Help Us Decide

gavsspectrum

Hi guys and gals,we are at a point (well I am mrs thinks I'm mad) where I'm thinking of changing the van or not?

The thing is its a 1991 abbey spectrum 418 4berth lightweight twin axle,and although it's been completely refurbed inside and out and looks a lot newer.

We are planning on travelling through France for 3weeks this summer plus odd weekends away, what I'm thinking is do you think the van will be too old to travel that distance?

And basically that's it so we was wondering would you guys would do?

Regards gav

abbey spectrum 418 1991,complete refurbish through out over winter 2012.

towcar,dodge nitro 2008,2. 8crd sxt auto(black beauty)

You say refurbed. What parts if the chassis have been spruced up, as that's the main thing that's going to be in demand in France.

Mind you I did see a very old twin axle and Citroen xsara Picasso on way to France that I didn't thing would even make it to Dover! The guy said to me he could go over 50 as the whole car started to shake. ..,eek!!!!

New alloys,hubs,brakes,a,frame braking mechanism,,resealed,new window seals,

Then the inside literally everything was replaced with new,any damp repaired and fully revamped for a much more modern look.

Gav, if the van works for you then why change after all the hard work. if you do change you will just be joining the majority rather than having a van that may well get you being the talk of the campsite.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

New alloys,hubs,brakes,a,frame braking mechanism,,resealed,new window seals,

Then the inside literally everything was replaced with new,any damp repaired and fully revamped for a much more modern look.

Gav - with all that done, I'd stick with it. You know what you've done/had done to it, which could be worse if you picked up something newer that had had less maintenance. Stick with it, and the road trip may renew your love for your van

Gav, A van you know and love, has everything you need and is clean current (inside) and dry.

Or

Join the many new van owners who complain of leaks, poor build quality, etc. ;)

If it's a case of appearance envy, it wouldn't cost that much to get a new paint job, you have done everything else. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Agreed, stick with it . You have done a lot of work to it, I have seen the pictures. You know it

inside out. What more could you want?? Another £10,000 and worrying about it?

(Mornin' Phil)

Edited by gravon42

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

My main issue is that the van had the stipple effect sides and plastic back, and it all gets dirty and looks grubby to quick, where as the newer vans have smooth sides that can be polished etc to look clean all the time, don't get me wrong when ours is clean it looks amazing

Gav - I put a similar post on this site last year. We have a 22 year old Vanroyce which has had a lot of refurb/updating. I asked if members thought an 800 mile+ plus journey was too much for a van this age. The replies suggested it would be OK provided the van was well maintained. The journey went well with no problems. The van had had a thorough service before going and one thing we did do was have the bearings changed, the tyres were only a couple of years old.

Like us, you have put a lot of time and effort into your van and you know it inside out. You could buy something newer but then possibly find you have to deal with all sorts of jobs that need doing before you go on your trip.

I enjoy keeping the Vanroyce well maintained, clean and polished and hunting around for the odd part. We get lots of interest and favourable comments when on site. The only thing that would make us change it would be if something went wrong with the van that was so costly that it made no sense at all to continue with it.

My main issue is that the van had the stipple effect sides and plastic back, and it all gets dirty and looks grubby to quick, where as the newer vans have smooth sides that can be polished etc to look clean all the time, don't get me wrong when ours is clean it looks amazing

Why don't you get Tourershine to give it the treatment and seal it for you. Then you won't have any issues. Drop Paul a pm.

You won't be disappointed

I've already spoke to Paul at tourer shine and he has even said to me I will never get it shiny as the stipple side vans never did give a shine off as such,

Take some Greased Lightning and a load of microfibre cloths with you. Then you can clean it to your hearts content. No hose or water needed.

Much cheaper than a new caravan. ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Better the devil you know!

You've probably got more faith in your van than lots of the folk on here who have bought recently. More than that you did the work so you probably trust yourself more than some on here would trust their dealers or manufacturers.

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

Better the devil you know!

You've probably got more faith in your van than lots of the folk on here who have bought recently. More than that you did the work so you probably trust yourself more than some on here would trust their dealers or manufacturers.

Fair comment. .....echoes my thoughts exactly. ......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I thought so when I posted a reply earlier today. .......you have your caravan up for sale!! Why??

when you have doubts about selling it. Someone may buy it as the bargain it is, and THEN you

would have doubts - and we'd all be queueing up to kick you up the backside!! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

If its dry, keep it. Amazing how many of us members have given that advice!

And enjoy your French trip.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Looking at the pictures of your van I would stick with it. You won't find anything like that on the market and you could well have problems even with a new van!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Sounds like you'd be best to stick with it. You could buy something a little newer, bit you'd still have to go over the running gear on that one. At least you know yours is sorted.