dish is quite easy once you get the hang of it and with satellite you don't have to re-tune your receiver at each different location. .

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Can anyone advise me which might be a good way to get a decent signal in the lakes on our tv,the last time we went we couldn t receive anything, don't want anything fancy, just able to watch some programmes and news etc.

thanks Dode.

You have not mentioned your home set up, Freeview or satellite ?

I just take my home freesat Humax HDR & a portable dish which I set up as per

http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/index. htm

David

Swizz