Hoping This Will Solve My Problem With Noisy Pump.

screamingjack

I have had my Unicorn Seville for nearly 3 years and have problems with the very noisy Whale on board water pump. I tried everything to make it quieter but with no success. I was fed up with the machine gun sound every time it was used. We had to turn the pump off at night to avoid it waking us up if used. I decided as a bit of a long shot, although expensive, to purchase the new blue Whale Watermaster pump as it was a straight swap and easy fit for the old 814 version. I had my caravan serviced in November and the water drained so did not want to test it with water in the system with winter coming on.

Well I tried it running dry (as you can) and was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. I reconnected the old pump to compare the two and the difference was amazing.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that when the water is running through it, I will still be pleased.

The photo attached shows the new pump connected and I have put the old pump (which I will Use as a spare) by the side of it for illustration purposes. The new pump does not come with connectors so I had to replace the existing one with one from Ebay.

The blue piece on the white water connecting pipe, is a dealer fit non return valve as recommended by Bailey, so I am told.

post-38947-0-18464500-1388935236_thumb.jpg

Bailey Unicorn Seville

Landrover Discovery 4 2012

Hi Screamingjack,

Thank you for your positive comments about our new Watermaster On Board Pump.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us;

Tel: 028 9127 0531

E-mail: info@whalepumps. com

For further information on our products please visit http://whalepumps. com/rv/.

Many thanks,

Aoiffe

Whale Support

Would be very interested to hear your findings once you have used as I have tried everything on the pump on my barcelona to no avail.

If it is a straight swap, even better!

Cheers

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

Very nice to hear from Whale about there new Watermaster On board pump but what went wrong with the original design and how did it end up in production if the end user found it so noisy??? Ian S

I got the pump replaced for the new design FOC by Whale on my 3 year old Seville and it made not a scrap of difference, still sounds like a pneumatic drill

Read my caravan exploits at philelks_dot_com

Oh dear Spaniard maybe not such a good idea. Time will tell, I will report back when I first prepare the caravan

Bailey Unicorn Seville

Landrover Discovery 4 2012

What's wrong with a little noise, seriously we don't get hung up by it, now if it was the CH pump then that's a different story.

We always turn our pump off a night.

Well I tried it running dry (as you can) and was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. I reconnected the old pump to compare the two and the difference was amazing.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that when the water is running through it, I will still be pleased.

My pump is silent when running dry. It is only noisy when pumping but it's not too bad or maybe I have got used to it

Brian

Typically with noises like this the issue is not usually airborne noise from the pump itself but transmitted vibration from it powering some sounding board; like if the pump was mounted on a guitar.

To explore this I would temporarily unscrew the pump assemblies mounting board from the van’s floor and suspend it on a piece of cord, clear of the floor. Then run it noting the noise now. Yes very much a bodge at present but it will indicate the best noise attenuation levels you could achieve and whether more effort is worthwhile.

If it makes a world of difference then start playing with mountings.

Almost certainly the mounting screws will have been a critical component so I would seek to do away with them, or at least their impact.

So try letting the mounting board rest on some rubber [often better than plastic] foam.

My 3/16” thick foam rubber mouse mat here looks a tempting candidate, needs replacing anyway. [A bit thicker would potentially be better, so I could double up if needed.]

So sit it on that; it will not be as good as hanging on a cord but could be a lot better than as built.

If that’s promising then take the scissors out and make four 1. 5” squares out of it and try that at each corner. If that is worthwhile then I would simply get my high spec double-sided sticky tape out and mount it all up, tape rubber to mounting, tape rubber to floor.

If you must have the screws then bore out the boards mounting holes way oversize then cut some ply washers and stick foam on these and use them to sandwich the mounting board between foam. Resist tightening the screws and make sure they pass well clear of the mounting board, we don’t want to short the noise through a screw again.

Anyway you should get the idea, we are just trying to “de couple” the vibrations route from pump to floor using something inherently resistive to transmission of these noise-causing vibrations.

If hanging it on the cord did nothing for you just put it back as before, but at least you have explored a probable cause.

Edited by JTQ

In my Valencia 1 the pump is screwed straight to the floor.

Have I been a victim of more Bailey QC?

Freelander 2 chased by a 2011 Unicorn Valencia

Could the culprit be the dampener beside it, friend had same issue and asked me to have a look. Put hand on dampener and it was chapping like a good een. I have told him to replace it but this was the last outing of the year, so do not know if he has done it yet. Rather than spend money on a pump, can you remove the dampener and plug it, remember to open a tap before switching on the pump so there is no dead heading the pump to see if it is still noisy?

These type of feet are used on such as fridge motor compressors.

The screw threads don't go through so you have a true rubber interface, the pump already has rubber feet, but a little more wount hurt.

http://www. wdsltd. co. uk/categories/75/anti-vibration-mounts-bumpers-feet/202/anti-vibration-mounts

• 2 months later...

This weekend I had the water system connected directly to the tap, using a Whale Aquasource mains hook-up kit.

It worked fine except it made the pump even noisier.

Tried switching the pump off but that stopped the water flow.

I searched the Bailey user manual, but no answers there.

Am I missing something? Anyone have the same experience?

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Mine certainly makes more noise than an external submersible but that's to be expected as it's now installed inside the van. It's not causing me sleepless nights nor the amount of angst that some on here seem to be experiencing.

You could try a bit of rubber carpet underlay under the mounting board but don't screw it down too tight. Some sound will be transmitted through the pipework so make sure that there's a bit of flexibility so that the pump can move a bit.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I've tried everything and have a new pump courtesy of Whale but still like a drill. Gave up long ago, just put up with it now, not good enough and Whale should come up with a solution for the many dissatisfied customers in my opinion

Read my caravan exploits at philelks_dot_com