Electric Problem

Jammyjase

I have a strange problem on 1991 swift caravan. When having toilet light on if I switch on amother light down that end if van all 12v lights go out but if I wiggle fuse plug they come back on until I turn in another light and same thing happens. Also when I plug van into site electric it sometimes trips the electric box. I've no idea what the problem is

Thanks for reply

I don't have a battery as it's on a permanent pitch

May well be the Nordelettronica unit on its way out as they failed a lot and Swift left off using them. As you are using it direct and there is no battery to take the initial load when switching extra lights on, and as you say the site mains trips this is looking as to where the fault lies.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Thanks for reply. So is it easy to fix and how much do you think approx it would cost to do so

There will almost certainly be a bad connection somewhere on the 12 v electrics. You mentioned the "fuse plug". Not sure what you mean by this, however, this would be a good point to start looking for a bad connection. Look for corrosion on the connections. Also check the 12 fuse that feeds the 12 volt lights. If its a flat blade type, the blades often corrode. The sympton you describe is typical of a circuit braking down due to corrosion on a connector somewhere. You should also check the connection of the 12 v negative to ground.

Thanks for the help all. I also meant to ask. The fuses are small old style and have a powder inside of them. They are placed into a plastic plug which slots into a panel (above the sink) and you then (using a screwdriver) twist it to lock it into place. Could the fuses just just need replacing or is it as stated above def a connection problem.

I've never seen a fuse with powder in it before

This van didn't have a nordellectronica system at all. It was a unit made by plug-in-systems, it was called 2S4VT. The crystal filled fuses were standard.

• 2 months later...

Season starts this weekend so just quickly. The fuses are the original fuses since 1991. Could replacing them fix my problem