Porch Awning: Best Buys?

Fretting Newbie

Hi! Having survived the summer in Germany we're now desperately waiting for the weather to improve a bit so we can take the van out again for weekend breaks.

We decided last year that we could do with a porch awning: somewhere dry and out of the wind for the family to get out of wet coats and muddy boots. We don't want to spend a lot of money (around £150 is our maximum budget) but we want something that is quick and easy to put up (we don't want to spend ages mucking about with it each weekend).

What does everyone recommend?

We have a Lunar Quasar 546 (2012) and already own a full-size awning, by the way.

Thanks!

Jo

Hi. We caravan all year round, and use a Sunncamp awning that we bought from Towsure for £89. 00. I put it up on my own in less than 10 minutes. We have used ours for 150 plus nights, in all weathers and it is still going strong!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We've had two Kampa Rally's. We started with a 260 with our smaller caravan and then bought a 390 for our current caravan (although the smaller one still fitted). We managed to buy the 390 last year for £200 brand new of Ebay. It's an excellent awning and very easy to erect. I can do it in 20 minutes on my own (on grass). Both the 260 and 390 have stood up to some very bad weather. I would recommend purchasing the rear poles and the storm straps though.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

'Cos Shirl above recommended it we bought a Kampa 260 as well. .......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Ditto the above for us! We bought a Kampa 260 pro porch awning last year and with the extra monsoon poles it never gets those annoying pools of water in the roof panels from previous awnings. Our previous porch awning was from Towsure (about £100?) but it only lasted 2 summers and when we put it up for the first time last year it ripped when pulling it along the awning channel! Whilst the Kampa was over double the price to the Towsure awning the material thickness and quality is obvious, with all the seams taped, double stitched and good quality heavy duty zips. We had some tremendous storms to contend with last summer and it never leaked and seems very stable. The only downside is that it's a lot heavier (not really an issue as I load the majority of gear in the car) and although the front panel can be secured back, it can't be raised up to make a canopy as the old one did.

Kampa Rallye for us to. We loooked at quite afew before we got ours and most important points were that it was easy to put up and take down and dried quickly for weekends away

Pros

Very easy to put up and take down

Dries quicly

Stable in quite heavy winds

Monsoon poles to stop pooling on roof

Well priced for what you get

Doors can be mesh vents

Cons

Condensation

Heavy when packed

Windows roll up not down so you can't have them half open

'Cos Shirl above recommended it we bought a Kampa 260 as well. .......

geoff

Scary ! Hope you like it . .... ;)

Oops I forgot about the monsoon poles They tighten up the roof nicely. Plus the Kampa Rally 390 has a two way zip in both side doors which means the top can be left open a little for ventilation. The 260 we had originally only had one zip which opened from the bottom so it couldn't do this. I find this quite useful at night. I'm not sure if the new 260's have the double zip now.

Other Pros : Adjustable legs which are extremely usefull when parked on a sloping pitch. And when compared against other similar (cheaper) designs, the roof comes out fairly horizontally from the awning rail and then the legs are fairly vertical which gives a lot more useable room inside as compared to the single leg pole varieties.

We have the basic Kampa Rally. They now do various designs and 'Pro' versions with thicker material but these are of course more expensive.

Good Luck.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I'm not sure if the new 260's have the double zip now.

They do. .......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

They do. .......

geoff

Excellent ! It must have been because I rang them and complained . ...... maybe ! :lol:

Does anybody have a Dorema Mistral Ripstop? We are going to buy a porch awning and it is between the Ripstop and Kampa 260. I have read good reviews on both.

Thanks Michael

Does anybody have a Dorema Mistral Ripstop? We are going to buy a porch awning and it is between the Ripstop and Kampa 260. I have read good reviews on both.

Thanks Michael

I have one. It is very simple to put up and put away and is nice and light. The only problem I find with it is that water does seem to pool on the top so I have to go and give it a prod every now and again. It could be that I have not yet figured out how to set the correct tension in the poles or something, but all in all I am very happy with it.

I was looking for one in the middle of last year and they were almost impossible to get hold of. I managed to get what looked like an unused (sold as used) on ebay for a good price. There was no stock in the UK as confirmed by a number of dealers and they were not expecting any more until this year (Dorema had run out). Not sure if they are available now or not.

Dave

We bought a Sunncamp 220 from norwich camping and leisure for about £87. We had it up for 3 days and 2 nights. ..over the new year gales. I think it did ok for that price and should be better in summer/spring. Easy to put up and quite light and tough

• 5 years later...

Although we have been caravanning for yearsale and have a great isabella awning we are looking for a maximum 280 light weight awning which is easy to erect and take down would appreciate any advice also don't want to spend a fortune