Winter Tyres - All Year Use

SamD

Per the title really. Many topics on web about people moving to winter tyres for all year use. Arguments include:

• Even though winters wear more quickly in summer, still cheaper than having 2 sets.
  • No messing changing twice a year
  • Traction loss in summer negligible unless boy racer!
  • etc

I am getting close to needing new set. Anyone here tried it?

Sam :beardy:

The cost of having two sets of tyres is only the initial outlay. ...as swopping doubles each set's life.

For me the disadvantage is having to store 4 tyres somewhere and the pain of having them changed over.

I might try a set of winter tyres next time round . ...but then all this global warming makes me think maybe not.

Might give some credence to OP's thread. ......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

According to tests carried out by Autobild, in warm conditions, summer tyres out perform winter tyres by nearly 20% in dry braking and 10% in wet braking.

At 60MPH the braking distance is quoted as 55m so a winter tyre would take a further 11m to stop in the dry.

knarf

A good balance would be all season tyres.

I drove on Dunlop SP20 for near 9 years, and was always confident with them on in all weather.

Some tyre companies are now stating that winter tyres are now ok to use all year, even given that the winter tyre is a softer compound and are less efficient above 7 degrees in terms of stopping distances and handling. (funny thing that) It sorts of wipes out the recommendation of fitting winter tyres in winter, in reversing the argument of keeping with standard tyres in winter.

Given this countries temperate climate (especially through the winter months) and its a proven fact that average yearly temperatures are increasing, the question could also be asked of the OP question, why cant folks use standard tyres all year round. Another point that could be raised, is if winters are fine to use all year, why are manufactures not fitting them on vehicles at factory and calling them "all season"

Edited by Gaz40

The all season tyres according to the test are not greatly different to the winter tyres in warm conditions.

knarf

I guess the main problem with using winter tyres all year round is what do you do when one of them needs replacing out of season? You would probably find it very difficult to get the same (or any) winter tyre in May for example. With my previous car I ran a set of Winters on a new set of rims so just had to change wheels over. I have not got Winters for the new car yet as I cannot find cheap enough wheels and I still have not managed to get rid of the previous set, although when the time comes I might try and go for all season tyres (if the lease company let me).

And lets not forget that its recommended that winters for winter use should be replaced well above the normal 2mm, around 4mm I think.

Might give some credence to OP's thread. ......

geoff

National Tyres are in the business of selling tyres and like all businesses, seek to maximise sales all year round.

In the Summer it is likely they will run the same type of campaign suggesting that the only way to be fully safe is to have summer tyres.

The further reference to Tyresafe (at the foot of the National Tyres Link page) is perhaps biased towards maximising tyre sales given that the members that make up Tyresafe are primarily tyre manufacturers and retailers.

http://www. which. co. uk/cars/driving/car-tyres/winter-tyres/

. ..But these severe cold spells are unusual. For the majority of UK urban-dwellers driving in normal daytime winter conditions, it's harder to justify the expense and hassle of fitting winter tyres.

Which magazine neither make nor sell tyres. It tells us what most of us already know.

Remember - you ideally should have 5 of each seasonal tyre or only 5 x all season.

As Xtailmans last post, winter tyres are considered no longer suitable in the Winter at 4mm.

I have a Winter set and a Summer set, I normally get three to four winters out of them, I run them for five months, tops, but if I keep them on past March, with wear rates getting higher in a warmer climate the chances are I will need a new set every year as they would be down to 4mm in October rendering them of little use for the coming winter. This way I also get three to four years out of the Summer ones, if when I get to March with the Winter set and the tread is getting down to 4mm I leave them let them get down to 2mm at worst and the change to the Summer set and replace the Winters at my leisure.

Given this countries temperate climate (especially through the winter months) and its a proven fact that average yearly temperatures are increasing, the question could also be asked of the OP question, why cant folks use standard tyres all year round.

The average UK temperature is 9 C, just 2 degrees above the 7 C break-even temperature - any rise in average temperature is a fraction of a degree.

And lets not forget that its recommended that winters for winter use should be replaced well above the normal 2mm, around 4mm I think.

There are also recommendations that summer tyres are changed at 3mm, not the 1. 6mm legal limit.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler all weather tyres (mud and snow) which came factory fitted to 17 inch alloy wheels on my Freelander 2. The reviews are good and guess they are suitable all year round tyres for 4x4s as fitted by Land Rover. So far they seem great for me although apart from driving in the rain have not used the car in any adverse winter snowy conditions.

Edited by Alsie

I cannot get up my street if it snows just a little, as I live on a hill and have to turn going uphill as well to get onto the main road. (sliding into parked cars is the usual senario, if I can get round the first corner). this was in a Mondeo Estate with Continental Sport Contact 2's on.

A couple of years ago, I struggled to get out and decided to get to the nearest tyre place 3 miles away. Got some mud and snow Nokians fitted(front only), and I could not believe the difference and confidence in the drive. I left these on for 18 months, around 20K miles and the wear was about 2mm, as they have markers moulded in.

On the other hand, bought a couple of Federal Himalayians from a friend, and put them on the back. Absoute disaster as they are no good in the wet(dangerous in fact) so changed them for another set of Nokians and the grip is excellent. Well recomended at £63 each deilvered from Germany

If you compare the difference between the treads, its easy to see why the contis are no good, they look like slicks compared to the m&s tyres

Edited by ian16527

Winter tyres start with deeper tread in the first place though.

They are made using a softer compound containing much higher silica levels than summer tyres as I understand it, so they usually are not capable of covering the same mileage.

http://www. fleetnews. co. uk/fleet-management/winter-tyres---pros-and-cons/38496/

http://autorepair. about. com/od/quicktips/ss/The-Difference-Between-Snow-Tires-And-Summer-Tires. htm

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I cannot get up my street if it snows just a little, as I live on a hill and have to turn going uphill as well to get onto the main road. (sliding into parked cars is the usual senario, if I can get round the first corner). this was in a Mondeo Estate with Continental Sport Contact 2's on.

A couple of years ago, I struggled to get out and decided to get to the nearest tyre place 3 miles away. Got some mud and snow Nokians fitted(front only), and I could not believe the difference and confidence in the drive. I left these on for 18 months, around 20K miles and the wear was about 2mm, as they have markers moulded in.

On the other hand, bought a couple of Federal Himalayians from a friend, and put them on the back. Absoute disaster as they are no good in the wet(dangerous in fact) so changed them for another set of Nokians and the grip is excellent. Well recomended at £63 each deilvered from Germany

If you compare the difference between the treads, its easy to see why the contis are no good, they look like slicks compared to the m&s tyres

The Contis are awesome in the warmer months though, probably one of the best out there. Have had them on past 2 BMW's. Agree tread pattern is positively useless for proper winter driving however, which is why I run winters in winter

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

They are made using a softer compound containing much higher silica levels than summer tyres as I understand it, so they usually are not capable of covering the same mileage.

http://www. fleetnews. co. uk/fleet-management/winter-tyres---pros-and-cons/38496/

http://autorepair. about. com/od/quicktips/ss/The-Difference-Between-Snow-Tires-And-Summer-Tires. htm

I would have thought the same as you, but on the Mondeo, it would get through a pair of front Conti's around 15K miles, usually 1 pair/year. (This was the 2. 0TDCi model).

As I said before, I ran the M&S tyres for over 18 months and the wear was only about 2 -3mm, according to the tread wear markings, which I believe started at 8mm. Perhaps as these were not out and out Snow tyres, this makes a difference.

Edited by ian16527

I use Insa Turbo remoulds that are rated as all season, all year round. There is no noticeable difference in performance in summer or winter, but they are made of quite a soft rubber compound, which probably makes a difference. I will say that they are quite noisy, and don't perform particularly well on wet tarmac, but that is due more to their aggressive tread pattern than anything else.

Winter tyres start with deeper tread in the first place though.

Which brands have deeper treads?

I have inspected various makes and used quite a few over the years and all those had 8mm tread depth.

I have inspected various makes and used quite a few over the years and all those had 8mm tread depth.

Not sure what they were when new but the Pirrelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tyres that I used for about 3 years (including all through the summer last year) still have 6. 5mm left on them.

I have seen winter tyre tread depths quoted between 8 and 11mm when new.

I'll measure my current Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes later.

My Insa Traction Tracks have about 20mm of tread when new. :)

The average UK temperature is 9 C, just 2 degrees above the 7 C break-even temperature - any rise in average temperature is a fraction of a degree.

There are also recommendations that summer tyres are changed at 3mm, not the 1. 6mm legal limit.

Interesting Government data below

Some European countries the legal limit is 4mm and most winter tyre manufactures recommend changing between 4-5mm minimum tread dept.