New And Clueless!

Hi all,

I've decided I need a touring caravan so that I can be where ever I want whenever I want. I've always travelled but as a backpacker and now I need a little more comfort and flexibility.

Got a fair few things to sort through though, starting with the fact I don't even have a driving license, that I'm hoping will be solved in the next month or so, followed by the necessary towing training. Then there is the fact I've stayed in a caravan once as a child and have no other experience than that so wouldn't know what to do with one anyway. Also what kind of car would I need to tow?

Thanks all :)

You will need to have some idea about the type of van you want and then make sure the car is capable and legal in towing it. You will soon pick up the other things but when you buy a van get a damp test done on it and ask to see everything working

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

First thing to consider is that new laws will forbid you from towing if the maximum weight of the unit exceeds 3. 5 tonnes.

Please check this carefully because I THINK that even if you got a 4x4 and a small caravan, it would still be illegal because the vehicle is capable of pulling a higher weight. You will have to take another test if you want to exceed this.

There are others on here who will no doubt give chapter and verse to make sure you are O. K.

Welcome to the site, feel free to ask questions :welcome: Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Ooo thanks for the replies already. I think I'm going to go to a show and see what kind of van/manufacturer I would like and I'm just trying to concentrate on passing my driving test first before worrying about what else I need to be able to tow. Is it hard to learn that extra?

Due to work and saving needs I think I might look at renting a static for the next year, how do you find these things because all I can find are holiday lets.

As you have so many hoops to go through, test, extra training, purchasing tow vehicle/caravan etc, etc. Not an inconsiderable expense.

Would it not be worth looking at a relatively small motorhome?? Only one normal test to pass, as per a car. Then you are on your way??????

just a thought :beardy:

Edited by blindsider

"Those who ask no questions, learn nothing"

Dick & Rona. ...........Honda CRV & Lunar Quasar 462

As you have so many hoops to go through, test, extra training, purchasing tow vehicle/caravan etc, etc. Not an inconsiderable expense.

Would it not be worth looking at a relatively small motorhome?? Only one normal test to pass, as per a car. Then you are on your way??????

just a thought :beardy:

For an equivalent motor home compared to a caravan from a space and comfort point of view you have to spend an absolute fortune and you have all of the disadvantages a motor home brings. Stay with the original plan gets my vote, enjoy the learning and then really enjoy caravanning afterwards.

RT

Re the motorhome option, I was just "thinking outside the box" with a touch of "lateral thinking" on the side. :ph34r:

"Those who ask no questions, learn nothing"

Dick & Rona. ...........Honda CRV & Lunar Quasar 462