Sign in to follow this  
Andrew M

Thetford C260 Flush Pump Replacement

Hi, my caravan has been stood unused for a few months and the flush pump on the thetford c260 cassette toilet has stopped working. I think its the pump which has stuck as the 12 volt lights in the van dim when pressing the flush button (the battery is fully charged). Does anyone know where the pump is located or how to replace the pump/ dismantle the toilet.

Having gone through a very similar thing numerous times on the C250. .. My suspicion would be a seized pump impeller due to corrosion.

Not terminal if you handle it properly, the best way is to remove the pump and run it in a bucket for a few mins to free it up. You can use a small screwdriver to gently persuade the impeller to start turning again, presuming the corrosion has not gone too far.

The pump on the C250 is accessed from the cassette door, outside of the caravan, not sure about the C260 though but it's the same pump unit.

Hi, my caravan has been stood unused for a few months and the flush pump on the thetford c260 cassette toilet has stopped working. I think its the pump which has stuck as the 12 volt lights in the van dim when pressing the flush button (the battery is fully charged). Does anyone know where the pump is located or how to replace the pump/ dismantle the toilet.

Have you looked at this?

http://www. thetford-europe. com/service/downloads/files/?product-id=277

Had same problem for months with my C250 and possibly it is just terminals. .......the Thetford instructions on pump removal are spot on. ..just take care of the plastic wings when dropping it from the slot. .............

geoff

Hi, thanks for the posts but i have already looked on the thetford website and doesn't really help.

Have had the older type thetford toilet in a caravan before and had to replace the pump in that one but the C260 is completely different and i don't want to be breaking anything when trying to dismantle it, not sure if the pump is in the flush tank or not.

Edited by Andrew M

Just been looking at information on the C250 and looks very similar and there is a lot more information on them. Looks like the pump just clips up inside the cassette compartment. Will have a look tomorrow and keep you all updated.

Can anyone tell me why the flush pump thinghy, should seem to grind when used . .like it needs greasing or something.

Thanks Dode.

on the above forgot to mention my system is thetford c200 cw.

Thanks Dode.

on the above forgot to mention my system is thetford c200 cw.

Thanks Dode.

It doesn't; 'do' grease. ...but try these people. ..........http://www. thetford-europe. com/service/

geoff

Thanks shipbroker.

When I've spoken with thetford I found them to be brilliant. Even sent me parts direct (took down CRiS number of van). I had the toilet issues, and it turned out to be the switch rather than the pump. Before though they I'd they thought it was the reed switch, which they sent out. When that didn't work, spoke with them and they sent out the switch, along with instructions on how to swap it. And they rushed delivery on items as we were away for Easter.

Just in case others are struggling to find how to get at the pump on a Thetford C260, it's housed in the exterior cassette box, near the front on the right at the top. Its the blue thing.

Mine didn't work first use after the winter, even though the van was serviced in November. My symptoms were dimming lights when trying to flush, but no flush.

To remove mine, I used pliers to take off the pipe clips and removed the short pipe linking the pump to the tank (Dont forget to drain first!), and then pushed outwards (away from each other) the two blue tangs hanging down. The (blue) pump can then be pulled down.

You can just see the impeller through the pipe molding at the bottom of the pump, and I used a small screw driver to turn the impeller. After a few attempts, the button span it up and all now working on re-assembly.

Actually an easy and quick job, once the offending item and how to get at it is known!

Edited by Wes36

UPDATE -  Had 'no flush' problem on C260 this week (first time out 2018) and followed various threads for help in locating pump, but none helped. Caravan is 2014 Coachman model.  Eventually located pump by removing peel-able cover on cistern, lifting out PCB carrier, then removing screwed hatch behind. First thing you see is vacuum preventer. Lift this out and pull pipes upwards - this will lift out the pump. Little tweak with screwdriver on impeller got pump moving. Now working fine.

25 minutes ago, Matnmigs said:

UPDATE -  Had 'no flush' problem on C260 this week (first time out 2018) and followed various threads for help in locating pump, but none helped. Caravan is 2014 Coachman model.  Eventually located pump by removing peel-able cover on cistern, lifting out PCB carrier, then removing screwed hatch behind. First thing you see is vacuum preventer. Lift this out and pull pipes upwards - this will lift out the pump. Little tweak with screwdriver on impeller got pump moving. Now working fine.

There's usually a rash of such things this time of year. I'm half expecting mine to need a tweak.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, spent several hours yesterday on same problem and after following your post for 15 minutes . ...Success now have wash again :goodpost:

Many thanks for all your comments on the c260 pump issue. I was unsure if my pump had jammed or if it was electrical as it was very difficult to see any change in the lights when operated. But anyway in for a penny. ... so following your guidance about removing the label etc I was able to locate the pump. It did take quite a bit if gentle persuasion to move the impeller but perseverance paid off. Nice feeling of relief when you see that blade twitch for the first time. Anyway all good now so once again many thanks.

Thanks Steamdrivenandy did just as you said flush working in 10mins😃

A big thank you from me too. My C260 wasn’t pumping but - following the instructions given above  - all now seems OK and less than 10 minutes work required.

A forum is a wonderful thing. ..

And thanks from me too! All good after following your suggestion 👍👍

I have one of the pumps that is located under the toilet seat in the bathroom and was told to take it out through the top after removing the panel the carries the lever to open and close the toilet flap and the electric switches for the flush button'.

I  did this, the pump was junked up. cleaned it and the pump works perfectly as long as I keep putting water in the fill elbow.

A good flow, but , soon as the filler elbow is empty no more will come through to refill it. what could be wrong now . can anybody please help!!!!!

regards

nicely

Make sure you have put it back in the correct position as it sounds like it is drawing water from the top half of the tank.

On 03/04/2018 at 10:43, Matnmigs said:

Just a quick note to say 'thanks very much'

Thetford C260 stopped flushing today, although lights dimmed so I knew it was likely to be a jammed pump, but I couldn't find how to access it. Imagine a slight state of panic as I'm about to depart on our travels in a few days!

With your help it was so easy, I had the pump out and put back together and working again within 5 minutes. 

Cheers

Simon

I too had a problem with the pump on my 2015 Bailey Unicorn. which was getting slower and more laboured after every flush.  Following the instructions above is very straightforward and sure enough,  once the pump is out and then re-submerged, everything was instantly back to normal.......happy days.

Thanks guys

Phil

Pump sticks. My Thetford (C260) manual says do NOT drain the flush tank unless you are storing the van for some time. A dry pump will corrode. Not sure I believe that.  I shall remove my pump for winter. 

Dealer checked and said pump and PCB were dead. £50 + £24 for new ones! A spray of silicon did the trick. 

Anyone knowif you can add a lubricant to the water occasionally?  Might be useful. 

22 minutes ago, SwiftHalf said:

Pump sticks. My Thetford (C260) manual says do NOT drain the flush tank unless you are storing the van for some time. A dry pump will corrode. Not sure I believe that.  I shall remove my pump for winter. 

Dealer checked and said pump and PCB were dead. £50 + £24 for new ones! A spray of silicon did the trick. 

Anyone knowif you can add a lubricant to the water occasionally?  Might be useful. 

The usual pink additive is fairly slippery stuff so probably has some lubricating effect.